Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Towns/ Villages with good broadband

Options
  • 09-03-2013 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi There-

We are moving to the ROI, and are in the process of trying to determine precisely where we are going to live, within ROI. We are looking at a small town or village (rather than a city).

I'm a freelance web-designer/ marketing consultant (with primarily existing USA clients)- hence the freedom on choosing where to live/work.

We have multiple criteria on choosing a location- but lack of good internet access is a deal-breaker, so thought we'd start with that in narrowing down areas.

BTW- we rely heavily on VOIP, and the most important time for quality calls will be in the evening (USA working hours)...

So, any guidance on general areas where we can feel confident that entire towns/regions have decent access? Entire regions to rule out? Or would it really be hit and miss, and we'd have to find a place, then try and figure out if we can get good internet prior to closing on lease?

We are still pretty wide open on location- but FWIW, west/south county cork seems to have a fair amount of rural lets in our price range/size.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There's really only one city in Ireland and that's Dublin. By international standards everything else is a town. Cork is the next biggest "city" (by Irish standards) with a population of half a million. Galway is next up with a population of around 75,000. "Cities" smaller than Galway are hit and miss on broadband speeds. Any town near to Dublin, Cork and Galway can have decent enough internet speeds up to 100-150gb if they have UPC like fiber optic lines but for the most part it's DSL throughout Ireland with a maximum of 7mb, if your lucky.

Although having said all that 4G will be coming on line soon enough and Ireland is so small we should have pretty decent coverage throughout the country. That has the potential to be up to 90mb I think but if we get half that it would still be pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

ScumLord wrote: »
    There's really only one city in Ireland and that's Dublin. By international standards everything else is a town. Cork is the next biggest "city" (by Irish standards) with a population of half a million. Galway is next up with a population of around 75,000. "Cities" smaller than Galway are hit and miss on broadband speeds. Any town near to Dublin, Cork and Galway can have decent enough internet speeds up to 100-150gb if they have UPC like fiber optic lines but for the most part it's DSL throughout Ireland with a maximum of 7mb, if your lucky.

Some DSL exchanges can go to 24Mb/s but I agree with what you've outlined here.
    Although having said all that 4G will be coming on line soon enough and Ireland is so small we should have pretty decent coverage throughout the country. That has the potential to be up to 90mb I think but if we get half that it would still be pretty decent.

Speeds of 30Mb/s seem utterly unlikely on 4G, this is based on engineering analysis not marketing wishful thinking...we'll see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The 4G license issued pretty much ensures this won't happen IMO.

UPC have the best broadband in the country by a long way at this stage.

Once you decide on an area, you can enter the address on page below and see if it is available:
    http://www.upc.ie/shop/basket/?addedproducts=59_default

Most places with UPC should be able to get Eircom too but you can also check a phone number in the area on their site to see if the exchange is enabled for broadband.

Usually in a town, there is a few Fixed wireless providers too but speeds are much lower.

I'd say decide what kind of area you want to live in then find the town with broadband near that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,450 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You won't get UPC anywhere remotely rural for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

We live outside a small village and 2MB is the most we will ever have. And, we are very lucky to have that. Ireland's broadband coverage is a disaster if you live outside Dublin or Cork. I'd be very carefully were decide on living.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Any reason why you left out Limerick city? This is Ireland's third biggest city not Galway.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You won't get UPC anywhere remotely rural for a start.

Eircom, will be pushing into rural areas with Fibre to the cabinet, but it will be mainly small towns by 2015.

bealtine wrote: »

Speeds of 30Mb/s seem utterly unlikely on 4G, this is based on engineering analysis not marketing wishful thinking...we'll see

One thing for sure we know though the upload speeds will beat DSL uploads by a large margin. That alone for me would be an incentive to leave Eircom.

I'm just hoping they don't start off in city areas with fibre already there. And hopefully there data limits not too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

YankIE wrote: »
    Hi There-

We are moving to the ROI, and are in the process of trying to determine precisely where we are going to live, within ROI. We are looking at a small town or village (rather than a city).

I'm a freelance web-designer/ marketing consultant (with primarily existing USA clients)- hence the freedom on choosing where to live/work.

We have multiple criteria on choosing a location- but lack of good internet access is a deal-breaker, so thought we'd start with that in narrowing down areas.

BTW- we rely heavily on VOIP, and the most important time for quality calls will be in the evening (USA working hours)...

So, any guidance on general areas where we can feel confident that entire towns/regions have decent access? Entire regions to rule out? Or would it really be hit and miss, and we'd have to find a place, then try and figure out if we can get good internet prior to closing on lease?

We are still pretty wide open on location- but FWIW, west/south county cork seems to have a fair amount of rural lets in our price range/size.

Thanks!

like the username! Rural cork would be a great place to live but broadband will be patchy. i live right beside an eircom exchange in a semi rural area close to Dublin and i get a consistent 7mb.

Upc is the best broadband in Ireland at the moment but is only available in some, not all, densely populated areas

One thing for sure we know though the upload speeds will beat DSL uploads by a large margin. That alone for me would be an incentive to leave Eircom.

I'm just hoping they don't start off in city areas with fibre already there. And hopefully there data limits not too low.

How do we know this? 4G isn't even launched yet here...and any speeds quoted to date are for one user right beside the cell site, exactly like 3G. In fact on a reasonably "loaded" cell the performance will be roughly the same as 3G (by loaded I mean a couple of users)

The only way to control contention on cellular is by keeping the caps low so you can expect low data caps, it's inevitable and probably high prices too.

A slightly over-optimistic analysis : http://www.vodafone.ie/phones-plans/smartphones/4g/

Note they say only twice as fast as 3G...now we all know 3G can go from 0Mb/s (no connection) to 3/5 Mb/s in reality so twice as much as zero is still zero.

So don't expect magic when the PR bunnies are trying to sell you something that doesn't exist yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭niallb

I live in a rural area, and the ADSL speeds available to me max out at 2Mb down.
    I had to argue with Eircom to even get it raised to that as they said the lines in the area wouldn't handle it.
    This was a line I had upgraded to ISDN several years before DSL was available, but I told them I wanted to pay
    for the faster speed even if I wasn't getting it - because it would give me an uplink speed of 256kb instead of 128kb...
    As it turns out, I usually do get the 2Mb speed - except when it's been raining for a few days straight - and it's significantly faster than what my neighbours get on their older lines. We're more than 8km as the copper lies from the exchange.

A few miles away in two directions there are local wireless providers with reasonably good connections at good prices.

You could also get satellite broadband in addition to a low bandwidth DSL line, and use the satellite for the heavy lifting,
    so that you can keep the low latency DSL dedicated for voip/skype/video chat/remote desktops.
    It depends on your budget, but look at your budget holistically.
    You'll save a bit in rent/mortgage living somewhere more remote, so putting that back into your communications budget is reasonable.
    Add back on to it the added fuel costs of transport though and things even out.

DSL is completely hit and miss, and on a per line basis - not a per village basis once you get into rural areas.
    Eircom will not guarantee you service on any particular line, and there are no other providers for DSL.
    No matter what they say, outside the cities and towns, they're just reselling what Eircom give them.
    There are very few places with no access at all, but they do still exist.
    Have you any experience using LTE for VoIP ? It'll be here at some stage soon.
    Don't rule out somewhere wonderful to live because it's got slower internet access, just if it's got none :-)

Can you set up a firewall at home to restrict your available internet speed for a week to 5Mb and then to 3Mb and 2Mb to see what you can realistically cope with? Not sure what you're used to in terms of internet speeds. There are plenty of places in the US with terrible internet access too!

A move is a big deal, and you're right to put broadband access on to the list as you work from home,
    but balance it with everything else that you're moving for. Hope it goes well for you.

How do we know this? 4G isn't even launched yet here...and any speeds quoted to date are for one user right beside the cell site, exactly like 3G. In fact on a reasonably "loaded" cell the performance will be roughly the same as 3G (by loaded I mean a couple of users)

The only way to control contention on cellular is by keeping the caps low so you can expect low data caps, it's inevitable and probably high prices too.

A slightly over-optimistic analysis : http://www.vodafone.ie/phones-plans/smartphones/4g/

Note they say only twice as fast as 3G...now we all know 3G can go from 0Mb/s (no connection) to 3/5 Mb/s in reality so twice as much as zero is still zero.

So don't expect magic when the PR bunnies are trying to sell you something that doesn't exist yet

We know this because 4G has been tried and tested by other countries already. And the common thing with 4G is uploads tend to be great. Download can though vary from operator to operator. I've Eircom and my upload is 324kb. I will bet you now 4G would best this by miles!

Ireland, population is low so there will be lot less people connecting to 4G upgraded masts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I think you need more localised knowledge OP. At least narrow yoru selection down to a county or two. The most widely available product is up to 8mbits DSL but some exchanges are hideously congested and capped at 2-3 mbits so as not to overwhelm the backhaul.

Then again there are areas with excellent rural WISPs only a few miles from Dublin and in rural fringe areas around towns Digiweb Metro often supplies a stonkingly good service. 5 miles away you might need satellite BB rubbish . :(

EG > http://www.net1.ie/ and http://www.digiweb.ie/home/broadband/metro/

So the answer is....it depends.

If you reliably need a 2 mbit+ uplink then be very VERY careful where you live.

We know this because 4G has been tried and tested by other countries already. And the common thing with 4G is uploads tend to be great. Download can though vary from operator to operator. I've Eircom and my upload is 324kb. I will bet you now 4G would best this by miles!

Ireland, population is low so there will be lot less people connecting to 4G upgraded masts.

Well that's not the general experience with the NBS (also in lightly populated areas), some people have good service some have crap service. This is the essential problem with a mobile service, connections speeds can vary wildly so depending on it for a home broadband solution is not a good idea, one minute you are connected the next you have no connection, it simply can't be relied on. I'd hate to try and run a web dev business on 3G/4G.

I just ran some engineering tests on the local 3G mast (I'm less than 200 metres from it and it's rarely loaded) I got 1.5 Mb/s upload and a 200ms ping.
    10 minutes later I did the same test and got 300kb/s. I guess some users connected...

Anyway to date most speeds "measurements" for 4G are marketing snake-oil and are carefully manipulated and stage managed to give the best possible results, we'll see what it's really like soon enough:)

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

As you mention South/West Cork as a possible location, the best advice I can give you is to stick to somewhere close to a town. Stay away from small villages for the most part.

If you're looking at towns Bandon/Clonakilty/Bantry/Skibbereen/Kinsale you should expect a reliable broadband connection. Unfortunately, it will be far from what you're used to in the states, probably about 8mb.

If you're talking about villages in West Cork there is a high chance that the internet service will be much less reliable or even available.
    By village I mean Lisavaird/Glandore/Timoleague/courtmacsherry etc. You might have more difficulty finding a decend connection in these areas.

Despite some duff information above, we actually have more than one city in Ireland (:rolleyes:) and most towns will have reliable broadband. More rural vilages might not.

What is true though is that outside of the cities you cannot expect 100mb-plus broadband, unfortunately.

Eircom, will be pushing into rural areas with Fibre to the cabinet, but it will be mainly small towns by 2015.

I doubt it. Small towns are low on Eircoms list.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

It'a more like 2-8mb

Yup. Disgraceful, really, but that's for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mark in Lucan

West Cork, excellent choice.

Whats internet speeds are you getting where you are now?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mark in Lucan

We live outside a small village and 2MB is the most we will ever have. And, we are very lucky to have that. Ireland's broadband coverage is a disaster if you live outside Dublin or Cork. I'd be very carefully were decide on living.
    You should be able to get better than 2Mbps.
    Where in the sticks do you live?

You should be able to get better than 2Mbps.
    Where in the sticks do you live?

North Cork. I'm three miles from the exchange so, it's the best I can get. There are two wireless companies here that will do 6Mb but, I don't have line of site to one of them. The other is Ripple but, they charge if you go over your limit. And, from what I'm hearing the service is patchy and they're not a good company to deal with. So, I'm stuck on a 2mb line. I guess I'm lucky though some people around were I live can't even get on DSL.

• Advertisement

Rural SW Cork has excellent WISPs like Digitalforge and Nova Networks but one should try getting in contact to confirm where they can supply broadband ( I mean as in precisely where X marks the house on Bing maps) seeing as a single tree could leave you in Satellite broadband territory.

Don't move to a house unless you can get a wireless or DSL service.

This map shows DSL enabled exchanges and they are not enabling any more.

http://irelandoffline.org/map/

DSL is highly variable and some of the exchanges in that map are maxed at 3mbits even if the gear could do 8mbits ....no backhaul.

Only these Cork exchanges below have modern backhaul and MOST offer up to 24mbit DSL services in some cases too. But the one below will all give you a full 8mbits if you live close by.

Some of these exchanges below will also offer VDSL late this year ( I bolded them) and only the bolded ones will offer a decent upload speed over 2mbits (5-10mbit range)

BALLINCOLLIG BNC
    BANDON BND
    BANTRY BAY
    CARRIGALINE CGI
    CARRIGTWOHILL CHT
    CHURCHFIELD CHF
    CLONAKILTY CKY
    COBH COV
    CORK AIRPORT CKA
    CORK CENTRAL CKC
    DENNEHYS CROSS DYX
    DOUGLAS DGS
    FERMOY FMY
    FOXHOLE FXH
    GLANMIRE GMR
    GLENBROOK(Passage West) GNK
    HETTYFIELD HYD
    KANTURK KTK
    KINSALE KSL
    LITTLE ISLAND LED
    MACROOM MRM
    MAHON MAH
    MALLOW MLW
    MIDLETON MDN
    MITCHELSTOWN MSN
    QUAKER ROAD QKR
    RATHLUIRC (Charleville) RLC
    RINGASKIDDY RIS
    WELLINGTON ROAD WRD
    YOUGHAL YHL

HTH

I doubt it. Small towns are low on Eircoms list.

Trust me its happening. I live close about six miles away from one such town that is listed in phase 5 of Eircoms NGA fibre rollout.

It literally is a town in a rural location in the middle of nowhere and is about 15 miles away from Limerick city. Population is less than 2,000.

Trust me its happening. I live close about six miles away from one such town that listed in phase 5

It literally is a town in a rural location in the middle of nowhere and is about 15 miles away from Limerick city. Population is less than 2,000.

no rural towns were announced or scheduled by eircom...so it's unlikely

Trust me its happening. I live close about six miles away from one such town that listed in phase 5

eircom announced 300 exchanges 6 years ago for BASIC ADSL upgrades and 15 of them are incomplete today while eircom won't even say how long more they must wait!

Phase 5 will probably never happen bar a few here and there and eircom will blame anybody but themselves as usual. :(

no rural towns were announced or scheduled by eircom...so it's unlikely

This the link And Askeaton is the town i live only six miles from it. Its only a small town in co limerick in the middle of nowhere.

http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/ngn-access

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    eircom announced 300 exchanges 6 years ago for BASIC ADSL upgrades and 15 of them are incomplete today while eircom won't even say how long more they must wait!

Phase 5 will probably never happen bar a few here and there and eircom will blame anybody but themselves as usual. :(

Are they not on phase 2 or 3 now?

Why are there no dates for most of the phase 5 exchanges then, eg the "To be advised." ones ???

Is there any hope for us in rural Ireland Sponge Bob? Throw me a bone:(

Why are there no dates for most of the phase 5 exchanges then, eg the "To be advised." ones ???

I think Eircom are more focused on getting 1 and 2 and 3 of the phases completed.

I'm no supporter of Eircom, but they've least listed a small town * a rural town. It might take three years to get it done. But least its a small sign Eircom is willing to branch out beyond large city areas.

• Advertisement

But least its a small sign Eircom is willing to branch out beyond large city areas.

Well a fig leaf held over my unmentionables would be a small sign that I cared I suppose. OK it is a small sign but is it any use. ?? :D

Advertisement