Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mould removal services in Cork City area + pricing?

Options
  • 08-03-2013 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello there,

I've a mid-sized room with a mould problem, I cleaned it with bleach but it came back after few months.

Can you suggest a firm who can assist me with this, and eventually what's going to cost? Glanmire area.

Many thanks,
    V

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Ok a few questions.

1. Are you drying any clothes indoors ?
    2. Are there vents in the rooms ?
    3. Are any of your gutters leaking etc ?
    4. Is the mould in a "wet" area such as bathroom or kitchen

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Get an RH monitor (with thermometer) for circa 20€ on amazon, to check the humidity over time in the room, this will help tell if its a ventilation/heat/cold surface problem OR a leak.
    Why not search 'mould' in the construction forum.
    An arch/ arch tech or surveyor will ca offer impartial advise

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jrky

Hello there,

Many thanks for your feedback. Meanwhile, I acquired a dehumidifier to suck the water from the air. The room is facing north so it gets no sun.

To answer the questions:
    - Yes, I was drying clothing in the room once in a while
    - No vents in the room, the room has double glazing and it's pretty tight - any thought?
    - the gutters are not leaking
    - the mold is in the bathroom, but I used to see it on paper stored inside drawers, on acrylic clothing inside the wardrobe and any object in the wardrobe - I used a bleach spray to clean it few months ago, threw away all the moldy materials, and brought in a heater on full power at that time.

The mold is now gone from the wardrobe and drawers, but not from the bathroom. I might clean it now the dehumidifier is in.

The outside humidity is sometimes 85-90%, and the inside one was aroun 80%. Now, it's down to 60%, but it might take few weeks to notice improvements.

To prevent the smell of dampness in my wardrobe, I bought 0.5kg boxes of sodium bicarbonate, and hopefully it will suck the smell.

Any suggestions what I can do from here on?

Many thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Cheapest way is to get an air brick put in. I'd also look at getting a ventilation vent.

EDIT: How old is the house? From what you say, it seems to have been built without adequate ventilation. I'd see about getting some vents put in.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

As the poster above suggests, you should have vents in every room and especially one in the bathroom which is ideally connected to an RH sensor as apossed to the light/ or manual switch,
    Also stop drying clothes in the rooms and see does this help.
    RH of 60 is normal - 80 is not and maybe the source of mould along with lack of insulation and heat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 jrky

Hey Guys,

thank you for the feedback.

I'd say the house is 20+, I'll talk to the landlord about the venting issue and see what we can do from here.

Thanks again
    V

Advertisement