Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unreasonable boss

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

smcgiff wrote: »
    Can you not see where it has been pointed out that this is inconsistent with the rest of your story?

No, there's a massive difference between being stuck in an office with someone who refuses to allow you to leave the room to get your phone and having a phone conversation with someone 2 floors down which has to end abruptly because I was in a hurry to make my plans at 5:30.

"Story" seems to imply that you believe that this is fiction. If you have any doubt about the facts I have presented, feel free not to comment any further as it would surely be a waste of your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Sounds to me that the OP is not the kind of employee this type of boss loves, the kind that take credit for others work, does nothing all day, then sucks up to the boss for 1/2 an hour after everyone has gone home, and bad mouths their hard working colleagues. The OP sounds like she is at the end of her tether, and is so honest she won't even make a ten second phone call without her boss's permission?

What sort of boss micro manages like that anyway? No wonder she's always working late!

I think there's a fair few trolls on here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Can you not see, where I have stated numerous times now, that my boss refuses to allow me leave the room to get my phone?

Is this not false imprisonment or something. Can you not see you should report her to the guards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Ok,

"Boss: The photocopier ran out of paper while that document was going through, can you come down and sort it? (I'm sure you're all well aware how difficult it is to fill a photocopier with paper)
    Me: It's 5 o'clock, I have to go now.

You want to know how to handle this situation going forward?

Show a bit of respect for the person paying your wages!!!

The employer should show a little respect for the verbal agreement re notification of extra time. Otherwise don't make such agreements. Employers deserve no more respect than any other human being and respect is a two way street. I say that as a small business owner and employer. Nothing worse than the "I pay your wages" brigade. In my experience it's usually symptomatic of poor communication skills and an inability to effectively manage.

OP I think you were direct but not rude. In light of the fact that your boss has previously agreed to give you notice, and considering the law regarding same, I think you behaved reasonably.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Can you not see, where I have stated numerous times now, that my boss refuses to allow me leave the room to get my phone?

You were smart enough with her on the phone when you say "Cant stay, have plans, gotta go", and you want us to believe that when she refuses to let you leave the room you meekly just say "Ok" and get back to work, you contradict yourself in every single post and quite frankly I think you are trolling at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

I have discussed this with you before, I am not telepathic,
    I thought these passive-aggressive snappy responses were only in TV shows.

No, there's a massive difference between being stuck in an office with someone who refuses to allow you to leave the room to get your phone and having a phone conversation with someone 2 floors down which has to end abruptly because I was in a hurry to make my plans at 5:30.

Does she stand in front of the door?

Because if she does, then it really does sound like this:
    amdublin wrote: »
    Is this not false imprisonment or something. Can you not see you should report her to the guards?

Seriously.
    Can you seriously not just say, "Mary I'll be back in a sec, just want to make a quick call to let John know I'm working late"

amdublin wrote: »

Seriously?
    You were smart enough with her on the phone when you say "Cant stay, have plans, gotta go", and you want us to believe that when she refuses to let you leave the room you meekly just say "Ok" and get back to work, you contradict yourself in every single post and quite frankly I think you are trolling at this stage.

Yeah, that's exactly what I said. Where did I suggest that I meekly say "ok" and get back to work?

I wish I was trolling Wanderer, I wish employers like her didn't exist in anyone's life, believe me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

"Story" seems to imply that you believe that this is fiction. If you have any doubt about the facts I have presented, feel free not to comment any further as it would surely be a waste of your time.

Are there no offices/phones closer by that you could use. I believe phones are quite mobile these days and you may want to keep yours with you especially if you are called to your boss's office. I always carry mine with me.

Are there no offices/phones closer by that you could use. I believe phones are quite mobile these days and you may want to keep yours with you especially if you are called to your boss's office. I always carry mine with me.

We are not allowed carry our phones around the office with us.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 357 ✭✭ballygowan1

Sounds like someone should be working in the civil service.

Fair enough.

Try this sentence:
    "Mary I'll be back in a sec, I just want to send John a text/give John a call to let him know I'll be late"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I'm unsubscribing from this as it gets silly.
    Maybe 'Personal Issues' would be more suitable to this kind of question as it would prevent people from starting a debate accusing you of all kinds of things.

You're not going to get actual advice from this thread as it stands. It will only ruin your Sunday and leave you agitated.

The employer should show a little respect for the verbal agreement re notification of extra time. Otherwise don't make such agreements. Employers deserve no more respect than any other human being and respect is a two way street. I say that as a small business owner and employer. Nothing worse than the "I pay your wages" brigade. In my experience it's usually symptomatic of poor communication skills and an inability to effectively manage.

OP I think you were direct but not rude. In light of the fact that your boss has previously agreed to give you notice, and considering the law regarding same, I think you behaved reasonably.

As we have gone into generalities and away from the op's post it can be pointed out that it's possible that extra work may be necessary (even at short notice) because the subordinates work was not of sufficient quality.

The fact 18 staff have left says it all. As an employer I wouldn't let one missing reference put me off hiring someone, in fact if they were all immaculate eyebrows would be raised.

Convenient ... Sorry, meant to say unfortunate. Yip, that's the word.

As we have gone into generalities and away from the op's post it can be pointed out that it's possible that extra work may be necessary (even at short notice) because the subordinates work was not of sufficient quality.

As I have already pointed out, the work she wanted done at 5p.m. was additional new work that she decided she wanted done at the last minute. The quality of my work is not in issue, thanks.

Are you for real?

professore wrote: »
    The fact 18 staff have left says it all. As an employer I wouldn't let one missing reference put me off hiring someone, in fact if they were all immaculate eyebrows would be raised.

It's a solicitors office, their work has dried up - that's the more likely scenario that there are 18 less employees.

As I have already pointed out, the work she wanted done at 5p.m. was additional new work that she decided she wanted done at the last minute. The quality of my work is not in issue, thanks.

Re read my post.

• Advertisement

It's a solicitors office, their work has dried up - that's the more likely scenario that there are 18 less employees.

No, the work has not dried up. It's a litigation office, unfortunately due to the standard of driving on our roads and the standard of care in our hospitals there is always litigation work. It's a sad fact.

The second last person who left told my boss that she found her "intimidating and threatening".

You're a moderator? Wow.

Re read my post.

For what? You are implying that the quality of work was poor. The work was new work, i.e. it had not previously been done, new work that she decided she wanted to do at the last minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Is that what the OP has said or is that your own personal twist to suit your own agenda?

It seems to me that if the "subordinate's" (what a pointlessly unnecessary term typical of a poor authoritarian management style) work was of insufficient quality then the employer would have had disciplinary meetings with employee and put a plan in place to address and monitor this and would have outlined this as the reason for requiring overtime of said employee.

No, the work has not dried up. It's a litigation office, unfortunately due to the standard of driving on our roads and the standard of care in our hospitals there is always litigation work. It's a sad fact.

The second last person who left told my boss that she found her "intimidating and threatening".

Ambulance chasers, that explains a lot.

professore wrote: »
    You're a moderator? Wow.

How is that relevant? This is not the accountancy forum?

Is that what the OP has said or is that your own personal twist to suit your own agenda?

It seems to me that if the "subordinate's" (what a pointlessly unnecessary term typical of a poor authoritarian management style) work was of insufficient quality then the employer would have had disciplinary meetings with employee and put a plan in place to address and monitor this and would have outlined this as the reason for requiring overtime of said employee.

I have not said that, it is smcgiff's imagination running wild. As I have pointed out numerous times, the work was new work that she decided she wanted done at the last minute, not work that she decided wasn't up to scratch.

For what? You are implying that the quality of work was poor. The work was new work, i.e. it had not previously been done, new work that she decided she wanted to do at the last minute.

It's ironic in a post where you reference the quality of your work that you fail to understand that I went out of my way to say that the comment didn't apply to you - it was a reply to another poster's generalities.

So what are you going to do tomorrow op?

Be vague, obtuse, passive-agressive, withholding?
    Or be open and try sort this out?

• Advertisement

It's ironic in a post where you reference the quality of your work that you fail to understand that I went out of my way to say that the comment didn't apply to you - it was a reply to another poster's generalities.

Yes, a generality which some may interpret as applying to this situation, which I believe was your intention anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement