Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BC Driving License

Options
  • 08-03-2013 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

I've recently moved to BC, and from what I can read I can use my Irish driving license for up to 90 days. However to get a BC license I have to surrender my Irish license: http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/moving-dl/other_most

Does anyone know if I do this, when I go back to Ireland permanently can I easily get my Irish License back? I don't really want to have to go through the Irish Driving test again!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

You're supposed to surrender your Irish one in Ontario too, but they didn't take mine. I think the fact that you're a temporary worker means you get to keep it, but I'm not 100% on that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

fergusb wrote: »
    I've recently moved to BC, and from what I can read I can use my Irish driving license for up to 90 days. However to get a BC license I have to surrender my Irish license: http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/moving-dl/other_most

Does anyone know if I do this, when I go back to Ireland permanently can I easily get my Irish License back? I don't really want to have to go through the Irish Driving test again!

Unless you're staying im surprised they do. Whats the process in Ireland if you lose your current license? I had to give up my British license here but i'm staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

Thanks for the replies, will call into the licencing office in Vancouver at some point and see what they say. I guess when I go back to Ireland I could always 'lose' it and get a replacement. I think all you need is a police cert saying you've lost it.

Tell them you travel back to Ireland quite regularly and need it for insurance purposes while you're there, it it comes to it

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

Will try and hold onto my Irish license when I go for my BC one. I also emailed the RSA in Ireland asking if I can get my Irish license back when I return to Ireland and they said no problem as long as the original license hasn't expired. Otherwise would have to start from the beginning all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

Whats the story with the international driving license that you can get for like 20 euro? will that work in BC?

cuterob wrote: »
    Whats the story with the international driving license that you can get for like 20 euro? will that work in BC?
    My understanding is it'll work anywhere but you'll have a hell of a time getting insured on it

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mike Clerk

International driving license is very necessary specially when you would be transferred from one country to the other and in Europe it is not very costly and is about 20 to 30 Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

In canada you can not legally hold 2 drivers licenses in different countries, they won't take your old one from you you just have to declare that it is cancelled, whether you do so is up to you, they won't check it, i have a irish and a BC license for over 10 years now, i just keep renewing them both

Advertisement