Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incompetant Eustachian tube

• 08-03-2013 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

I have deafness in one ear due to clogged middle ear as a result of blocked tube to throat. I have had grommuts twice in past 5 years and lengthy antibiotics but now deafness is as bad as ever.

Does anyone know of any alternative therapy that might unblock tube? such as cranial manipulation or even acupuncture!

I have good hearing in the other ear and wonder if a hearing aid would be worth going for? Lopsided hearing means you cannot locate direction of a sound and background noise makes conversation hearing difficult.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TAPlank

Was in a Chiropractic clinic to-day and saw a reference on a VDU there that seemed to relate to such problems, check it oit..

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Thanks for that. Since I posted I have had good results from wee balloons that you blow up with nose to create gentle pressure in sinus etc. Hearing has improved - not perfect but a lot less frustrating. I got the balloons online name of Otovent if I am allowed to mention a name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Annie you should read up on this:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valsalva_maneuver

- If you practice you should be able to equalise pressure in problem ear without any product etc - prob by just casually blocking nostrils and gently directing air into middle ear.

* Obvious warning is that if this is done with force etc etc your eardrum will rupture onto your neighbours lawn!!!

Thanks for that link Joe. Yes I have tried that but feared I would block up other ear and it never seemed to give relief. I probably left it too long and ear too clogged by then. Also I was worried of dizziness and setting off nosebleed of delicate nose :) The small balloons are more gentle and seem to affect the relevant ear. I will see what a chiropractic can do as need to get dodgy back sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 revieman

I've had great success with Otivent and using Apple Cider vinegar to dilute the mucus so that the ear clears more easily when you use the balloons. Had major hearing loss over many years... had multiple grommets and eventually got one hearing aid. Wish someone had told me about Apple cider vinegar ...would have save years of not hearing!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. Do you just take a swig of apple cider in warm water once a day as per usual advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 revieman

Yep, take 2 tablespoons in water in morning. Took about 10 days to see any benefit. My right ear had been clogged up for 8 months, with very little hearing in it. Hadn't been able to pop ear for over a year. Was actually going back to consultant for grommets... again, until somebody told me about this. I have kept up the regime of ACV and otovent every day and had much improved hearing!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Cróga

Does anyone know of any alternative therapy that might unblock tube? such as cranial manipulation or even acupuncture!

Try the Modified Muncie Technique http://www.docstoc.com/docs/91624266/Modified-Muncie-Technique-Osteopathic-Manipulation-for-Eustachian

Thank you - that is very interesting. Just need to find someone skilled in same in this country.

:( not a DIY technique!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Cróga

Thank you - that is very interesting. Just need to find someone skilled in same in this country.

:( not a DIY technique!

Try it yourself. I did, im not sure if it helps drain the ear but I did notice a salty taste afterwards (probably from previous sinus rinses).

• Advertisement
Advertisement