Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWI missing or dead

• 08-03-2013 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I've been searching for a name in the CWGC graves and there are only two which might be possibles. The others I can discount as it gives their family details, these two have no family information. How can I find out if one of them is my man? I do not know for sure that he died but he seems to have disappeared during the WW1 period.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Possibly a search of the military archives in the NA at Kew? Didn't soldiers have to list a 'next of kin' on their mil. records?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

many of the surviving WW1 era military records are on Ancestry - but most (think over 60%) were destroyed during the blitz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks. My two records have no family listed on CWGC - would that mean Kew wouldn't have it either. Doesn't make sense that all the others on the list of the same name have parents/wife named but my two have zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Thanks. My two records have no family listed on CWGC - would that mean Kew wouldn't have it either. Doesn't make sense that all the others on the list of the same name have parents/wife named but my two have zero.

now that I think of it I'm not sure that attestation or service records were retained for men that died in the war.

But it's worth searching for medal cards and newspaper notices to see if there's any further details.

Do you know he was in the Army - or just that this guy disappeared around that time, could he have emigrated ?

I believe he went to war but never came back.

Edit: I was told he died and I am trying to confirm that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Just post the names here and we'll check on Ancestry for you (or post in the research a soldier thread in the WWI forum)

Thanks Ponster but I can't post the name at present. I will check out that thread you recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

PM me the name and the County (so I can check the papers if I have them)and I will see if he is there.
    Cheers.
    Tom

Advertisement