Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get a prototype made?

Options
  • 09-03-2013 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Well I come up with loads of ideas but always stop short when it comes to how to make them.....

Whats the best way to get a prototype made on the cheap???? Would it be going to universities, getting a development company to make one etc....?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Just for clarity, the process is Idea, Design, Prototype.
    Design means full cad/cam drawings for a product that meets all CE regs etc and has aesthetic appeal and ergonomic functionality. A model or scale model is then made from paper or resin. A full technical specification is then drawn up with all components and materials specified. Now you may be ready for a prototype.
    The source of the prototype will depend on the product itself, a simple plastic item or a complex piece of electronic controlled mechanical equipment. Most designers know where to go for their speciality areas .

Cheers

Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

But it doesn't always work that way either.
    I know a few engineering places where a new product idea is taken to the floor and prototypes made up/amended.

One company produce full drawings from the finished prototype. They take a much more hands in design process.

I'd say it depends on the product. Often in small companies the designer is the fabricator and the design/prototype stages are combined.

bbam wrote: »
    But it doesn't always work that way either.
    I know a few engineering places where a new product idea is taken to the floor and prototypes made up/amended.

One company produce full drawings from the finished prototype. They take a much more hands in design process.

I'd say it depends on the product. Often in small companies the designer is the fabricator and the design/prototype stages are combined.

I don't disagree , but you are really talking about in-house design development...very usual for processes to be parallel.
    Some guy walking in off the street with an idea and nothing else, can't see it happening.
    Some designers do make their own prototypes but they tend to be of relatively simple construction .
    The OP's question was of a general nature and I was trying to outline the typical sequential structure.

Cheers

Peter

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

bbam wrote: »
    I'd say it depends on the product.

This.

Are we talking about prototyping a new kitchen utensil, a food-stuff, a small passenger jet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Graham wrote: »
    Are we talking about prototyping a new kitchen utensil, a food-stuff, a small passenger jet?
    Indeed. The OP suggests using a development company, so I would presume we're talking software of some kind; desktop, mobile, Web, embedded. Depending on which your approach will vary.

The second factor is what do you want the prototype to achieve? Impress some potential investors? Bring in initial sales? Proof of concept?

This too will determine how your prototype will be developed, as depending upon its purpose, it could be a 'bare bones' interface that proves that whatever it's meant to do can be done, or a static 'smoke and mirrors' interface that looks almost like the finished product but does not really do anything underneath the surface, or something else again.

As such the OP will really need to say what the product is and what they hope the prototype of this product will achieve before they're likely to get any useful advice here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Right, scrap my original question! You come up with an idea for a new product, a noiseless hairdryer for instance. What do you do next to turn idea into a product/business??

see post #2!! You only have an idea for a product... many steps before it becomes an actual product or even a prototype.
    Step 1 is protect your Intellectual Property, if you have the resources to have it made commercially you would not be on boards.ie!!!

Take an existing hair dryer and make it noiseless using your unique design or just make a fan that produces the same volume/speed of noiseless air to prove your concept.

You can then sell or licence your technology.

Cheers

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Peter do you know any website that would be good to learn about patenting products? I done a search on google but you dont know for sure if what your reading is true!

I do know what is true my friend, you are the one who is at sea here!!

Try this for a start, http://www.patentsoffice.ie/en/patent_agents.aspx

Peter

Advertisement