Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice with tenant issue

Options
  • 08-03-2013 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I have a house rented to a person for 4 months and they have been late with rent and are in arrears now. I have given 14 days notice. However due to issue with house they had to vacate for 4 days - issue now resolved but they say late rent is due to expenses incurred when they couldn't stay in house. Where do I stand? I gave reduction on week of issue. Can I still give 28 day termination notice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Are they on fixed or part 4 lease

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

newcorkres wrote: »
    Hi, I have a house rented to a person for 4 months and they have been late with rent and are in arrears now. I have given 14 days notice. However due to issue with house they had to vacate for 4 days - issue now resolved but they say late rent is due to expenses incurred when they couldn't stay in house. Where do I stand? I gave reduction on week of issue. Can I still give 28 day termination notice?

if they paid their outstanding rent within the 14 days then you cannot issue a termination notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 newcorkres

they signed a 12 month lease, not sure of the difference between fixed or part4 lease?

Unfortunately they have only paid a fraction of what is due.

they signed a 12 month lease, not sure of the difference between fixed or part4 lease?

is this due to a dispute over the 4 days where they couldnt stay or are they in arrears and have failed to pay within the 14 day notice you issued

If its the former Id thread carefully. If its the latter then you should issue a notice of termination.

Ensure you are doing this precisly correctly. Every i dotted every t crossed.

Hi, it's a fixed term contract but within the first 6 months.

• Advertisement

They did not dispute the 4 days or complain about the reduction I gave, just said they had no money because of it. I offered alternative shared accommodation for the 4 days but was refused. They are receiving rent supplement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

They did not dispute the 4 days or complain about the reduction I gave, just said they had no money because of it. I offered alternative shared accommodation for the 4 days but was refused. They are receiving rent supplement.

If they had additional expenses because of it these should be reasonable and vouched. You have not been given vouchers. If the tenant just went drinking because they shouldn't expect you to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

At the risk of sounding like Im on my high horse, if you are renting a property then this is the sort of thing that you are supposed to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If my landlord got me to move out for a few days, you may be sure that he would pick up the bill for a hotel and food as I would no longer have a kitchen to prepare my own.

ted1 wrote: »
    If my landlord got me to move out for a few days, you may be sure that he would pick up the bill for a hotel and food as I would no longer have a kitchen to prepare my own.

The OP gave them a discount that week he also offered them alternative accomadation during the days in question.

You cant say fairer then that. The OP met every obligation they needed to for their tenant.

• Advertisement

D3PO wrote: »

The OP gave them a discount that week he also offered them alternative accomadation during the days in question.

You cant say fairer then that. The OP met every obligation they needed to for their tenant.
    Offered shared accommodation for moving out if a private dwelling not good enough in my point of view

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I have to say I wouldnt be over the moon at being offered shared accomodation either.

ted1 wrote: »
    Offered shared accommodation for moving out if a private dwelling not good enough in my point of view

where does it say it was a private dwelling. For all we know the tenant was already in shared accomadation.

either way its off topic on the thread its been confirmed this is nothing to do with the arrears situation.

D3PO wrote: »
    where does it say it was a private dwelling. For all we know the tenant was already in shared accomadation.

either way its off topic on the thread its been confirmed this is nothing to do with the arrears situation.

I have a house rented to a person

right there opening line!!

Advertisement