Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Browser for TV ? DVD / Blue Ray

• 08-03-2013 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭

Hi all - I hope this is an appropriate post for this forum.

I discovered recently that there are Blue Ray players with Internet/wifi and access to Netflix and RTE Player etc etc.

I wondered, is there any unit (DVD or otherwise) with a quality browser where I could browse the net satisfactorily through the (HD) television I have ?

I watch a lot of youtube and a few other web sites with high video content and would like to do it in front of the tv rather than in my room on the computer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This Sony BDP - S790 has got very good reviews, http://www.sony.ie/product/blu-ray-disc-player/bdp-s790 the €299 price seem a bit strong, i'd say it could be picked up for 100 less.
    You can open a site on your phone and flick it over to the TV, I haven't seen it in action but it's got the what hifi player of the year award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

@ drunkmonkey - Thanks .. it doesn't have a browser it seems ... but I know what you're getting at.

It has a browser as far as I know, but you need to do the typing from your phone, there's a sony app in the ios and android marketplace, it's €229 on Richer sounds http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/sony/bdps790/sony-bdps790

I've a logitech revue I use for doing what your after but it's not a blue ray player, the picture is pretty good though from Netflix Super HD if you use the US netflix.

Yup you can surf the web see here http://www.whathifi.com/review/bdp-s790

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The Sony 390/590/790 series came out in 2012 and is the earliest series of Sony players that support Netflix. I wouldn't rely on a browser as navigating around the screen with a remote control is a nightmare but you will have a Youtube video channel via the Sony player which makes navigating easy as you won't be relying on Flash support.

The 2013 range of Sony players starts with the S1100 but that has no internet support. The S3100 supports Wi-Fi and is priced at €139 on the Sony Ireland website or £118 on amazon.co.uk

The S4100 supports 3D but not Wi-Fi, the S5100 supports 3D and Wi-Fi

The link will show you a side by side comparison of the three 2013 internet-enabled Sony Blu-Ray players.

http://www.sony.ie/product/CompareProducts.action?site=odw_en_IE&sectiontype=Product&models=BDP-S3100&models=BDP-S4100&models=BDP-S5100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Thanks guys ! I will check those out :)

• Advertisement

You can pick up the s790 now on the Sony outlet store for €163 delivered if you use parcel motel for the first time. It's got the full warranty as new. It's as cheap as I've see one..

https://outlet.sony.co.uk/shop/Blu-ray-Disc%26%238482%3B/Blu-ray-Disc%26%238482%3B-Player/BDPS790B.CEK.A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'd steer clear of the 2012 models (Sx90) at this stage, there's bound to be some new VOD service that they won't support. This happened me when I bought a 2011 model (S480) only to discover that it doesn't support Netflix.

Wait for the Sony S5100 if you want 3D and Wi-Fi support but if you don't need 3D then the S3100 will give you all you need and it's available now at just £112 (sterling) on Amazon UK and it's got 'Super Saver Delivery' against it which usually means they will ship free to ROI.

Just an update for the Sony S790 very impressed, blue ray picture is perfect and it has no problem belting out DTS audio, watched Skyfall first I could hear the helicopters flying around the room. It plays SACD's so i'm dying to try one out next in 5.1.

I'm using an american dns so I can use the american netflix, once I input the american dns I lost TV3, BBC iPlayer, Sky News and 4oD and probably some more.

I've now got for video services: ( haven't even tried a 1/10 of them)

Sony Video Unlimited
    Amazon Instant Video
    VUDU
    Hulu Plus
    Free Hollywood Movies & TV Series (unedited full length & on demand)
    Fitness & Wellness
    NHL Game Center
    3 Net
    Weather Nation
    Wild TV
    Aol On
    Celeb TV
    Revision3
    Popcornflix
    ACC Digital Network
    Snag Films
    Wealth TV
    Blinkx
    TMZ Video
    Break.com
    Indaba Music
    Billabong
    Cult Movie Network
    Moviefone
    Vimeo
    Taylor Swift & Sony
    The Wiggles
    Euro News
    HuffPost Live
    Canal
    3D Experience
    Yoga for Everybody
    Yupp TV
    Watchindia TV
    XOS College Sports
    TV Guide
    Wired
    Launch Pad
    Epicurious
    Concierge
    Cinema Now
    Style.com
    SGNL by Sony
    Sony Digital Concert Series
    Dailymotion
    Newslook
    uStudio
    Golflink
    Livestrong
    Flixter
    Singing Fool
    eHow
    Podcasts
    Garage TV
    Terra TV
    elGourmet
    Cosmopolitan TV
    VxV
    Green TV
    DW
    Russian TV

That's just the video, you then have apps like Skype, Facebook, Opera TV Store, Soy Music Unlimited, Slacker, Quello HD Concerts, NP Radio, Pandora, V Tuner etc the list goes on,

It's a very easy player to control from your phone, I used the bundled remote to first set it up and haven't used it since, there's no need you phone has full control of the player.
    The one place i'll fault the player is that the web browser doesn't support FLASH but it's an all round great piece of kit if you can live without flash.

I think it's time for the sky subscription to be cancelled, finding it very hard to justify now.

Advertisement