Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the first game you remember playing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Not sure if I can remember the first one. Might have been some version of breakout on the spectrum 48k. Definitely remember Boulder Dash. Any else play it? : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Super game

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Mario...I think. The very first one. I fondly remember SMB3 that and Star fox(snes/starwing over here) as my favorite childhood games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

this thread is really dating people
    I don't think we have anything above the PS1 era
    which just goes to prove that the average gamer is now in their 30's which polls have shown to be accurate
    I'm still waiting for the day when we have total Immersovision!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fixer Upper

The first game I remember playing was called tractors and what you did was drag your trailor schoolbag through the playground behind you while making loud tractor noises. The more mud you could accumulate the more points you got....

Alas for the simpler days......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Pacman or Scramble in Dublin Airport when I was about 6. Used to love going to the airport as a kid just to play the arcade machines!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The first device in our house that played games was the Spectrum 32k (with a 16k ram pack! Woof!) so I guess it was something on that. All I can remember though is playing Hungry Horace and Dambusters with my older brother :D we've come a lonnnng way baby...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Some kind of Pong console with the rotating knob controller at my cousins.

First game on a console we owned was Centipede on the original wood finish 2600.

01-Atari2600.jpg

It broke really quickly so we got a hand me down 2600 Jr from someone my dad worked with who had moved on to a NES or Mastersystem.

sys_Atari2600JrB.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Terminator 2 on the Commodore 64 quickly followed by The New Zealand story.:) Such happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Terminator 2 on the Commodore 64 quickly followed by The New Zealand story.:) Such happy days.
    Same here with T2, finished it also . Dizzys fast food also :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Crash Bash I think.

There was another one as well I used to love playing with miniature tanks, think it was called ''something warriors''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Merl1n

Sir hero on the Commodore vic 20

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Some kind of Pong console with the rotating knob controller at my cousins.

First game on a console we owned was Centipede on the original wood finish 2600.

01-Atari2600.jpg

It broke really quickly so we got a hand me down 2600 Jr from someone my dad worked with who had moved on to a NES or Mastersystem.

sys_Atari2600JrB.jpg

We had the 2nd hand one of those jesus you're pic brought back plenty of memories 1st game i remember playing on it was Desert Falcon and unreal boxing game used to love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Anyone remember this gem? Brings me back :pac:

250px-Call_of_Duty_4_Modern_Warfare.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

This was mine. Called Fire Power. Played on DOS I think

fire_power_2.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

oh not really sure,think it could of been a crappy ascii skiing game on the spectrum zx81

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Probably centipede for the old atari 2600. That or joust.,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Skerries wrote: »
    which just goes to prove that the average gamer is now in their 30's which polls have shown to be accurate

Actually that's completely inaccurate, most gamers are around 10-19. That research that says the majority of gamers are around 30 excludes people below the age of 21.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Spyro the Dragon, I was about 7 or 8 at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I was either 8 or 9 but this was the first big foray into computer games (and also programming) for me:

speccy+james+bond+box.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

nesf wrote: »
    I was either 8 or 9 but this was the first big foray into computer games (and also programming) for me:

speccy+james+bond+box.JPG

I actually "upgraded" to that pack from a 48k

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

NTMK wrote: »
    Streets of Rage
    Sonic
    italia 90
    Super Monaco GP
    The Revenge of Shinobi
    and
    columns

was on my one
    Same as, amazing games tbh! So good.
    Alex the Kid in Miracle World on Sega Master System. Santy brought it when i was 9 i think. Hours waiting for dad to wake up and tune in the tv!!

Great game, still remember that Rock Paper Scissors in game thing!
    This as well, one of my favs, it came built in.

[
    tumblr_ldnpbmjU4D1qzrlhgo1_500.png

This. I even had dreams about it.

Haha gf just showed me this the other week as I'd never heard of it, damn that weird monster wanker!

Also some multi game on the ens or snes, one was rollerskating, one was surfing. Oh and duck shoot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Skerries wrote: »
    I actually "upgraded" to that pack from a 48k

Interestingly, the following year we were donated an Apple II with a load of games on 5.25" floppies. Spectrum games were very hard to get hold of in rural Ireland (I ended up typing in my own games in BASIC or getting cover tapes off a magazine called Sinclair User, and to this day my mother refers to all computer games as tapes!). So I ended up playing a load of games from the 80s on the Apple II, the favourite of all of them being this one:

So many keys fell victim to this game... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Pong, on a tiny black&white TV, with the oversized control paddles. Must have been about 1985, give or take.

The first one with actual sound I remember playing was probably Pac-Man in a pub in Dingle. I joined dozens of kids helping to collect glasses for the staff in the hopes they'd reward us with a shiny 10p for just one more game. Man, summer holidays used to be so great...

I will, however, hold a special place in my heart for Ikari Warriors, the first game I ever played on the Amiga in the early 90's. In my family, that theme tune is synonymous with the lot of us being stuck at home with chicken pox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That research that says the majority of gamers are around 30 excludes people below the age of 21.

Any source for that? Would come in very handy for me in work

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I found the research papers a while ago, can't find them now. The latest research is biased by counting people that play games on smartphones as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Sonic 1 On the Sega.

Age of empires on PC.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Centipede on an Oric-1, the definitive version of the game really :)

centipede_pss1.png

centipede_pss2.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Also some multi game on the ens or snes, one was rollerskating, one was surfing.

California Games? We had this on our C64 back in the day, great game!

• Advertisement

stevenmu wrote: »
    Oric-1

You had a tough childhood.

Advertisement