Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postage!!!

• 08-03-2013 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

I've been on the lookout for a gbb pistol on the airsoft adverts section so I'm lurking there quite a bit.
    Now quite a bit I've noticed people are totally against the idea of postage. Selling something for 100+ euro but won't post even when the buyer offers to pay?
    Boggles my mind! If you are selling something why would you cut of your market almost immediately?
    Any ideas out there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Perhaps they want you to try before you buy so no after sale bitching, or they want to make sure you're over 18, or they're concerned the gun might get lost or damaged by An Post etc. if you want a gun that badly, why not travel to the seller or meet halfway? If you don't drive, there's the train/bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

Because I can walk into a shop here and pay a little extra and buy new. Why would I drive and lose any savings on diesel etc!? Never thought about the under 18s thing to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Something like this came up before, and jesus did it kick off. Their are a number of reasons, dave made a good point about try before you buy, some people just cant get to a post office due to work commitments or distance, some people are not comfortable with sending RIF's via post and the good ole reason they could not be holed but I'd imagine this is a very small minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭backthephilup

Nothing beats meeting face to face with someone to ensure your both happy with the deal and there's no confusion about anything. Also you generally meet some pretty cool people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

I guess so. But its still annoying when you see exactly what you are looking for, at a price you are more than happy to pay, but the deal can't go through. Just a thought I had!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

Or maybe its because people just couldnt be a*sed posting boxes, its the main reason I dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

$kilkenny wrote: »
    Or maybe its because people just couldnt be a*sed posting boxes, its the main reason I dont.

And judging by some of the parcels that I've received from An Post, it looks like they were used as a football at some point in the delivery chain. Plus as someone who's recently had goods destroyed by customs (laser and M4 handguard) after they were judged to be "weapons", I wouldn't feel comfortable posting a RIF in case someone got the wrong idea and the Gardai's ERU then came and kicked down my door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Boxes are easily damaged/torn. More than once, I've seen boxes arrive with barrels poking out. Imagine how that looks to the wrong person?

Even at that, there's a huge personal insurance in meeting them. Checking it over, pointing things out, and generally offering a friendly face and handshake. It all goes a huge way toward customer satisfaction, and easy ironing out of potential issues.

As mentioned, the U18 element is a big deal too, but so is someone being "undesirable". I'd have huge issues with selling any of my gear to someone I didn't know or meet, if only to ensure they're not going to act the maggot with it (or me, on a payment front).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Reserving the right not to post can be for a lot of different reasons, be they security based, peace of mind or hassle. Personally speaking I want to do cash deals based on the item as described AND ratified by personal inspection. You can inspect the item, ensure you are happy with the terms (i.e. second hand sale; zero warranty - test it out and make sure you're happy with the price for the item as you see it) - no claims of damaged in transit etc, and no dodgy paypal 'goods not received' scams.

Not only that but from my perspective I want to inspect the buyer; are they responsible individuals whom are not likely to cause me aggravation in the future? After all, I just want an easy life. Posting invokes all kinds of complications and possibilities that I would rather avoid. Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely opposed to it...but I would rather not have the hassle of buying packing material, wrapping it up well and then being open to even more hassle after that.

Similarly when buying, wouldn't you prefer to inspect? I know I would!

Advertisement