Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High speed internet in Kilminchy

• 08-03-2013 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

BTW I'm talking about Kilminchy, Portlaoise.

From what I can tell many places in that area are not served by fiber, like UPC.

What kind of providers are offering services there, what speeds and what are your impressions in that regard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

I saw a UPC van in the estate the other day. I asked the driver if the estate was getting UPC. He said no. The reason Kilminchy is not getting it is because they need to dig up part of some woman's garden and she won't allow it to be done.

They offered her great discounts and offers for the UPC but she won't do it.

The UPC guy told me there was a similar situation in an estate in Newbridge and the residents association got together and managed to convince the owner to go ahead with it for the benefit of the estate.

So we need some sort of residents association if Kilminchy if its going to work the same way as other estates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

I saw a UPC van in the estate the other day. I asked the driver if the estate was getting UPC. He said no. The reason Kilminchy is not getting it is because they need to dig up part of some woman's garden and she won't allow it to be done.

They offered her great discounts and offers for the UPC but she won't do it.

The UPC guy told me there was a similar situation in an estate in Newbridge and the residents association got together and managed to convince the owner to go ahead with it for the benefit of the estate.

So we need some sort of residents association if Kilminchy if its going to work the same way as other estates.

Sorry, but that's a load of BS the driver was filling you with.....
    Only the front row of houses, the 3 story ones have cabled tv which is probably fibre powered by now.

When Kilminchy was being built in 1999/2000, Chorus were doing well and cabling new estates as they were being built.
    But late 2000 or 2001, Sky dropped the installation price of their new Digital system from £450 down to £50.
    Chorus's installations dropped like a rock, and management gave the decision not to spend any further money cabling estates as there was not take up in it.
    So this is where it stopped for Kilminchy, only the first row of 3 storey houses have cable tv.
    And on top of all that, the fibre stops at the Killeshin Hotel and would take a lot of civil works to get to Kilminchy, let alone dig it all up as there is not empty ducting for upc/chorus to use.

Advertisement