Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the first game you remember playing?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

ionapaul wrote: »
    California Games? We had this on our C64 back in the day, great game!

that's it, loved it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You had a tough childhood.
    You don't know the half of it. The cassette player we used for it had a dodgy jack, so if it moved even slightly during the 30 minutes it would take to load a game you were screwed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt for the Nes. Got the console with the game and a big ass tv from "Santa" Think it was around 89 or 90 and I was seven or eight.

Still the best present I have ever received in my lifetime!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Some version of Pong on a little black console with two controllers that had twisty knobs for moving the bat up/down on the screen. It would have been the early 80's.
    My dad brought it home and myself + sisters had never even imagined anything like this could exist. Being able to actually make something move on the TV was jaw-dropping!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Die Hard on the Playstation! Oh man, I remember sneaking upstairs when my brother would be playing it and just staring at the screen. I was literally in awe of the game, such a kick ass game!

When I got my own console the Nintendo 64, Goldeneye was unreal. Putting on the cheat where the characters would have big heads, I thought I was the funniest bastard ever, I don't know why!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I would like to say to everyone that played their first game on a Playstation to change your nappies. However I'd then realise that they are all legally able to buy alcohol and feel even older :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Asteroids there was a cabinet out in Dublin airport, I would have been about 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I would like to say to everyone that played their first game on a Playstation to change your nappies. However I'd then realise that they are all legally able to buy alcohol and feel even older :(

Yup I feel old talking to people who don't remember that piracy used to simply involve a double deck tape recorder and fitting multiple games onto a 90 min cassette.

Not that I ever did that. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yup I feel old talking to people who don't remember that piracy used to simply involve a double deck tape recorder and fitting multiple games onto a 90 min cassette.

Not that I ever did that. :eek:

I honestly thought i would be on the older side of this thread with a GB/megadrive

i cant believe im one of the younger ones considering those two consoles are >20 years old now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The first games I ever came across were in the arcades on Bray Seafront. (I think) Operation Wolf is one that really sticks in my mind. Around the same time, my cousin got a Speccy. Barbarian, Punchy and Target Renegade were the first ones we really spent a lot of time playing.

So the first game I ever played would be one of them. Hard to know though. Around the same time my Aunt had a 2600 so it may have been Yar's Revenge or that crappy Pacman home port.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

This crapolá
    61tSQw8HlLL._SS500_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

o1s1n wrote: »
    Barbarian, Punchy and Target Renegade were the first ones we really spent a lot of time playing.

Wow, Target Renegade. Now there is a game that I had forgotten all about. I used to have that game on the C64.

There was another game I had on the C64 that I loved but I can't remember much about it. I know it was some sort of kung-fu beat'em up and I think it had 'cheese' in the title. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Pac-Man on the Atari 2600. For years I thought it was the definitive version and wasn't aware of any kind of arcade or other version. The thing is, that as bad a conversion as the 2600 version is, it's still my favourite now.

Yar's Revenge was the first game I ever bought myself - got it from my communion money - and I still think it stands up as a great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Street Fighter 2: World Warrior. The brother used to get lamped with babysitting me, and most arcades would have more than one machine. Off he'd todd to his games, and me to mine. I'd get elbowed off by a couple of guys whenever I'd stand there gawking at the attract-screen after burning through whatever change I'd been given. I continued this habit all the way through to Super Turbo. I didn't go near Quirkey's for yonks, and when I returned, it was all Tekken cabs surround by the same eight guys who'd formed impenetrable fortresses around the things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Cant remember exactly the first game I played, but it was on an Atari 2600 over at my cousins. Could have been pac-man, could have been this scroll up the screen helicopter shooter. Good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Centipede on the 2600. Good times trying to shoot the centipedes to form what we called "chimneys" to funnel them into a killing zone. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Crystal Castles or Kung Fu Master on the Atari 2600
    International Karate Plus on the Amiga
    Mario Bros on the NES

One of the above, can't remember exactly which

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

PONG

I remember it well. Think still have it somewhere. A hand held controller that you tune into the tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Flimbo's Quest on the Commodore. The Commodore came with a cartridge that had a few games on it, Flimbo's Quest being one of them. (Fiendish Freddies Big Top O' Fun was another, fucking game scared me off circuses/clowns for life)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

fantasy-world-dizzy_18.gif

Dizzy's Fantasy World was another I played to death but never got close to finishing as I was too young. I remember it being very unforgiving. Some of the enemies used to terrify me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Not entirely too sure, was either 1943 or Outrun on C64.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Desert Strike: Return to the Gulf was another game that mesmerised me as a child. Kinda still does now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Desert Strike: Return to the Gulf was another game that mesmerised me as a child. Kinda still does now.

Since didn't see the video because I'm at work, I thought you were talking about a Desert Strike remake or something. Never even realised it had a subtitle. I always remember the guys from it shouting at you. "Over here"

There was a sequel in the form of Jungle Strike. Never played it or any of the other sequels wiki says exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

Dessert Strike was one of my first Amiga games (if not the first). It was either that or Cannon Fodder. Loved both of those games on Amiga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Since didn't see the video because I'm at work, I thought you were talking about a Desert Strike remake or something. Never even realised it had a subtitle. I always remember the guys from it shouting at you. "Over here"

There was a sequel in the form of Jungle Strike. Never played it or any of the other sequels wiki says exists.
    There was Urban Strike as well. I had it on the GameBoy but it had extra colour if you used it with a Super GameBoy on the SNES. It even had some crappy on-foot levels as well. You could also fly an F117 stealth fighter in Jungle Strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

First game I remember playing for hours on end on dos

GODS, classic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

First game I remember playing for hours on end on dos

GODS, classic

I think I used to play that too. Although I'm not sure if I played it on a PC or the Mega Drive. Funny how you forget things like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Desert Strike
    Jungle Strike
    Urban Strike
    Nuclear Strike

If I remember correctly. You missed out with Jungle Strike, that game was amazing. First thing you do is blow up the white house!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

Citadel on the BBC Micro.

ElectronCitadel.png

Advertisement