Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the first game you remember playing?

• 08-03-2013 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

The first game I remember playing was Mountain King for the Atari 2600. As I was about six at the time it is difficult to remember too much about it and if what I do remember is how it actually was. But I think I did think it was good and I still remember the music from the game. I also think I found it very hard.

What is the first game you remember playing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

I vaguely remember playing some kind of bowling game on the original A4 sized gameboy...on playstation it was tomb raider/crash bandicoot...oh and pokemon red

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

Mario on the Gameboy. Sometime around 92.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

sonic the hedgehog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Had a 6 in 1 on Mega Drive. Had street fighter, columns, golden axe, world cup 94 and couple of others. Anyone remember that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Playing Super Mario Land on GB was my first gaming memory and pretty much one of my first memories. there are photos of me when i was 2 or 3 playing it. the gb was nearly bigger than me :pac:

and after that it was playing Sonic 1 or Command and Conquer when i was 5/6

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Hmmmmm probably this one

We got a knock off 2600 type box back in the day that had about 30 games on it, River Raid was was my favorite.

After that probably some of the Dizzy games on amstrad 464 with green screen, I can safely say I have no nostalgia for tapes and the load times and the noise lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Alex the Kid in Miracle World on Sega Master System. Santy brought it when i was 9 i think. Hours waiting for dad to wake up and tune in the tv!!

Great game, still remember that Rock Paper Scissors in game thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Had a 6 in 1 on Mega Drive. Had street fighter, columns, golden axe, world cup 94 and couple of others. Anyone remember that?

Streets of Rage
    Sonic
    italia 90
    Super Monaco GP
    The Revenge of Shinobi
    and
    columns

was on my one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

1942 on the Atari 2600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Jet Set Willy on an old commodore sometime in the late eighties/early nineties if i recall correctly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

calex71 wrote: »
    Hmmmmm probably this one

We got a knock off 2600 type box back in the day that had about 30 games on it, River Raid was was my favorite.

After that probably some of the Dizzy games on amstrad 464 with green screen, I can safely say I have no nostalgia for tapes and the load times and the noise lol :D
    river raid! brilliant. id actually fancy a game of that now for old times sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

calex71 wrote: »
    Hmmmmm probably this one

I'm pretty sure I played that at one point as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Excitebike on the NES. Build your own levels. Dlc was muck though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Midnight Resistance. Spent hours a day getting my arse handed to me by that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Frogger in Barneys amusements back in the 80's!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

One hundred and one monochrome mazes:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/one-hundred-and-one-monochrome-mazes/screenshots

But only at Christmas when my da brought home his PC from work.

I also vaguely remember a text based adventure game imaginatively called Adventure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I don't know for sure it is the first game I played, I've a feeling that honour goes elsewhere but nothing concrete... Anyway, as the thread asks, the first I remember playing was Midnight Resistance on the Commodore 64. Had lots of fun with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Vaguely remember some sort of space invaders type game on the Atari 2600 some time in the early/mid 90's, haven't a clue what it was called but spent an unhealthy amount of time on it

Earliest I remember well is boringly enough probably Tetris on the original gameboy

Super Mario Bros for the NES.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Hitch11

Maybe Choplifter - Commadore 64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCrKd0fM1CY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

Jupiter Lander, on Com modore 62 in '82. On cartridge it was too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

First ever memory of a game was one of the pong machines. Can't imagine it now, but back then it was better than breathing!

Played quite a few games on different consoles i didn't own, in shops, friends houses, etc, but here's the first games with each console i owned:

Atari 2600 - Centipede, California Games, Pole Position, Bezerk
    GameBoy - Tetris
    SNES - Super Mario All Stars
    PlayStation - Destruction Derby 2
    PlayStation 2 - Smugglers Run
    PSP - Ape Academy
    PlayStation 3 - Motorstorm
    DSi - Professor Layton
    PS Vita - Uncharted: Golden Abyss

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

tekken

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Think it was Ghosts n'Goblins in the Arcade. Either that or Jack the Nipper on the C64.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Loved it. Probably wouldn't have played it until like 5/6 years after release.. but its my earliest memory and probably the first game i ever actually completed.

Legend_of_zelda_cover_%28with_cartridge%29_gold.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Xmas Day in '88 / '89 or '90, my brother got a Nes + Zapper as a present.

First game I played was the Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt cartridge. I remember a shìtload of my relations came down that day and all played it.

Each and every one of them did that thing where they raised the controller above their head whenever they wanted Mario to jump :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭MikeD22

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Pretty sure it was Split Personality on the C64.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

James Bond, World cup (something) and some jet ski racing game on the Nintendo 64.

They were the days...

I also remember playing 'Small Soldiers ' on Playstation 1...

And of course Zelda on the 64 as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Pong.....

tumblr_lu2c3efMIm1qk4qen.jpg

Advertisement