Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendations for 2-seater under 7.5k

• 08-03-2013 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Bit of a newcomer to the Cars section , so please excuse me if I'm breaking any rules.

I'm looking for a 2-seater, preferrably convertible, preferrably RWD and I can probably spend maximum €7.5k.

I don't mind a bit of work to do, but I'm not really equipped for major bodywork/engineering.

So...any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Mx5 is yer only man and you'd get a nice one for you're budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ugglasdav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Yeah, I had heard that the MX5 is the sensible option...couple of people whose opinion I would trust.

That MG is gorgeous mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

+1 for the MX5, I ran a 1990 model as my main transport for a while around '97. It was a lovely little go-kart of a car.

This one looks nice, maybe not the best colour but the hard top is definitely desirable from a winter & security point of view and it is well within your budget and cheap enough to run.

I changed the MX5 for a Soarer 2.5 twin turbo another basically 2 seater I could recommend but I wouldn't like to be putting petrol into it these days. It was £70 to fill it back then must be more like €200 now.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

ah yeah, ya could go and get a nice sensible reliable MX5, you could even get a decent vintage merc 350/450SL, all in all that would be a pleasent motoring experience.

OR

you could go all out and get yourself a seat of the pants adventure in motoring
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3924616

thats a proper introduction to the world of classic motoring.

ask around in the classic motoring scene, Secretly we love pain and hardship, its what unites us as a group, you'll never truly understand until you spend 9 hours elbows deep in a gearbox fixin something that was only supposed to be a five minute job, or nursing an overheating motor home from the arese end of nowhere, these are the things that define us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Hoop66 wrote: »
    Bit of a newcomer to the Cars section , so please excuse me if I'm breaking any rules.

I'm looking for a 2-seater, preferrably convertible, preferrably RWD and I can probably spend maximum €7.5k.

I don't mind a bit of work to do, but I'm not really equipped for major bodywork/engineering.

So...any suggestions?

Start at the top ?:cool:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/SL-Class/280-CABR/201307212433109/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/SL-Class/280-SLC/201305212227706/advert?channel=CARS

OR

http://www.carzone.ie/search/results?nParam=200588%2B200590&channel=CARS&sortby=Make|0&maxrows=10&page=1&lastFeaturedAdvert=16913409041341740&tab=1#nParam=200590%2B102547%2B285%2B324&sortby=Make|0&channel=CARS&currency=EUROS&searchResultsView=THUMBNAIL&maxrows=10

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    ah yeah, ya could go and get a nice sensible reliable MX5, you could even get a decent vintage merc 350/450SL, all in all that would be a pleasent motoring experience.

OR

ask around in the classic motoring scene, Secretly we love pain and hardship, its what unites us as a group, you'll never truly understand until you spend 9 hours elbows deep in a gearbox fixin something that was only supposed to be a five minute job, or nursing an overheating motor home from the arese end of nowhere, these are the things that define us
    I have owned a DS, so pain and hardship are nothing new to me...but I'm getting very lazy in my old early middle age.

I'm printing out pictures of that TVR for...reasons.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Tzar Chasm wrote: »

I'm printing out pictures of that TVR for...reasons.
    I go to sleep dreaming of TVRs. The S Series are lovely creatures! If I had your cash - and a decent contingency/annual tax budget - that's what I would go for. :)

Really, I'd like a 3000M/S/Taimar, but they're a bit rare these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

So...any suggestions?

+1 on the MX-5.

Spend 2500 on a MX-5 and you have 5k to Tour Europe in it !!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

seriously folks, the lad has a budget up to 7500

forget mazdas, buy a proper roadster

3.2 flat 6 Boxter S, with 6 months road tax to spare and all before a wrangle with the owner

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4661999

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ Just watched the (newish) Wheeler Dealers Boxter episode on Tuesday. Worth a look for anyone interested in one.

I'd say the guy who sold it to them for a grand was sick when he saw what he'd let go.

3.2 flat 6 Boxter S, with 6 months road tax to spare and all before a wrangle with the owner

Over 3k/yr to tax and insure it mind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Dades wrote: »
    ^^ Just watched the (newish) Wheeler Dealers Boxter episode on Tuesday. Worth a look for anyone interested in one.

I'd say the guy who sold it to them for a grand was sick when he saw what he'd let go.

looked at that forum and it looks like a fix

http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showforum=4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Do-more wrote: »
    ...but the hard top is definitely desirable from a winter & security point of view ...
    I beg to differ. I've owned a 1991 MX5 for 10 years now (and I love it), with no hard top. Although I had the roof slashed by a thief at Dublin Airport red long term car park, I'm not sure a hard top would have made him go elsewhere - the door locks ain't strong and you can bend the top of the door glass & get a coathanger in. It's the alarm that scared him off, the fookwit.

And as for winter, I disagree. I love driving my MX5 with the top down on crisp cold clear mornings. The MX5 has a small cabin with a great heater. And the hard top is a PITA to store unless you've plenty space. So I suggest buy the car & like I did, get the hard top later if you need it.

Enjoy! More info at MX5Ireland.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Have you actually priced road tax on a Boxster S ? It's €1,809 per year. That's €34.78 per week in tax, even those weeks you're NOT using it. Madness.

The Wheeler Dealer thing is irrelevant - they only pay £400/yr tax.

I don't car how good a Boxster is - and I'm a big Porsche fan - but the car hasn't been built that's worth paying that much tax on every year tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Something a bit different and perhaps more tax friendly too: Reliant Scimitar SS1/SST/Sabre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I hear good things about the Suzuki Cappuccino or the Smart Roadster however I think for pure fun the MX5 is hard to beat.

Some opinions I have on buying one....

I had an iS model with the limited slip diff. What a super little car.

I would try get one as close to original as possible - big tyres etc just don't work, it was designed to be low grip, easy to handle, fun.

Mk2 were probably just as good - maybe a little bit more refined with a more usable boot. Also try get leather - if there is any water getting in at all the cloth seats tend to go very musty and can start to stink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭w124man

Did I see a Honda Beat on DD recently or was I dreaming?

Advertisement