Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun cartridge prices!!!

Options
  • 08-03-2013 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Just went into Galway today to buy a slab of cartridges and they had gone from €45 for eley olympics 3 weeks ago to €59.50 today????
    What the hell is that about? Is it the same everywhere else?
    Why has it jumped so much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I bought .22 ammo a few weeks ago and it was 25% dearer than it was at Christmas. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭duckman!!

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I bought .22 ammo a few weeks ago and it was 25% dearer than it was at Christmas. :(

Ya I noticed that as well a few weeks back but I only paid 2 or 3 quid more so wasn't to bad, but this is a jump of €14.50

Soon enough I won't be able to afford to do anything but stay at home and scratch me bollocks!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Silly question. Are you sure you were looking at the Eley Olympic?

I used the Olympic from time to time, but much preferred the Eley Superb. They are roughly €15 per slab more than the Olympic. When Eley were 40 i was paying 55 for Superb. Obviously the price went down depending on amount bought.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Silly question. Are you sure you were looking at the Eley Olympic?

I used the Olympic from time to time, but much preferred the Eley Superb. They are roughly €15 per slab more than the Olympic. When Eley were 40 i was paying 55 for Superb. Obviously the price went down depending on amount bought.

haha im pretty sure i was looking at olympics!!
    they have been €45 for the last few years and the superbs were €70
    ive always used the superbs in my semi-auto, it had trouble recycling the olympics but i bought a new semi-auto a few weeks ago which has no problems recycling the olympics so theres no point paying more for superbs!!

where do you buy superbs for €55????

duckman!! wrote: »
    haha im pretty sure i was looking at olympics!!
    they have been €45 for the last few years and the superbs were €70
    Holy crap. "For the last few years". I was giving out to my local dealer (Sean Harding) when he went up to €45 recently. As for €70 for Superb. No offence to you, but did he use vaseline. :D That's unbelievable.
    .......... where do you buy superbs for €55????
    They have gone up slightly, but Sean Harding in Stakelums, Thurles. Good value, and when you buy in bulk he'l look after you.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

haha he used spit!!
    i know the guy for a good few years and he always gave me good deals on guns etc.

but the problem is in galway theres only a handfull of places that sell cartridges, he has been cheapist for along time,
    places were selling olympics for €55 for a good while and only lately he upped his prices.
    just checked there on sportsden.ie and there selling them for €50!!

I know they have been slowly creeping p in price, but up until 2 years ago the most i paid for Olympic was €44, and €57 for Superb.

I got deals on per 1,000 bulk buys. I have 2,500 on my license so it gave me good buying power. Plus the Father had 1,500 on his. So i could (physically) buy more cartridges than i could afford. :)

when ya buy 1000 he gives you a 10% discount alright but even then its still to much,
    i know a lad in the local gun club who buys his cartridges in massive bulk 5000+
    i might see how much he gets them in at and hopefully he can help me out!

but is there any other good cartridges out there for less?
    i no a few people use diana and rc are they any good?

RC are good. not sure on price as i've always preferred Eley. As for Diana. tried them, and while effective i was less than impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Cavan duck buster

RC are good. not sure on price as i've always preferred Eley. As for Diana. tried them, and while effective i was less than impressed.

Don't blame the cartages, ya can only blame the shooter!!! haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Ive seen pellets bounce off pigeons..

Alot of carts have different killing powers imo..

I use Sipe 32g 6's for fecking near anything..

The camo 37g in a 4 for fox and duck..

A blade of grass will hit a crow harder then any remi cart ive used.. ****ing woeful

'hdz

Don't get me wrong, i miss, and am not embarrassed to say so (well okay a little bit :D).

However i like the fact the Superb dust them, completely. The Diana broke the clays, but not dusting them. I don't know. As said i only tried a box or two. When i find a good cartridge i stick with it, and the Eley do it for me.

Same with game cartridges. I used to use Eley for years, then switched to Express, and haven't used anything since. If it ain't broke and all that guff.

Don't get me wrong, i miss, and am not embarrassed to say so (well okay a little bit :D).

However i like the fact the Superb dust them, completely. The Diana broke the clays, but not dusting them. I don't know. As said i only tried a box or two. When i find a good cartridge i stick with it, and the Eley do it for me.

Same with game cartridges. I used to use Eley for years, then switched to Express, and haven't used anything since. If it ain't broke and all that guff.

I have to agree the superbs do make dust of clays while the Olympics only seem to take a few chips off!

I have used the sipe 6 32g and there very good for most things, but
    I use remi light magnum 6 42g for ducks and geese.
    Never seen a duck get away using them!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

If your spending €70 on shells, buy Fiocchi Olympic Gold Speed, you won't look back :D It's all in the name of the shell..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I haven't bought shells in a while but id never ever ever pay more that €45 a slab.

You might have been in the same shop in Galway that tried to sell me remington 45 grn Hornets for €52 for 50.

I thought it was a tourist thing....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭CollardGreens

I'm not sure how to figure out the price differences in Ireland vs USA, but I ran into someone I know that works at a hunting store tonight and paid $29.00 (usd) for 625 rounds of .22lr (he had them hid in the back room, I was grateful to get them)

Box of 20 .308's ran me $23.00

Box of 25 shells of 12G #8 was $6.50

I believe these are good prices from what I have paid recently at other places?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cruisedub1

duckman!! wrote: »
    Just went into Galway today to buy a slab of cartridges and they had gone from €45 for eley olympics 3 weeks ago to €59.50 today????
    What the hell is that about? Is it the same everywhere else?
    Why has it jumped so much?

Get used to it guy;s . Here in the states the demand for any brand or caliber of cartridge has skyrocketed , most suppliers are placing limits on how much you can purchase at one time . The internet sites are back ordered or just plain out of stock , I dont see this situation changing any time soon .

cruisedub1 wrote: »
    Get used to it guy;s . Here in the states the demand for any brand or caliber of cartridge has skyrocketed , most suppliers are placing limits on how much you can purchase at one time . The internet sites are back ordered or just plain out of stock , I dont see this situation changing any time soon .

Im guessing thats because of the new gun laws there trying to bring in?
    everyone is trying to stockpile before it happens!!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭pilatus

cruisedub1 wrote: »

This video may be of some interest to you.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MhjEWB-n4g

Advertisement