Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 to 3 ft Swell NOT

Options
  • 08-03-2013 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭

I was bodyboarding off Cornish Lahinch in Clare the forecast was a maximum of a 2 to 3 foot sweel...

Paddled out duck dived a few waves the next thing no word of a lie a set of around 20 feet from the front height waves came pumping in.

There was around 10 surfers and myself on the bodyboard I duck dived the first got caught and whipped in the next 2 paddled over the last...

Off I went back to the beach,is it normally high in Cornish even with a 3 foot swell do the waves peak much higher or are rogue sets common enough ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Did you get that feeling where the massive lump in your throat disappears into a bottomless pit somewhere? ... and then you start paddling like the clappers.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

So you were surfing this, when something like this came along...?

Worst for me was being caught by an 8-10ft wave on an average 4-5ft day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

FlashD wrote: »
    Did you get that feeling where the massive lump in your throat disappears into a bottomless pit somewhere? ... and then you start paddling like the clappers.

Yeah it was something like that lol
    The last time I had a wipeout was in Oct last year...
    So it kinda woke me up :pac:

I can got out back in Fanore and Doughmore on a 6 foot swell max

But those swells on Cornish seem to be very steep and dump early

Paddled like the clappers alright had me new stealth fins on so
    I was lucky but ill be back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Geomy wrote: »

Yeah it was something like that lol
    The last time I had a wipeout was in Oct last year...
    So it kinda woke me up :pac:

I can got out back in Fanore and Doughmore on a 6 foot swell max

But those swells on Cornish seem to be very steep and dump early

Paddled like the clappers alright had me new stealth fins on so
    I was lucky but ill be back :D
    When you say it was a "2-3 foot swell" do you mean the internet forecast swell was 2-3 feet or do you mean the internet forecast predicted wave size was 2-3 feet?

What was the forecast wave period for the day? Or better again, what date was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Decos wrote: »
    When you say it was a "2-3 foot swell" do you mean the internet forecast swell was 2-3 feet or do you mean the internet forecast predicted wave size was 2-3 feet?

What was the forecast wave period for the day? Or better again, what date was it?

The internet forcast was a 2-3 feet swell
    I think the waves peak higher in Cornish too steep for my ability for now.

Fanore seems to be better even on a 6 ft sweel for bodyboarding than Lahinch

I like those waves which taper off slower rather than a dumping erratic section...

Some surfers were telling me this year, the beach in Lahinch has too many dips and hollows for a clean surf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

The internet forcast was a 2-3 feet swell
    Well the period is important. A 2-3ft swell with a period of 7 is very different to a 2-3ft swell with a period of 17. Thats probably why you were caught out. Keep an eye on the forecast period.

Advertisement