Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Gay Legal Defenses & Terms

Options
  • 08-03-2013 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I'm a first year law student, in our lecture on gay rights the other day, the lecturer discussed an interesting defense known as the "Gay Panic Defense" where the defendant enters a state of temporary insanity and rage resulting in violent self defense against the attacking homosexual!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_panic_defense

How weird is this!!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

No sorry. That's just a step too far. You're not incognito btw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 science_biggot

Strange . . . .but very ture incognito12. this defence has been used plenty in the states. Its based on the notion that the offending gay party can provoke a homocidal rage in the victim.

Case citations and reports and any in UK/Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 incognito12

Wow that's so interesting!! I believe the term for the rage that's invoked is homosexual panic, which kind makes sense when you think about it - you out with your mates, some guy tries it on with you and can't except the word NO as actually meaning no, so goes to rape you, what are you supposed to do???

i dont think incognito12 was referring to any case in particular, just the notion of gay panic defense, but to be more specific

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Strange . . . .but very ture incognito12. this defence has been used plenty in the states. Its based on the notion that the offending gay party can provoke a homocidal rage in the victim.

I suppose some people would find a gay party offensive.:D fnar fnar etc etc.

I've heard this defence mentioned but never heard an actual case cited. I would think it would be difficult to succeed with here and I think rightfully so.

well i suppose thats why its controversial . . . . i dont see the prob, but to be fair ive heard of more farcical things passing in court

Thanks science_biggot, I think this whole notion of gay panic is such an interesting term both in the legal and psychological arenas! I know there's movements been made to get it removed but in my opinion it should be more strongly evoked.

I think Cynthia Lee, from University of California is very informative in this paper about the whole defense:
    http://www.researchgate.net/publication/228139103_The_Gay_Panic_Defense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Thanks science_biggot, I think this whole notion of gay panic is such an interesting term both in the legal and psychological arenas! I know there's movements been made to get it removed but in my opinion it should be more strongly evoked.

I think Cynthia Lee, from University of California is very informative in this paper about the whole defense:
    http://www.researchgate.net/publication/228139103_The_Gay_Panic_Defense

I'd go so far as to say that "Gay Panic" on its own simply doesn't exist as a recognised defence in this jurisdiction. I don't work in the criminal field so I'm open to correction but I imagine that it could only be pleaded with provocation. I can't imagine any court holding that being propositioned by a homosexual could amount to provocation.

If we remove the sexual connotation, the normal defences might be statable.

So I agree. Like calling a traveller a traveller, when assessed in the Equality Acts and legislation it's neither defamatory nor wrong.

• Advertisement

Your right Valley, it couldn't be used without proper provocation and often fails when it is used due to strong scientific evidence to support it, I guess it was introduced at a time when there was a lot of hysteria about homosexuality and the legal systems in various countries had to be seen to offer some protection against the rights of straight men who could potentially become victimized by homosexuals.

True, but im inclined to agree with incognito12. . . .straight bashing has become fairly prominent recently, probably to do with some misplaced sense of pride, possibly because of the anger associated with homosexuality,

There are different forms of assult so i dont see why there shouldnt be various defences for them

thats a good point incognito12, i dont think it should be treated as a taboo or sensitive subject, the law is the law regardless of sexual orentation, and i think is carp to say it discrimination. . . . not using the gay panic defence because someone is gay is may also be discriminatory

Yeah exactly science_biggot, if your genuinely attacked, then you should be allowed shelter under this defense because its not your fault you were the target of some unsavory gay predator and managed to defend yourself! It should remain enforce.
    I know from having a few gay friends that they like to think they are the only minority out there that are discriminated against but that's simply not the case at all. The media likes to highlight victimization of homosexuals at every opportunity but nothing is been said about the numerous cases of 'straight bashing' that are occurring!

I'm just shocked there's no straight pride parades . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

some guy tries it on with you and can't except the word NO as actually meaning no, so goes to rape you, what are you supposed to do???

Can we come back to this part? What the hell are you alking about? If someone tries to rape you and you kill them it is self defence. I don't think rape has anything to do with homosexual panic, its more a homophobic fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭McCrack

I smell a troll and a bad one at that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement