Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Welfare fraud

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

Yep, there are 9 countries in the world where taxes are higher
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/47290212/page/2
    But if you will take in account crap services what people are getting for their taxes, Ireland become definitely place where people taxed to the balls

Your link refers to 2010, the UK tax is 45% as of today. Higher rate of tax is on a sliding scale surely they do not have to pay the full amount of tax on all their earnings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

Maura74 wrote: »
    Your link refers to 2010, the UK tax is 45% as of today. Higher rate of tax is on a sliding scale surely they do not have to pay the full amount of tax on all their earnings.
    Agree - it much worse now
    With 52% marginal Ireland is on 7th place
    35i4xp3.png
    http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/scr/2012/cr12265.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

35i4xp3.png

I can counter your statistics with more statistics

http://www.publicpolicy.ie/budget-2013-progressivity-of-irish-income-tax-system/
    Crikey I never realised how high German income tax is :-O

http://www.publicpolicy.ie/budget-2013-progressivity-of-irish-income-tax-system/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

Me too

Now we are moving to effective tax rate stats

2n24oqd.jpg

http://www.kpmg.com/Global/en/IssuesAndInsights/ArticlesPublications/Documents/individual-income-tax-social-security-rate-survey-September-2011.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

morlock_ wrote: »

Some of the married men I work with pay less tax than I do because they have children and despite their millions in the bank are still entitled to collect child benefits...do you think that's a fair system? That I be expected to subsidise a benefit they clearly don't need?

I know it's April 1st n'all,but what colour is your collar Morlock ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

thebman wrote: »
    That completely ignores the point that the person didn't know what they were supposed to be claiming because the system is too complex.

The department should have worked with them to help resolve the issue rather than cut them off as these are peoples lives.

They were trying to sell the land but it got into a legal dispute with the people they were trying to sell it to and the whole thing got held up because the people buying the land started messing about. It was at that point that they decided to get out of the sale because of the messing about which is why I suspect this person reported them.

Or maybe because some people think that €186 pw from the state is automatically theirs and they can do what they want - work cash in hand, go back to college, not bother looking for a job.

No matter how complex the system is, your friend should have said "I'm now no longer looking for a job and going back to college" to welfare and hoped that they would give him a back to education grant. Or, if he was concerned as to whether he would get it or not, he should have made an inquiry before going back to college. Instead he made the conscious decision to go back to college, not tell welfare and keep claiming Jobseeker's Allowance/benefit.

I don't believe he genuinely thought it was too complicated because picking up the phone and asking someone, calling into their offices or going online can get the answer straight away. It's a pretty poor excuse to not do the most basic inquiry, especially since it is no harder than filling in the forms for a college place. In fact, I would go so far as to say if he can't figure out how to ask a simple question he probably shouldn't be in college anyway.

So less of the cap in hand my poor friend routine - he made a fraudulent claim and was caught out. He should be prosecuted and, if convicted, given a hefty fine/community service and made pay back what he took, if not sent to prison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

In fact, I would go so far as to say if he can't figure out how to ask a simple question he probably shouldn't be in college anyway.

It's probably verging on OT,but this is actually somewhat too valid a point......:(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Why am I expected to pay more tax because I'm single?
    It's almost like you're punished in Ireland for being single and having no kids, I doubt it's the "same everywhere"
    I strongly agree with this! what is the reason or logic for it?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

morlock_ wrote: »
    Why am I expected to pay more tax because I'm single?
    It's almost like you're punished in Ireland for being single and having no kids, I doubt it's the "same everywhere"

I don't think you understand what you're talking about there...

A married couple is 2 people - they get 2 peoples' tax credits and cut-off points. It's up to them how to use those credits & cut-off points. Or do you think people with families should pay more taxes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

The article has statistics for the types of claims but it does not offer any opinion on the figures or the system in general.

My gripe would be with pensions, and the lack of means-testing there. With people living so long, 66 is, in my opinion, too young to be 'entitled' to a pension for a start. Pension fraud I can hazard a guess is something not looked upon as likely, and attempts to investigate would be met with opposition in the form of statements claiming that old people are vulnerable, have earned that pension, and fraud would be very small among that group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

The article has statistics for the types of claims but it does not offer any opinion on the figures or the system in general.

My gripe would be with pensions, and the lack of means-testing there. With people living so long, 66 is, in my opinion, too young to be 'entitled' to a pension for a start. Pension fraud I can hazard a guess is something not looked upon as likely, and attempts to investigate would be met with opposition in the form of statements claiming that old people are vulnerable, have earned that pension, and fraud would be very small among that group.

What kind of fraud are you referring to w.r.t. pensions? There have been cases of people collecting for dead people, one famous case was only found out after they thought the pensioner was 100 and found out he was dead for over 20 years.

antoobrien wrote: »
    What kind of fraud are you referring to w.r.t. pensions? There have been cases of people collecting for dead people, one famous case was only found out after they thought the pensioner was 100 and found out he was dead for over 20 years.

Well there was widespread tax evasion amongst many pensioners up to recently.http://www.thejournal.ie/115000-pensioners-told-youll-have-to-pay-more-tax-321089-Jan2012/

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭schnitzelEater

We need to stamp out welfare fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭EvanCornwallis

We need to stamp out welfare fraud.

This. Although maybe you guys should of started years ago, but no one cared when things were good.

No point in trying to stop government fraud , because that's the way of the world. It's one rule for us and another for you, it always has been and will never change.

All luck of the draw to what situation you are born into to. End of the day, I do feel for people in hard situations , but like the government , bankers etc etc , my life will go on and I'll be playing golf this week and going out for expensive meals.

What I'm saying is, the only person that cares about you is you and some select others if you are lucky. If I was in the situation of lost job and ridiculous tax after tax being thrown at me , I'd fraud , steal, cheat do anything.

As it is , they don't really affect my pocket to any great effect , so I just pay without questioning. Even though it's a joke the things that are happening .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

If the names of people who were stung doing social welfare fraud were printed in the paper or put on a Welfare Fraud Site... i have a feeling it would make a HUGE difference..>Can you imagine the embarressment/?!
    Why are the names not published?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

If the names of people who were stung doing social welfare fraud were printed in the paper or put on a Welfare Fraud Site... i have a feeling it would make a HUGE difference..>Can you imagine the embarressment/?!
    Why are the names not published?

Ffs you couldnt embarress these people they simply dont give a rats arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Ffs you couldnt embarress these people they simply dont give a rats arse

Maybe a lot of them but there are certainly plenty who would be mortified!
    I know a couple currently screwing the state and i KNOW if there was the chance of their name being published they would think again about what they are doing:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭skafish

Maybe a lot of them but there are certainly plenty who would be mortified!
    I know a couple currently screwing the state and i KNOW if there was the chance of their name being published they would think again about what they are doing:cool:

Have you reported them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

I know a couple currently screwing the state :

Screwing the state , isn't that what everybody in Ireland strives for?

• Advertisement
Advertisement