Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unreasonable boss

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

OP, give it up, you have filled 9 pages looking for advice and your only replies by far are you are inflexible and have a bad attitude. Instead of insisting on replying to each and every slight here, why not head out for a drink or read the Sunday papers and try to take your mind off it because by my count you have wasted 4 hours of your Sunday arguing with strangers over your boss, is that the best way to solve the issue? You are obviously not getting the advice you want or are happy with so take it up with someone else, unless you actually enjoy the trolling and attention seeking you are engaging in. Otherwise, pipe down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

OP, give it up, you have filled 9 pages looking for advice and your only replies by far are you are inflexible and have a bad attitude. Instead of insisting on replying to each and every slight here, why not head out for a drink or read the Sunday papers and try to take your mind off it because by my count you have wasted 4 hours of your Sunday arguing with strangers over your boss, is that the best way to solve the issue? You are obviously not getting the advice you want or are happy with so take it up with someone else, unless you actually enjoy the trolling and attention seeking you are engaging in. Otherwise, pipe down.

Why should it be up to you how I spend my Sunday? It seems that as this thread does not relate to you in any way, you are the one wasting your time replying. As you said yourself, pipe down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Some of you guys really are knobs, boring weekend i'm guessing, oh lets attack the OP.

I'd love to work for some of you guys on here.

Stroll in on a Monday, "Hey Boss" and i'd smash your face into your desk.

Problem Solved.

If you look at the OP's sig you'll realise she dislikes you very much. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

^ You are not happy with the advice and you have filled 9 pages arguing your point this way and that, it must be the attention you crave at this point. You clearly have little else to fill your Sunday with after page 4 because at that point everyone could see you have a bad attitude and werent listening to another point of view, now you are just trolling. Simple as. Im quite sure your boss isnt even thinking of you for one second today and here you are letting her dominate your day off. Sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I partially agree with wanderer - is all the antagonism not stressing you? Because I find I'm annoyed for you reading this thread. Does this not wind you up more about the work situation?

• Advertisement

I partially agree with wanderer - is all the antagonism not stressing you? Because I find I'm annoyed for you reading this thread. Does this not wind you up more about the work situation?

Well it has taken up to page 9 or 10 to reach a point beyond "you're making this up" and get some actual advice about how to handle the situation which is what I asked for in my first post. I also think that a lot of people have taken the time to reply, whether the replies are helpful or not is besides the point, and I have then replied to them.

No, this doesn't wind me up. This is the internet. Tbh I find Wanderer getting so wound up about it strange, considering it doesn't affect him and he seems to be only contributing to further his own opinion that I'm "trolling".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, I would like to offer you a very sincere apology: the overall treatment and quality of advice that you have been given is absolutely appaling, and I'm embarrassed that it happened on a forum which I mod.

Thanks to those of you who have been reporting posts: I've never before seen so many reports about one thread before. Unfortunately I was busy sleeping overnight and only saw them now.

If anyone would like to post some constructive advice that will help the OP approach the discussion(s) next week - or his/her future discussions with bully-boss, then feel free.

But any further posts that are are off-topic or abusive to the OP in any way WILL recieve a red-card.

Mrs OBumble if you would prefer to just close the thread, I don't mind. I think at this point it's gone beyond the stage of usefulness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Personally I would find defending myself to internet strangers who were deliberately being ignorant and obtuse a massive PITA. Having to do it about dealing with a boss who is a pain to would make it worse again. Mainly because while it is good to rant and seek advice, ranting about the same incident more than three times makes it worse not better. (Can't rem where I heard that)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

OP the only advice I can give you is to stay calm if you have a meeting tomorrow with the boss. Just clearly explain why you said no to the request and why it wasn't such an unreasonable thing to do.

On a more general level I would advise putting out feelers for another job, from my reading of things it doesn't strike me as a place that is too nice to spend so much of your time.

• Advertisement

P_1 wrote: »
    OP the only advice I can give you is to stay calm if you have a meeting tomorrow with the boss. Just clearly explain why you said no to the request and why it wasn't such an unreasonable thing to do.

On a more general level I would advise putting out feelers for another job, from my reading of things it doesn't strike me as a place that is too nice to spend so much of your time.

Every solicitor's office in the south east has at least 2 copies of my cv at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Every solicitor's office in the south east has at least 2 copies of my cv at this point.

Fair enough. That's probably a discussion for another day.

Main thing for tomorrow is to avoid having a row with the boss, that won't do anybody any good. You work in litigation so I'm guessing that you know how to get your points across without causing a row.

Best of luck with it and try not to let it stress you out too much, life's too short and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,359 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Sounds like the OP has to put her foot down every now and again or her boss will have her running around in circles,jumping through hoops at all hours.
    Fair play for standing up for yourself.
    Good luck, whatever the outcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

If your boss is sometimes "two floors away" then surely it's possible to make a surreptitious call to your partner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Unless this 5.30 appointment was to take your mother to the hospital, go to a friends funeral or go to your sisters wedding it was no more important than your job, you could have put it off and helped your boss.

Luckily enough I'm not your boss as if I was I'd be giving your a warning or letting you go on Monday.

Your boss is a smart qualified person don't think for one minute they haven't been keeping a written account of everything that's happened if they ever need to produce evidence it wasn't an unfair dismissal in court. It's one of the first thing they tell you to do with employees in a start your own business course.

Sorry, but what she actually has to do at 5.30 is irrelevant, what's deemed 'important' to one person may not be to another, she doesn't have to explain herself.

OP, speaking as PA myself who has had many an unreasonable and demanding boss and been in positions just like yours my advice would be speak to her again (and again etc etc) and keep emphasising your point, you are prepared to work late but a bit of notice (I think lunchtime on the same day is perfectly reasonable, the boss has an idea of how the day is panning out by then) but putting paper in the photocopier at going home time is ridiculous, anyone can put paper in a bloody photocopier for goodness sakes, the more you do for them the more helpless they become, I once had a boss (male) who sent someone into the toilets at work for me because he needed something done and I wasn't at my desk, I couldn't even pee in peace so I feel your pain!!

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Sorry, but what she actually has to do at 5.30 is irrelevant, what's deemed 'important' to one person may not be to another, she doesn't have to explain herself.

OP, speaking as PA myself who has had many an unreasonable and demanding boss and been in positions just like yours my advice would be speak to her again (and again etc etc) and keep emphasising your point, you are prepared to work late but a bit of notice (I think lunchtime on the same day is perfectly reasonable, the boss has an idea of how the day is panning out by then) but putting paper in the photocopier at going home time is ridiculous, anyone can put paper in a bloody photocopier for goodness sakes, the more you do for them the more helpless they become, I once had a boss (male) who sent someone into the toilets at work for me because he needed something done and I wasn't at my desk, I couldn't even pee in peace so I feel your pain!!

Yeah, we have a paging system in work and if you're in the loo and she's ringing your desk phone, she pages you until you come out of the loo. It's so intrusive.

I'm going to try to get into her office as early as possible tomorrow and talk to her. It just feels like I'm wasting my time, we've had this discussion so many times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I think you probably realise at this stage she is never going to change, all you can do is keep having the same conversation again and again with her about the working late thing just to keep making your point whilst trying to find a new job! Good luck with it OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Peplum

OP, your description of what happened with your boss on Friday made the hairs on my neck stand.......the same happended to me, and more! I cannot believe the content of so many posts here. The arrogance from some posters is disturbing, as is their lack of ability to distinguish between you being "snappy" or "rude" from the fact that you must simply be at the end of your tether. So ignore all that rubbish, and do not feel the need to justify yourself anymore.
    I hope you got on ok today, please come back and let us know. It is clear that your willingness to work late and flexibility to date has resulted in your boss now expecting this as the norm from you. From my experience, anytime you can't work on late at the drop of a hat will result in your boss being disappointed. The first step would be to try to communicate this diplomatically with your boss.....which you have done several times. If she was the clever entreprenuer that has been claimed in some posts here, she would give you a couple of hours notice. And I'm sure you would accomodate her where possible, as you already work late without being asked, and equally she would understand that you may have to refuse sometimes, without her taking issue. I fully understand the 'fear' factor of using your phone.......people think its just a matter of making a sneaky call......well it's not. The atmosphere created by an unreasonable control freak of a boss can make the simplest of tasks seem impossible.
    I don't see your boss changing her ways, as this could possibly require personality transplant. You've already tried the diplomatic approach, and it has failed. You are looking for advice as to how you can continue working there and be treated fairly......there is nothing you can do, and I can only see further conflict arising. You are doing the right thing looking for a new job, as the situation will escalate and take over completely. And believe me, the stress and consequences for you and your personal life are not worth it. I stayed with my "unreasonable boss" for far too long, hoping that the situation would improve, but it ended in disaster. I really had the stuffin' knocked out of me, and I am still trying to get over it. My reasons for staying so long were financial, mortgage to pay, kid etc, but there comes a point where enough is enough, and I left. Your employer does not have the 'right' to treat staff like this, but she will nonetheless. If you stay working there, expect more of the same. Keep a record of her unreasonable requests and behaviour, but maintain your dignity at all times. So to sum up, my advice, however useless, is to leave and make sure to get a written reference from her while/if you can. She may refuse if things deteriorate. I wish you all the best

An update for anyone interested:

I met with my boss yesterday and she sacked me on the spot, told me I'm a good for nothing and should be grateful to have a job in this day and age and nevermind how she treats me, it's her company that she's worked hard to build up and sure I'm ten-a-penny because I'm just crap at my job......

Just kidding :P

Obviously, I did not receive my "marching orders" as was so ridiculously suggested earlier on in this thread. What nonsense.
    To those of you who suggest I have "communication issues" because I do not wish my employer to know every single detail about my private life - I'm delighted that you feel you can be so open with your own employer, I, however, do not feel comfortable with my employer in that way (for the very obvious reasons pointed out in this thread) and it is nothing to do with "communication issues". My private life is private, simple as that.
    Furthermore, to those of you who seemed insistent that the additional work she was asking me to undertake would only take "2 minutes", I arrived into work yesterday to carry out this work and did not finish it until 11a.m. That's 2 hours of work that she expected me to undertake at 5p.m. on a Friday evening without giving me any notice. I even asked her this morning if this was the work she wanted me to complete on Friday and she said yes and when I mentioned to her that it wasn't acceptable to expect someone to work 2 hours late on a Friday evening without even asking in advance, she seemed totally baffled and just kept saying "well, the work needed to be done".

When I spoke to my boss I told her that I was unhappy with the threat she had ended our conversation with and I was unhappy with yet again having to point out to her that my life outside work is more important to me and when I have plans that I cannot break I cannot accommodate working late. I pointed out the numerous occasions that I have worked late and done more than my fair share of work in the office (due to her issues with treating staff like dirt and them walking out, there have been loads of times when we have been short-staffed and everyone has been required to do double if not triple their normal workload) and that I feel that these occasions are now forgotten about simply because I could not accommodate her this time.

The first thing she said to me was "why did you have to leave at 5 o'clock on Friday?", I said to her "I told you, I had plans", she then said "you didn't say that to me, you just told me you were going home". This is absolute rubbish. The conversation which I relayed in my first post on this thread was word for word exactly what was said by both of us. I said to her "I think you're mistaken, I told you I had plans, we kept raking over and back and I said to you multiple times that I had to go, that I had plans", she then said "No, if you had told me you had plans I would have had no problem with you leaving at 5 o'clock but all you said to me was that you were going out the door". Again, more rubbish, the words "out the door" didn't even pass my lips. I reiterated to her that I had told her I had plans and that it was a pity there was nobody else in the room (on my side of the phone) to hear what I had said (unfortunately, I have in the past had to ask one of the women I work alongside to play "witness" to my phone calls - I know that sounds ludicrous but this woman loves to pretend she told you something when she didn't just to try to pass the blame if she forgets something).

At this point I just felt we were going back and forth and we would get nowhere so I pointed out our previous agreement in relation to working late and me being given notice. I told her that I understand perfectly well that sometimes last minute work pops up and while I do try my best to accommodate her, something she is well aware of, it is not always possible, Friday being a perfect example of such an occasion.

I did think that she would produce our employee handbook, which contains information in relation to working late, so I produced a photocopy of the page from the handbook which deals with overtime. I pointed out to her that it does indeed say "you may from time to time be required to work additional hours during busy periods" and I said that she will be aware from the many hours of overtime I have worked that I have no problem with this agreement but that there will be occasions when I am simply unable to work late and that is something she will have to allow for. I told her that everyone has a life outside of the office. She then said to me that she understands that everyone has a life but she assumed that because I knew how busy we were that I would have no problem helping out, instead she had to ask someone else to stay late. I said that it is really no business of mine if another employee works late or not, I had plans, I had to leave and in those circumstances it's entirely up to her how she deals with the situation.

She said that she could not always guarantee she would be able to give me notice and I said that in the same way, I could not always guarantee that I would be available to work late. That was that really. She kept making snide comments to me all day about working late. For example, she said to me on the phone "don't forget now I'll need you late on Wednesday and Thursday" and I said "that's no problem, I've known about these court dates for months", "well I'm just reminding you so you know I need you late", she's like a dog with a bone :rolleyes:

That is basically the script of every conversation I've had with her previously about this matter so I don't expect anything to change anytime soon. Obviously I'm on the lookout for a new job, as I have been for over a year now but I won't hold my breath as jobs are pretty scarce down here at the moment. I did, in the past, commute from Waterford to Dublin for work as it was either that or not work at all but I couldn't do that again, it was extremely tough, up at 5am, not home until 9:30pm so that will be my very final option should things get totally out of hand here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Hi Pixiebean

I just wanted to say that I do sympathise with your predicament. I had a past boss, who, although I was not in fact hired to be his PA, treated me as such. He also was so totally absorbed in his own workload and responsibilities that he had no comprehension, or indeed interest, in other people's workload or responsibilities. As in your situation, he would often ask me to start a task at 3.30pm and expect it to be finished that day. Often it would be 3-4 hours worth of work, but because he had no interest in 'how' you did things he had no understanding that what he was asking was not a 2 hour job. If you pointed out to him 'but it will take at least 4 hours to complete and it's 3.30 now so I can't finish it before end of day' he would reply and say 'well just start it and do what you can' but often these tasks would be the sort that are better tackled in one go, otherwise it actually ends up double work. Like you, despite gentle reminders he just never got it.

So I absolutely get it when you say the softly softly approach won't work.

However, I do think you are making things more difficult for your self in your choice of approach. I don't say this to be critical, just to advise. I also understand that you are understandably frustrated by your boss, and this of course affects how you respond.

Just from my point of view a few things that did help:
    I became proactive. Each Monday I would ask my boss (or email him if he was not in the office) and give him a quick summary of my tasks for the week and how they were priortised - i.e things with a deadline. I would then ask him to reply with any known issues to be factored in for the week. This did not stop him dropping things on me last minute, but it did significantly reduce it happening. Also it was a paper trail to cover my own arse should it ever be an issue. I also insisted on a reply from him with a list of things to be done - even if they were only provisional. That way I would have at least a half idea of what jobs were waiting and what length of time they took (although he would have no concept of this as he thought every admin task took 30 mins!) I know in the environment OP works in this is not always possible, but I also think that a big part of the problem are not 'last minute' tasks but are tasks that are left until the last minute, which are very different.

I insisted on a fortnightly admin meeting (I wanted weekly but he was having none of it he wanted monthly, so fortnightly was the compromise). At this meeting again we would discuss generally what projects were coming up, due for completion etc and that gave me the chance to explain to him that certain tasks would probably take X amount of time (i.e not 30 mins). I would then draft a brief email confirming everything straight afterwards.

On days when I had to leave at a certain time, I would remind him of this in the morning, and sometimes again at lunchtime. In the morning it would be in the format of 'just reminding you, I'm off at 5.30 today'. He would often mumble, 'oh yeah, sure' but it was in one ear, out the other. I would then go to him at lunch and just say 'if there is anything you need doing can you let me know now as I can't stay late tonight'.

If I knew it was a busy period coming up, I would give him a list of nights I could not work late. End of. He would be given this list in plenty of notice.

To limit the number of nights I 'could' work late I enrolled in an evening course. I also started getting the bus more often as this limited how late I could stay. I did these things as my own work ethic would be such that I hate leaving a job unfinished and in the beginning I often stayed late to finish something, but got no extra thanks or even TOIL for it. By having a firm reason and also one that was regular it meant that he finally got the message that Monday and Wednesday nights I was gone on time. Funnily enough on Monday and wednesday he always managed to get work to me earlier than the rest of the week :rolleyes: Even if you don't have an evening course or something, then why not fib? I understand you wanting to keep your personal life private, and there is legitimacy in the argument 'why should my boss deem some appointments neccessary and others not'. But regardless of right or wrong, bosses like yours will respond better if you give a reason. So if you don't want to give personal info, tell her you have enrolled in an evening course or something and are unavailable on X and Y night for the foreseeable future. Sometimes you just have to play along, even if it means telling fibs.

I know all this managing up is in itself is time consuming, and I would say that 30% of my time was spent managing my manager, but it was better than spending 100% of my time playing catch up and working extra hours.

As a PA, a big part of your job is not just assisting your boss, but it is actually organising them and directing their time as necessary. In a way the PA is the person managing the manager and making sure they allocate enough time to the tasks at hand. The ability to basically keep your boss on track and keep their schedule balancing is a really tough skill, but it is the most vital of all skills a PA has. This is why I know I could never do the job. After 18 mths with the boss I mentioned, and having to be his PA and manage-up so much, and basically nag at him (although disguised as something else ;) ) I had enough. Some bosses need a VERY firm hand to knock them into shape and there are not many people able to deal with such people. In some cases you need to accept defeat and move on. And while you wait for your opportunity to move on, all you can do in the meantime is manage-upwards, and lead by example. At least that way, even if they don't get the hint, they won't have any opportunity to discipline you for their own shortcomings.

These are just some of my thoughts on the matter - how useful you find them I don't know. But if I were you I would be asking myself if a move out of the PA area would be a good move? Of all the PA's I know, they have all had at least one if not more boss who was not unlike yours and took a firm hand to keep in line. If the thoughts of that fills you with dread (as it does me) then a move into more general admin might be better. It might be a drop in money, but the level of stress would also be lower.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

fwiw, the way you've handled yourself in this situation is impressive, imo:)

Well done. If there was any justice, your inbox would be filling up with job offers. Hope you don't have to put up with this for too much longer.

Little Ted wrote: »
    Just from my point of view a few things that did help:
    I became proactive. Each Monday I would ask my boss (or email him if he was not in the office) and give him a quick summary of my tasks for the week and how they were priortised - i.e things with a deadline. I would then ask him to reply with any known issues to be factored in for the week. This did not stop him dropping things on me last minute, but it did significantly reduce it happening. Also it was a paper trail to cover my own arse should it ever be an issue. I also insisted on a reply from him with a list of things to be done - even if they were only provisional. That way I would have at least a half idea of what jobs were waiting and what length of time they took (although he would have no concept of this as he thought every admin task took 30 mins!) I know in the environment OP works in this is not always possible, but I also think that a big part of the problem are not 'last minute' tasks but are tasks that are left until the last minute, which are very different.

I insisted on a fortnightly admin meeting (I wanted weekly but he was having none of it he wanted monthly, so fortnightly was the compromise). At this meeting again we would discuss generally what projects were coming up, due for completion etc and that gave me the chance to explain to him that certain tasks would probably take X amount of time (i.e not 30 mins). I would then draft a brief email confirming everything straight afterwards.

On days when I had to leave at a certain time, I would remind him of this in the morning, and sometimes again at lunchtime. In the morning it would be in the format of 'just reminding you, I'm off at 5.30 today'. He would often mumble, 'oh yeah, sure' but it was in one ear, out the other. I would then go to him at lunch and just say 'if there is anything you need doing can you let me know now as I can't stay late tonight'.

If I knew it was a busy period coming up, I would give him a list of nights I could not work late. End of. He would be given this list in plenty of notice.

To limit the number of nights I 'could' work late I enrolled in an evening course. I also started getting the bus more often as this limited how late I could stay. I did these things as my own work ethic would be such that I hate leaving a job unfinished and in the beginning I often stayed late to finish something, but got no extra thanks or even TOIL for it. By having a firm reason and also one that was regular it meant that he finally got the message that Monday and Wednesday nights I was gone on time. Funnily enough on Monday and wednesday he always managed to get work to me earlier than the rest of the week :rolleyes: Even if you don't have an evening course or something, then why not fib? I understand you wanting to keep your personal life private, and there is legitimacy in the argument 'why should my boss deem some appointments neccessary and others not'. But regardless of right or wrong, bosses like yours will respond better if you give a reason. So if you don't want to give personal info, tell her you have enrolled in an evening course or something and are unavailable on X and Y night for the foreseeable future. Sometimes you just have to play along, even if it means telling fibs.

I know all this managing up is in itself is time consuming, and I would say that 30% of my time was spent managing my manager, but it was better than spending 100% of my time playing catch up and working extra hours.

As a PA, a big part of your job is not just assisting your boss, but it is actually organising them and directing their time as necessary. In a way the PA is the person managing the manager and making sure they allocate enough time to the tasks at hand. The ability to basically keep your boss on track and keep their schedule balancing is a really tough skill, but it is the most vital of all skills a PA has. This is why I know I could never do the job. After 18 mths with the boss I mentioned, and having to be his PA and manage-up so much, and basically nag at him (although disguised as something else ;) ) I had enough. Some bosses need a VERY firm hand to knock them into shape and there are not many people able to deal with such people. In some cases you need to accept defeat and move on. And while you wait for your opportunity to move on, all you can do in the meantime is manage-upwards, and lead by example. At least that way, even if they don't get the hint, they won't have any opportunity to discipline you for their own shortcomings.

These are just some of my thoughts on the matter - how useful you find them I don't know. But if I were you I would be asking myself if a move out of the PA area would be a good move? Of all the PA's I know, they have all had at least one if not more boss who was not unlike yours and took a firm hand to keep in line. If the thoughts of that fills you with dread (as it does me) then a move into more general admin might be better. It might be a drop in money, but the level of stress would also be lower.

In relation to your first paragraph, while helpful, it is something I already do. I think every P.A. undertakes these tasks, I know I have in every job I've had. Everyday I e-mail my boss with a full list of our upcoming important dates (statute dates, court dates etc.), once a week I e-mail her my "to do" list and her "to do" list I also advise her of any threatened motions etc. (i.e. work that can be done on the backburner) and I e-mail her everyone's task list so she knows exactly what is going on and what has to be done and what everybody in the office is doing. Once a week we go through all the above and add anything new and put everything in order of priority.

In relation to your second paragraph, see above, we meet once a week to discuss everything in the office.

Believe me, I am a very organised P.A. and have worked for far busier people than her very successfully.

In relation to your third paragraph, I have provided examples of situations when I have told her I have to leave by x time and she still insists on keeping me late, the evening she kept me 45 minutes late, when I had a train to catch and she knew I had a train to catch, being a perfect example.

I handle the calendar for the entire office, this means that I am aware of every court date ahead of time, those are our busy periods. I always make myself available for court, obviously, it's a huge part of my job, I am not allowed to take time off during the provincial high court sessions for example. However, I cannot preempt everything.

In 2011 I applied for and was accepted onto the legal studies course in WIT. This is an evening course, 2 nights a week. It did not run because of insufficient numbers. Unfortunately, it did run last year but I was not in a position to enrol as I was still out of work and on crutches due to my accident and taking on anything else at the time was completely out of my reach. I fully intend to apply again this year and hope that the course does run.

I've worked as a P.A. for 8 years now. Everything that you have outlined in your post are things that I already undertake to ensure that the office runs as smoothly as possible, any glitches in the matrix are certainly not down to me. Unfortunately, this woman just does not want to be organised.

Finally, as I have said numerous times now, of course a different job (in the same field, I'm very good at what I do) would be the ideal solution but unfortunately, with only one person in my house working (the other in college) leaving this job is not an option at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

well all I can say is that if you are doing all the things you say above, it might have been useful to mention that about 8 or so pages back. It is also at odds with other things you mention, in particular when your boss pointed out that you knew the office was busy your reply was 'and so did you'. If you knew and she knew and at a particular point in the day/week you became aware that the workload would not be met, then I find it hard to accept that someone who does all of the things you say above would not also be someone who would make a point of highlighting this to the boss and working out a solution with them - be it making a time table for certain people to work late, or delegating some of the work or current tasks to another to free up time or whatever.

Sorry OP, I do feel for you as I know what a demanding yet unorganised boss is like to deal with, but there are just too many things that don't add up in your posts.

Little Ted wrote: »
    well all I can say is that if you are doing all the things you say above, it might have been useful to mention that about 8 or so pages back. It is also at odds with other things you mention, in particular when your boss pointed out that you knew the office was busy your reply was 'and so did you'. If you knew and she knew and at a particular point in the day/week you became aware that the workload would not be met, then I find it hard to accept that someone who does all of the things you say above would not also be someone who would make a point of highlighting this to the boss and working out a solution with them - be it making a time table for certain people to work late, or delegating some of the work or current tasks to another to free up time or whatever.

Sorry OP, I do feel for you as I know what a demanding yet unorganised boss is like to deal with, but there are just too many things that don't add up in your posts.

Why? It is your own fault that you seem to have made these assumptions about my work abilities. You seem to believe that there is absolutely no way a person could act in this manner and that it must simply be down to me, despite the numerous examples I have provided to the contrary.

"If you knew and she knew and at a particular point in the day/week you became aware that the workload would not be met" - I did not become aware of any workload not being met until she called me at 5p.m. on Friday evening. For the final time, she rang me at 5p.m. to do new work, work that she decided at the last minute she wanted done. It was not work that I was previously aware of because it was new work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Finally, as I have said numerous times now, of course a different job (in the same field, I'm very good at what I do) would be the ideal solution but unfortunately, with only one person in my house working (the other in college) leaving this job is not an option at the moment.

Can you not line up the new job before you quit the current job, the way everyone else does?

Arciphel wrote: »
    Can you not line up the new job before you quit the current job, the way everyone else does?

Obviously that would be very simple if there were plenty of jobs out there. Do you honestly think I want to remain in this position and have not been applying for every job advertised? Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Let's leave it there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement