Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disciplinary At Work

Options
  • 08-03-2013 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

Recently i was asked to attend an investigory meeting to discuss "poor work performance".

This was based on three issues.

1 - I do work for an outside company which is very manual and occassionally input errors occur. When my manager seen this report he said that he understood how and why these mistakes were being made and we talked about a different process that would minimise these issues. Other complaints by the company had nothing to do with me. This company think that my sole job is working on their accounts when in fact the truth is im overloaded with work and have been told not disclose to them that i do other work.

2 - I ran a new report on new system. The figures were wrong and it only came to light the next day. I was called into a room and was told i ran the wrong the report even though I'm certain that I didn't. At the time I didn't make an issue about it as i couldnt provide proof but neither could they it was on someone's say so. Two days later it was advised that there was infact a programming error within the report but yet without proof I'm still being blamed for the botched figures and the fact that the Financial Director had to get involved. There are issues with this report as rececntly as yesterday.

3 - This relates to a mistake that i did infact make but it was 11months ago. Apologies were made to all involved at the time and a process was put in place which has been followed ever since.

My manager has now advised that he is proceeding with a disciplinary hearing quoted the second and third points as reasoning for the hearing.

Is he within his rights to do this? I feel he is getting pressure from his superiors and while trying to save his own skin he is using me as a scapegoat. He is only working there 6/7 months so i feel trying to make a name for himself. He wasnt even working there when i made the mistake 11 months ago and on numerous occassions has said that this is not him trying to get me out!

Our team has caught him out in lies lot and he says things to you that he thinks you want to hear. I think he is starting to feel the heat

Should i get the union involved

Any advice on this is much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Should you get the union involved?

If the manager is starting a disciplinary, then "hell yes" is the only answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Should this not be a disciplinary investigation. Thats's all it should be, a meeting to establish the facts and to decide on whether to proceed to a disciplinary situation. You will be asked to bring a witness and the manager will have theirs. This can be your union rep if you want it to be. Give the rep plenty on notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AStewart28

Hi wmpdd3 thanks for the post :)

I already had an investigatory meeting which was what I thought would be for establishing the facts but my manager has now brought this further?? I think he has already made up his mind about the outcome before Ive even gone into the meeting. it felt very much like he was trying to get an admission out of me rather than just asking what happened.

My union rep is coming in with me to the meeting but with never having been reprimanded in the 7yrs that i have worked there i feel it should never have even gotten to this point!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You should be asked if you have anything to add during this hearing. You could bring up you record if you wish.

At this meeting they will go through their findings from the investigation and tell you what the will have decided to do. Make sure you get a copy of the minutes of the meeting and you read it before you sign it.

Also If warnings setc are mentioned make sure you are aware how long they stay active for ie 6 months then they are wiped etc.

Advertisement