Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would you have done?

• 09-03-2013 2:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭

Ok, just a quick forward; I'm still not sure if I should feel guilty or did the right thing here, so open to constructive suggestions.

I met up with a friend earlier tonight and was told, out of the blue, that two women were coming along, and if I'd be ok with a double-date.

So, single and with nothing else planned, I went along, to be social if nothing else.

The two showed up after a few minutes and we proceeded to walk to a local bar. There was no 'agreement' on who was to choose who, I'd never met either one of them, so I just automatically went with the first one I said hi to.

Talk about horrible first impressions. A frown on here face from the second she arrived, and kept the headphones in on the way to the bar. Should have left it there and then, and I'm now thinking her friend had dragged her along.

Got to the bar (her headphones are still in) and I try to get a few words out of her, with just a nod and short yes's or no's - but I decide to stay as my friends chatting away happily with the other one and I have a drink in front of me.

At this stage the other one I'm stuck with is just sitting there and scowling at everyone in the bar, but at least she turns off the music. Again I try to lighten the mood, and the only full comment I get out of her is about hating the music and another woman's (outside of our group) 'ugly dress'. The other two are still chatting and enjoying the night.

This goes on for about 20 mins. Fielding some basic questions and getting defensive retorts, "why are you asking me that?", "why do you want to know?", until I just silently stand up and walk out of the bar.

Now I'm getting a steady stream texts asking what the hell I was thinking and the girl's very upset, and was interested etc (?)

Anyway - probably a bad move on my part, but I need some opinions. I've been out of the whole dating scene for a while.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

From what you've posted above, sounds to me like you did the right thing!

Don't bother replying to texts.

:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

You did nothing wrong, fcuk her; she behaved like an idiot and is obviously unstable. You had a lucky escape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Should have yanked out her headphones and asked was she ok...

Seriously though, you did the right thing. She was rude.
    Forget about her, hopefully she won't be a c*nt to the next guy she meets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I probably would have said something before walking out, but don't think you did anything really wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

No way was that a bad move on your part. I think you handled it very well, what kind of freak has earphones in when at a bar and someone is trying to talk to them. Next time if ever she talks to you just put your hands over your ears and keep staring at her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭ashers222

I would have distracted myself by looking at other women, it was a bar after all and I have a very short attention span.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

She sounds like a primadonna drama queen. What did you ask her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Just tell your friend you shat yourself.

Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 xL

Blast her with piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Derinda

You did the right thing, why would you bother trying to be polite and have a conversation with her when she obviously didn't want to be there. Text your mate and tell him the next time he wants to double date that EVERYBODY is aware of it beforehand! How rude!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

juice1304 wrote: »
    She sounds like a primadonna drama queen. What did you ask her?

Nothing untoward, the basics - work, study, weekend ahead ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Sunny.Days

Sounds like you gave her the reality check she needed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

You did the right thing.If she was that upset then she wouldn't have acted like an complete bitch.Who knows she might dig you know for having the balls to gtfo of there.

Derinda wrote: »
    You did the right thing, why would you bother trying to be polite and have a conversation with her when she obviously didn't want to be there. Text your mate and tell him the next time he wants to double date that EVERYBODY is aware of it beforehand! How rude!

To be fair, I'd sprung a double-date on him before, so I can't complain. Though I did give him a good few hours notice, in comparison to his 20 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

IrishExpat wrote: »
    The two showed up after a few minutes and we proceeded to walk to a local bar. There was no 'agreement' on who was to choose who, I'd never met either one of them, so I just automatically went with the first one I said hi to.

International womens day seems to have been a success.

orestes wrote: »
    International womens day seems to have been a success.

I may have phrased that horribly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Sounds like she's been longer out of the dating game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Perfectly reasonable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Sounds like one of "those" types. Unable to be friendly or hold a conversation, then wonder why they cant find a 'good' man, thus think all men are assholes.
    Sorry luv, your the asshole, you just don't know it yet.

Anyway, I cant believe no one has asked this but.... was she hot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

IrishExpat wrote: »
    I may have phrased that horribly.

Half bad phrasing, half bad timing :pac:

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    Sounds like one of "those" types. Unable to be friendly or hold a conversation, then wonder why they cant find a 'good' man, thus think all men are assholes.
    Sorry luv, your the asshole, you just don't know it yet.

Anyway, I cant believe no one has asked this but.... was she hot?

That's the worst part, she was quite attractive. The type that would catch a second look if I were to pass her by (before this). But it doesn't outweigh personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Sounds to me like your friend is pissed off because hypercow is getting in the way of his good time with the woman he actually likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

kowloon wrote: »
    Sounds to me like your friend is pissed off because hypercow is getting in the way of his good time with the woman he actually likes.
    I thought that initially, but then thought, well there's already 3 there, the couple and an extra girl. But thinking again, yeah, that's probably true. The 3 probably aren't having a good convo now. Though, that can't be helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

I would have politely excused myself saying that I didnt want to continue annoying her as she was obviously uninterested in me. Id apologise to her and leave. Hopefully that would make her realise what a **** she was and stop her being a bitch in future. But I doubt it.

kowloon wrote: »

Update on the messages. There was a bit of a break in texts, last one just now: 'we sorted her a taxi home, sorry about that'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Sounds like you're in the clear on this. All's well that ends well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Just a thought OP but maybe this girl didn't know that it was going to be a blind date and was just as set up as you were.

It's possible that she may not have been annoyed at you(even though she acted terribly)but annoyed at the situation and at her mate for springing it on her!

Maybe her mate sprung it on her at the last minute and she was annoyed that she hadn't had a chance to "prepare" properly for a date(hair, dress etc)?

Just my two cents but worth a thought OP:)

Smidge wrote: »
    Just a thought OP but maybe this girl didn't know that it was going to be a blind date and was just as set up as you were.

It's possible that she may not have been annoyed at you(even though she acted terribly)but annoyed at the situation and at her mate for springing it on her!

Maybe her mate sprung it on her at the last minute and she was annoyed that she hadn't had a chance to "prepare" properly for a date(hair, dress etc)?

Just my two cents but worth a thought OP:)

You're the girl aren't you! Too late now. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

What I don't understand is, if there was no decision on who was to choose which girl, how had the date been arranged in the first place?
    The OP didn't organise it, so his friend obviously did, but which of the two girls did he organise the date with?

• Advertisement

You're the girl aren't you! Too late now. :D

*makes sobbing sounds*
    "And he was hunky too, why didn't he like me "sans maquillage":(

:pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I'd have said:"Your not interested in me are you?" and she probably would have said "no", so I would have said "Good, Im not interested in you either. Lets get drunk and embarass our friends over there"

She would either say "Yeah ok!" ergo happy times, or she would say "Err, no thanks!". To which you say, "Fine with me. Good night! " and then say bye to your friend and leave.

Added points if you throw your flight jacket over your shoulder as you leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Should of got on to Teddy, he knows exactly what to do with a women and headphones!!

syklops wrote: »
    I'd have said:"Your not interested in me are you?" and she probably would have said "no", so I would have said "Good, Im not interested in you either. Lets get drunk and embarass our friends over there"

She would either say "Yeah ok!" ergo happy times, or she would say "Err, no thanks!". To which you say, "Fine with me. Good night! " and then say bye to your friend and leave.

In fairness the OP's wingman wasn't much cop!

osarusan wrote: »
    What I don't understand is, if there was no decision on who was to choose which girl, how had the date been arranged in the first place?
    The OP didn't organise it, so his friend obviously did, but which of the two girls did he organise the date with?

You're new to this aren't you?

In fairness the OP's wingman wasn't much cop!

The OP was the wingman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

I should ask "what sound, makes you frown so"

I would whisper sweet nothings into her earplug. For that is all they would amount to

The OP was the wingman.

Only because it went t1ts up.
    Both parties imh should be wingmen and offer moral support in trying times like these..

And a cuddle to his fallen comrade if needed:P

Cue the bar exploding as he walks away, everybody inside are okay though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Should have shown her your pet elephant.

Only because it went t1ts up.
    Both parties imh should be wingmen and offer moral support in trying times like these..

And a cuddle to his fallen comrade if needed:P

Either you're trolling or you don't understand how this stuff works.

Guy1 -> Guy2 "I met a girl and she wants to meet but she asked can I bring someone for her friend"

This translates to: "Dude, Im getting lucky tonight unless I get shot down. To prevent this, please be my wingman and take fire if sh!t happens. I'll return the favour in the future.

Are you new to this as well?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Op you did the right thing. The girl was being so ignorant. So what if she is upset fcuk that se brought it on herself. If she was interested as claimed then she wouldn't have acted the way she did. Your friend is just texting us because he isn't getting hos hole tonight simple as. If you weren't havinga good time then why put up with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

For me, earplugs are a sign of ignorance the moment you step out the door with em so it would not end well

they really reduce awareness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

but you were in a pub/bar weren't you? Just go wandering and get a few drinks at the bar. Your friend comes looking and you would have been lubricated enough to ask why the frig did you pair me up with this female scrotal sack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

We all know the type like that, just horrible to be around. I would have stuck it out just to be a good wingman but it seems he got on all right after so no worries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Before leaving, I would have kicked her in the gee and said happy international women's day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Bullet dodged. Actually more like howitzer shell dodged. Faceaches like that no one needs. But, but, maybe she was in a bad mood??? In which case her thinking of others circuit is on the blink. If you're in a fouler and unless your name is Mr Buddha it happens to us all, then a) don't go out, or b) fake it. Its good manners for a start. if there was any truth to the "she liked you" bit, thats even dafter. Imagine a relationship with that kinda stuff. Jeeeebus.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Should've waggled your penis at her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Before leaving, I would have kicked her in the gee and said happy international women's day.

That's not very nice, does your Mammy know that you're on the Internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

calanus wrote: »
    you would have been lubricated enough to ask why the frig did you pair me up with this female scrotal sack.
    So thats what a geebag is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Course you did the right thing! In your shoes I would've probably insulted her tbh. I wouldn't have ruined your own night though- would've got up and tried to get talking to someone else. The height of rudeness!

• Advertisement
Advertisement