Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Cooking Club Week 9: Key Lime Pie & Blueberry Compote

• 08-03-2013 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

For this weeks Cooking Club I've decided to go for a dessert that is really simple to make but incredibly tasty! I hope you enjoy it, and I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback :)

Ingredients:
    (Makes 1 pie or 4 to 5 individual tartlets)

300g (about 3/4 a pack) ginger nut biscuits
    2 tbsp butter (melted)

Zest and juice of 4 limes
    397g can of condensed milk
    3 egg yolks

For the vanilla whipped cream:

300ml double cream
    1tbsp icing sugar
    1tsp vanilla essence

And for the compote:

100g blueberries
    1 tbsp caster sugar
    squeeze of lime juice

Lime zest (to decorate)

Put the butter in a saucepan on a gentle heat until melted. Meanwhile, place the biscuits into a ziploc bag, and smash with a rolling pin until they become crumbs.

IMAG0276.jpg

Mix these crumbs with the melted butter and place into a greased pie tin, or 4 to 5 tartlet tins if you fancy making it in individual portions like I did. Bake in the oven at 180 c for 10 minutes, then leave aside to cool.

IMAG0263.jpg

For the filling, start by putting the eggs yolks into a large bowl and whisking for 2=3 minutes

IMAG0267.jpg

Add the condensed milk and whisk for 3 minutes.
    ee85c888-ee7c-48be-9655-f53946e7ced5.jpg

Then add the juice and zest and whisk for another 3 minutes.
    IMAG0272.jpg

Pour the filling onto the base and bake in the oven at 180c for about 15-20 minutes, until it starts going a lovely golden colour.

Let it cool, then chill in the fridge for about an hour or so.

When you're ready to serve, put the blueberries, caster sugar and lime juice into a saucepan and simmer gently for a few minutes, until the berries start to pop.
    IMAG0279.jpg

Whip the cream with the icing sugar and vanilla, and spoon it over the pie. Put a nice dollop of the compote on the plate and garnish with lime zest.

IMAG0285.jpg

IMAG0290.jpg

Enjoy!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Oh lovely.... they look delish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I love key lime pie! Will definitely give this a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Where can you buy key limes in Ireland? I've only ever seen standard limes.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Where can you buy key limes in Ireland? I've only ever seen standard limes.

I haven't had any luck finding key limes here in Dublin yet, but regular limes work just as well

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Danii86

Iv always liked the look of key lime poe but never tried it, let alone tried making it, but this seems really simple and delish, definalty going to give this a try next weekend! Might add a bit of green colouring for paddys!!😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Danii86 wrote: »
    Iv always liked the look of key lime poe but never tried it, let alone tried making it, but this seems really simple and delish, definalty going to give this a try next weekend! Might add a bit of green colouring for paddys!!😉

Green dyes a great idea, very festive! :D

Advertisement