Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning pregnant after maternity leave

• 08-03-2013 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

Is anyone else in the same boat? I'm due back late April and due early September. I'm going to tell my boss the score before I'm back to work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Please don't take this the wrong way as it's really not meant in a bad way - but i'm just wondering what the point of your post is and maybe people can help further?

are you very nervous or apprehensive about telling your boss?

it happened to a friend of mine - she's permanent with HSE though and she didn't have any qualms about it. It also happened to another friend who works for a private company - now she told them after she was back in work a good few weeks. Although you probably won't be able to hide it in April if you're due in Sept. That said, this friend had 2 under 1 (yes, you read that right - a week before her son's first birthday) and she was also showing but no one would ever have the nerve to ask....nor should they.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I was 8 weeks when I went back - didn't tell anyone til 16 weeks, but its not the same as I'm the boss. I'm sure it happens all the time tho - it's quite amusing to answer all the smart comments about when u going to start again soon with.. Well actually....!! He look of shock is priceless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I was pregnant when I went back but I had no idea. Private sector. I was 22 weeks when I told my employer but I thought I was 10 weeks less.

It does happen and yes I think you are kinda 'written off', nobody expects you to return after you have 2 under 2.

Just remember its your choice when you tell them, obviously you have to get them to fill out the maternity leave form but other than that and unless your job puts your health at risk, you dont have to tell your employer at a certain time. ie 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

There is less than 15 months between mine I was due to be back at work for just a few months but due to complications I wasn't back at all. Back at work full time now and well into it, it's busy. Work were fine I told them a few weeks after my scan at 12 weeks as I wanted them to have as much notice as possible. Im sure they went jumping for joy with me but I'm back like I never left and am respected as much as I was beforehand.

Advertisement