Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

StoneMad Ultra July 2013

Options
  • 09-03-2013 7:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭

Perfect opportunity for a 2-day self-sufficient experiment/challenge in Ireland, before exploring multi-stage race abroad.

Anybody considering it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

In theory I would be interested but unfortunately it clashes with another series of events I'm already signed up to.

Maybe next year. That has the added advantage that I might know what's in store after reading other people's reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

I have emailed organisers yesterday to get further details.

From their website:
    Day1: Athy-Carlow along Barrow river. But that's only 21kms...
    so, what's the route for competitors doing 42kms or 62kms?

Day2: brings competitors passing the historic 9 stones...but Carlow-Mount Leinster as crows fly is 30kms+. And on that day, the have 10km, 21km, 42km and 55km distances?

So, i am really curious as to how they will manage the offering of tailored distances over the 2 days...

This is organised by the Athy guys who have proven track record at organising events, so they must have covered all options...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

911sc wrote: »
    I have emailed organisers yesterday to get further details.

From their website:
    Day1: Athy-Carlow along Barrow river. But that's only 21kms...
    so, what's the route for competitors doing 42kms or 62kms?

Out & back for 42km? and back out most of the way again for 62km?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Day one is Athy to Graignamanagh - a quick check on google maps puts that at 60k ish?

Day one is Athy to Graignamanagh

You are spot one...
    I got a prompt reply to my email from organisers, which is always nice and a good sign.

Day1 Ultra = Athy to Graignamanagh
    Day1 Marathon = Carlow to Graignamanagh

Overnight stay in Graignamanagh (Race HQ)

I did not get confirmation of location of Day2 finish, but it could well be that Day2 is a loop/out& back with finish in Graignamanagh.

Maps should be published over the coming weeks, so that will further clarify things.

• Advertisement

Details of routes have been published on their web-site.
    I have not yet signed for it, but i am training for it anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Anybody else doing this? Thinking of doing the Ultra on day 2 up around Mt. Leinster.

I have not signed up for it yet...but i am training for it.
    I am interested in 42kms + 42kms in self-sufficient mode.

Discussed here as well
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84620518#post84620518

Signed up for the Mt Leinster Ultra on day 2. They should have called it UTML, has a nice ring to it I think:)

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Out & back for 42km? and back out most of the way again for 62km?

This is a strange one. According to the website "There is a gradual and gentle decline over the 42.2km course". It doesn't make sense then that it's out and back along the same route. The gentle decline would be a gentle incline in the second half :)

I see no mention of transport back to the starting point.

Anybody know what the story is with The Barrow marathon route on day 1?

• Advertisement

It is 42 km and does not double back. This was taken from their web site.

START: Carlow Lock, Carlow, CW
    CP3 - 12.0km: Leighlinbridge, CW
    CP4 - 18.3km: Bagnalstown, CW
    CP5 - 27.0km: Goresbridge, KK
    CP6 - 32.1km: Borris, CW

FINISH-42.2km: Graiguenamanagh, KK

I wonder how you get back to Carlow.

I sent an email to the organisers. Very prompt response :)
    We will be formally timing it, probably using a chip. We are talking to our timing company this week about it.

From Carlow to Graig, along the river bank is exactly marathon distance! Pot luck!

We are liaising with local transport providers to facilitate the drop off back to the various starts. We will announce this online. Its an important feature and one that we won't leave to chance, something will be organised and announced online.

Best wishes,

ANGELA LANG
    StoneMadUltra Team

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Runnerkilcoole

Wasn't planning on a marathon this early in the year but couldnt resist the river marathon route on day one.. not aiming for any times in particular, just to complete it!

I am looking for transport from Dublin-ish to Carlow on Friday 12th July or Sat 13th June if anybody can help.

Also, looking for a way back to Dublin-ish from Graiguenamanagh on Sunday 13th July.

I would happily share cost.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭babalobioddy

Does anyone know the closing date for entries ?

Does anyone know the closing date for entries ?

From the site-

Places are limited for this event, and will be released in batches. The first 100 are available online now. A waiting list will be introduced once these places are sold.

Entered for the ultra on day 2, looking forward to it now. I see there is a kit list on the site-
    Kit List:

Suitable Running/Walking Footwear. Day 1 is mainly gentle off-road terrain. Day 2 is mainly road, with a 6km boggy descent off the mountain. Please refer to the weather when considering underfoot conditions/running shoes.
    Hydration system (bottle or pack). Minimum 400ml & 2 energy bars or equivalent.
    Fully charged phone (water proofed, with emergency Race HQ number saved).
    Race number visible at all times (provided at registration).
    Route map with CP details and emergency details.
    Waterproof top.
    A light weight piece of warm clothing (water proofed).
    Please note, subject to local weather conditions and Met Eireann forecasts, you may be required to carry additional items of clothing including; gloves, hat and long tights (waterproofed).Please have these items ready in case.

There will be random spot checks. Participants who do not have the mandatory kit will be asked to retire.
    This applies to all distances except 10K

Anybody happen to know if the an OS map is required or will the map from the website suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 charlie933

I would go with the OS map and laminate it

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

911sc wrote: »
    I am looking for transport from Dublin-ish to Carlow on Friday 12th July or Sat 13th June if anybody can help.

Also, looking for a way back to Dublin-ish from Graiguenamanagh on Sunday 13th July.

I would happily share cost.

Thanks in advance.

I'm doing the ultra on Sunday and could give you a lift back to Dublin after if you want.

grahamor wrote: »
    I'm doing the ultra on Sunday and could give you a lift back to Dublin after if you want.

Thanks for your reply. I sent you a PM.

Really looking forward to this now. It's gonna be a hot weekend :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Me too, doing the HM on both days.

Won't be pushing at all, just doing both at my easy pace as mileage for DCM training.

Looking forward to it though, should be spectacular if a little on the warm side. The thoughts of lugging a camelbak with rain jacket and a warm top has me grimacing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

pointer28 wrote: »
    Me too, doing the HM on both days.

Won't be pushing at all, just doing both at my easy pace as mileage for DCM training.

Looking forward to it though, should be spectacular if a little on the warm side. The thoughts of lugging a camelbak with rain jacket and a warm top has me grimacing though.

They've dropped those requirements.

From their FB.

1. Suitable Footwear.
    2. Hydration system (bottle or pack). Minimum 400ml & 2 energy bars or equivalent.
    3. Fully charged phone (water proofed, with emergency Race HQ number saved).
    4. Race number visible at all times.
    5. Route map with CP details and emergency details.
    6. Lightweight top (in case of emergency).

We are in short term forecasts now, so we can confirm that there is no necessity to carry additional WARM GEAR.

We will provide you with race numbers, maps & emergency numbers when you arrive.

Cheers for that, didn't see that update.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck with this folks. Looks like you'll have a fab weekend for it/

Looking forward to the 50k on Sunday, should be great weather for it. Best of luck everyone.

sideswipe wrote: »
    Looking forward to the 50k on Sunday, should be great weather for it. Best of luck everyone.

Looks like a challenging course in a beautiful area. See you at the start line.

Almost there..... only 42k + 42k left for me before a nice cold beer on sunday evening...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Runnerkilcoole

I completed the marathon on Saturday. Full respect to everyone who took part in any of the events, particularly the ultra. The heat was severe, so much so that only a couple of people passed me as I WALKED for a fair while. I guessed that since I wasn't losing many places everyone else must have been doing the same. Also received an education on heat stroke. A frightening thing to see, and a reminder of the importance on listening to your body. We never get the chance to get acclimatised to hot weather in Ireland, unfortunatly. The course from Carlow to Graigue is beautiful, an amazing amenity for any runner lucky enough to live nearby. The course was very flat, and the trail is very well looked after. I was a bit concerned about wearing road runners, but the going is good and firm. This event was well run and registration and finish line went smoothly. The food was plentiful and good in the rowing club hall in Graigue. The dip I had in the river after finishing was the best reward for the miles ran! Took me just under five hours. My last marathon was three and a half... Met some great people along the way and heard some great yarns!! I would run this event again, hopefully in cooler conditions! Top marks to the team, this one should get big numbers next year.

Well that was interesting!!!! A very tough day out there. The heat made the climb up Mt Leinster feel like I was going backward, especially with my feet sticking to the melting tar on the road! Huge kudos to those who did the 2 days especially the back to back Ultra's. Finished in 6:30, which had me 2 hours 10 slower than my Donadea 50K time, which even with a few extra K's tells a story.
    Has all the makings of a great event. Well done and thanks to the organizers and volunteers.
    Nice to meet some fellow boardies in grahamor and 911cc.

• Advertisement

I did the half both days and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Day 1 absolutely pan flat but Day 2 quite tough with lots of climbing in the first 10k but still loved every minute of it.

Without doubt the two most beautiful HM courses I have ever run.

I really think this is the way the sport is heading and I hope this is on again next year and hopefully more along with it. Just a pity it was so badly supported.

Advertisement