Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for growing facial hair?

• 08-03-2013 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Long story short.. My son and his pal were walking home at 6pm on a lovely day approx 1 year ago. Unfortunately,they came across a complete lunatic which resulted in my son having 14 stitches on his face. He has been left with a terrible scar across his cheek and is now really conscious of it. I have been out with him numerous times and I have seen the way people look at him as if he is a toughie,which believe me he isn't. Anyway he is desperate to grow a beard to hid it but he has little if no facial hair. Anyone know of methods to improve or speed up facial growth.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

shaving does not help hair growth...
    --edit

i swear there was a post here i was replying to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I don't think there is anything to speed things up. Have you ever tried things like bio-oil on the scar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Very little can be done to promote facial hair growth, as far as I know. How old is your son, btw? If he's in his early teens, he might not be able to grow anything other than fuzzy stubble, unfortunately.

I'd also go along with the bio-oil suggestion to hide the scar. Consult your GP or pharmacist and they might be able to help you out with something to help hide the scar more.

I'm sorry to hear something like this happened to your son. I hope he's ok otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Avasa

Try pure aloe vera gel from health food store or directly from the plant. Works wonders!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

To be honest, little can be done to get facial hair to grow quicker.

When I was your son's age I still had a very smooth face, and no real hair grew till I was 19 or so and now I have a proper beard.

Also, and this is the part I don't like to say. I'm fairly sure that hair won't grow from a scar, so unless it's quite low on his face, a beard my not cover it.

As a second note, as he grows up and depending on himself and how he carries himself, some girls do love a bloke with scars :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Rogaine is cited as working on beard forums
    It's the drug people put in their bald patches
    Have ye looked into plastic surgery ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Hopsin

I hate to be the bringer of bad news.

But, a facial hair wont cover it. I have a scar on my face since I was 17 when I was mugged. If anything stubble really accentuates it and makes it far more noticeable. Perhaps a full proper beard would cover your sons, but, for me, I just cant seem grow one at all. Hopefully your son wont have this issue.

As for making you popular with the ladies. This pisses me off. Everybody says "oh the ladies must love you". No. Not really. It makes you popular with the girls that you probably dont want. Think: secondary school drop out, drug taker, living in a council house, is a huge club rat, and has had more one night stands and boyfriends then youve had hot dinners. I can get any amount of those girls. But sure whoever needed a scar to get that kinda girl.

And unfortunately, it does tend to scare off the "quality" girls.

And its like a huge banner to the Gardai saying "hey search me under the misuse of drugs act every time you see me".

Employers can be a bit judgemental too.

Well at least thats my experience over the years. I dont mean to sound so bitter, but having a face scar is the bane of my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

Hair wont grow on the scar so unless he lets it get very long and brush it over it, its not going to make a difference. Also what age is he? Ive had a little bit of facial hair since i was about 17 but couldnt grow a full beard until about a year ago. im 24 now with a big full beard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Moving this to Facial hair and hats as I think you'll get better advice here OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Try look at getting silicone strips to lighten the scar. (I have had some moderate to decent success with them) If that doesn't reduce it enough for you, go see a clinic that specializes in scar treatment. Depending on the type of scar involved, there could be a number of options.

As for growing a beard - minoxidil will absolutely facilitate facial hair growth. However, it's still up in the air whether or not the facial hair will remain when treatment ends. There are also potential health problems from having high doses of minoxidil in your bloodstream. It's typically used on the scalp, where less is absorbed into your blood stream.

Lot's of posts on this forum documenting minoxidil + beard growth: http://jefffsbeardboard.yuku.com/forums/65/Facial-Hair-Help-Questions-First-Beards/Facial-Hair-Help-Questions-First-Beards#.UTtHidZA2VZ

But I would opt to visit a scar surgeon to see if they can do anything for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 kennyboy9563

Hopsin wrote: »
    I hate to be the bringer of bad news.

But, a facial hair wont cover it. I have a scar on my face since I was 17 when I was mugged. If anything stubble really accentuates it and makes it far more noticeable. Perhaps a full proper beard would cover your sons, but, for me, I just cant seem grow one at all. Hopefully your son wont have this issue.

As for making you popular with the ladies. This pisses me off. Everybody says "oh the ladies must love you". No. Not really. It makes you popular with the girls that you probably dont want. Think: secondary school drop out, drug taker, living in a council house, is a huge club rat, and has had more one night stands and boyfriends then youve had hot dinners. I can get any amount of those girls. But sure whoever needed a scar to get that kinda girl.

And unfortunately, it does tend to scare off the "quality" girls.

And its like a huge banner to the Gardai saying "hey search me under the misuse of drugs act every time you see me".

Employers can be a bit judgemental too.

Well at least thats my experience over the years. I dont mean to sound so bitter, but having a face scar is the bane of my life.

thanks to all for all the advice, btw my son is 17. Hopsin, I can fully understand any bitterness you have for I can see it growing in my son. He has been left scarred for life through no fault of his own and unfortunately he has been stopped and searched by the Gardai purely and simply because they have made an instant judgement on him. I feel so sad for him because life is hard,but his has been made harder by the actions of a complete animal. I have bought bio-oil and other items recommended, hopefully something will lessen the appearance of it. Many thanks to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Advertisement