Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glut of repossessed houses could depress prices ‘by up to 25%’

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Villa05

Under part 4 is selling a valid reason to give notice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Villa05 wrote: »

Quite, and is the reason for the assertion that tenants have very little to no rights in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Once they give correct notice and reasons (such as selling) they can evict but simply taking over a property and evicting without reasons or notice is utterly ridiculous and illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Quite, and is the reason for the assertion that tenants have very little to no rights in this situation.

They still have to give you notice which is a right. Yes they can ask you to leave but they must give correct notice and honour any lease you have in place already even if signed by the original owner. That is a lot of rights.

I disagree with you about tenants and rights and responsibilities. They have plenty which unfortunately (like landlords) they don't know about nor do they utilise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

This termination of contract on selling is something which is radically different from other countries, if that's true. I know in Germany that property has to be sold with tenants in place. They may have long term tenants with 1+ years notice ( countries with large rental populations including middle class renters have such laws).

I wonder though as in all these cases whether people are talking about implicit tenancys. As I've said on similar threads contract law should supercede normal tenacy laws. With most business purchases you inherit the contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I don't buy that. Your contract is with the old owner, not the new one. They are not a landlord, they signed nothing to that effect.

Businesses inherit contracts.

Hence why we see on ads "tenant in situ".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

But the bank isn't inheriting the business, they're taking over the assets.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    They still have to give you notice which is a right. Yes they can ask you to leave but they must give correct notice and honour any lease you have in place already even if signed by the original owner. That is a lot of rights.

The fact they will tell you they are terminating the lease early when the tenant has done nothing wrong, doesn't seem like a strong right to me personally.

Yes it is a "right", just not a particularly fair one. Tenant would have no hope of doing the same thing in the opposite direction.

"Hey landlord, I've decided I don't want to live here anymore, I know I'm only three months into the lease but you know whatevs"

• Advertisement

The fact they will tell you they are terminating the lease early when the tenant has done nothing wrong, doesn't seem like a strong right to me personally.

Yes it is a "right", just not a particularly fair one. Tenant would have no hope of doing the same thing in the opposite direction.

"Hey landlord, I've decided I don't want to live here anymore, I know I'm only three months into the lease but you know whatevs"

The tenant must receive up to 16 weeks (depending on how long the've been there) notice with a valid reason for termination. If the tenant wanted to leave they only have to give between 4 weeks and 8 weeks notice depending on how long the've been there. That's not a bad deal in my mind.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    The tenant must receive up to 16 weeks (depending on how long the've been there) notice with a valid reason for termination. If the tenant wanted to leave they only have to give between 4 weeks and 8 weeks notice depending on how long the've been there. That's not a bad deal in my mind.

So I can terminate any lease no matter what stage I'm at once I give a max of 2 months notice? That doesn't sound right, however happy if it is the case.

Ah but you still lose the deposit which is a bit of a $hit deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

They can't terminate a lease early is the point. They can end a part 4 tenancy but that is not a lease. You are mixing the two up. Tenants routinely end leases with little or no recourse for the LL. Tenants simply don't pay the last months rent then leave. Happens all the time and often posted here.

Ah but you still lose the deposit which is a bit of a $hit deal.

It's a crap deal? What are you on about. How long would you plan on staying in a rented property for and if you were only staying a while would you not look for short term leases?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

My understanding of a repossession is, there are two distinct situations.

There are your rights as a tenant in which your landlord must uphold.

Then there is the fact that the landlord no longer owns the property.

So the bank has no obligation to your rights as a tenant, because they are not your landlord. And you can try recover the costs and damages of immediate eviction from your actual landlord but I think at that point you are on a long list of people looking for money.

Unfortunately for us, according to Threshold and our local Citizens Information we discovered you are right
    You now have a new landlord and that does not superced your rights as a tenant. The tenancy was in place prior to repossion so it still stands. Rights and laws must still be upheld and any evictions must fall under the proper procedures.
    We were told by Threshold and our local Citizens Information that as the landlord had not obtained agreement from the bank, he had effectively entered into an illegal agreement with us, and so we had no rights.
    @on my oe
    Will up please write a letter to your fg, lab td asking them why you are paying rent to a ll and at the same time paying taxes to bail out banks and your reward is evivtion. While the landlord escapes with theft aided by the banks bailout

Include the proof if possible
    Thats a great idea, but I suspect the local TDs wouldn't care.. and as we are not Irish they'll even less.

Instead I will simply sit here and fume whenever I see anyone claim there are no strategic defaulters, and say a little prayer that the right property will come on the market for us to buy. I'm really hoping karma is on our side! :rolleyes:

Threshold really told you that? So how many tenants in this country have zero rights because their landlord hasn't told the bank they're renting out the property. That sounds completely insane and wrong. Are you sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Yes... It seemed so wrong that I phoned another branch to cross check the information and got the same story. The only thing the second branch could add was to suggest that we attended the court hearing to have our say. They didn't seem very confident that it would have any positive influence.

We conceded defeat and moved.

on_my_oe wrote: »
    Yes... It seemed so wrong that I phoned another branch to cross check the information and got the same story. The only thing the second branch could add was to suggest that we attended the court hearing to have our say. They didn't seem very confident that it would have any positive influence.

We conceded defeat and moved.

I must say I would have understood that the law would supercede any contract.

• Advertisement

Threshold really told you that? So how many tenants in this country have zero rights because their landlord hasn't told the bank they're renting out the property. That sounds completely insane and wrong. Are you sure?

What was that about tenant rights you were saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

if a property is listed on the prtb.ie website, is it fair to deduce that the landlord is paying their mortgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

if a property is listed on the prtb.ie website, is it fair to deduce that the landlord is paying their mortgage?

Nope, registration infers nothing like that.
    The landlord could well be a lot more afraid of Revenue than he/she is of the Bank

To be honest I dont believe he was advised correct. I still stand by the fact that there are plenty of rights for both tenant and landlord that if both of them knew them and their obligations it would go along way to limiting the number of complaints from both sides.

jay0109 wrote: »
    Nope, registration infers nothing like that.
    The landlord could well be a lot more afraid of Revenue than he/she is of the Bank

Registration means nothing, neither tax compliant nor mortgage payer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

All of this is so off topic, what does it have to do with repos reducing prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Villa05

The Spider wrote: »
    All of this is so off topic, what does it have to do with repos reducing prices?

The main argument against repossesions is that we cant evict people from their homes in large numbers. It happens to renters all the time, very often through circumstances outside their control. Whats good for the goose etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Well it has more to do with house prices than what the independent "newspaper", you know the one that you often quote to back up your ascertions, believe has a bearing on house prices increasing i.e. roy Keane back in the Irish fold.

Note: I put the word newspaper in quotes since not sure if it applies in this instance.

I am not allowed discuss …

You think the rental and mortgage markets are completely siloed from each other?

They both influence each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

You think the rental and mortgage markets are completely siloed from each other?

They both influence each other.

Nope I don't but that's a discussion about contracts not how rentals affect the price of property.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement