Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paddy's Day gift from IFHF

• 09-03-2013 8:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Yesterday, I thought that I had been given the credits by mistake but no today's email shows "For a limited period you can avail of 100 free search page results on www.rootsireland.ie"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Do not get your hopes up!

Have you tried to use them? I was sent the same message and when I tried to 'view' a record I got You do not have sufficient credit to view any more records. Please purchase more credit. The suggestion was to buy €45 worth.

What they seem to be doing is allowing you to search births, marriages, deaths, Griffiths , Census and shipping lists and to narrow down the parameters with the 'free' units but to view a record you have to pay. All the same information* is available FREE elsewhere so it really is no improvement on the much more easily navigated familysearch , census, etc, sites. Nor is it as good, as I could not find the individual I input from GRO data.
    Do not bother with these people; you will grow so frustrated that it could/will spoil your day!

*they do provide a small number of gravestone inscriptions for a few Counties, but the chances of locating a relative there are minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They are just search credits, they've split the credit system in to search credits (which they seem to give out like smarties - I've hundreds from buying just a few records) and record credits. Different from other sites like ScotlandsPeople that use the same credits for both.

They have parish records that aren't available free online elsewhere although they are in the NLI, but my god they charge through the nose for them. Quite a lot of them are on FamilySearch but I got a decent amount of Killucan ones from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

I must admit despite the overwhelming negative comments, I have continued to use the site for B&M records before 1864 and to narrow searches by inputting known details ie mother's first name/family name. You can even input the mother's name for a particular parish and it will bring up all baptism records. Certainly helps if you have a rarer surname. If I can then find the relevant civil record, I will order the cert from GRO in preference. Obviously, if I could spend a week (or more) at the NLI in Dublin, I would be able to research most of my ancestors from circa 1810 up until 1880.

An advantage of the church record, is that dispensations are recorded. I believe that a granddaughter of my gggrandfather (b <1810) married a grandson of my gggranduncle (b<1810). The only way I can hope to prove that they were brothers is to try to view the church marriage record (1921):(.

Advertisement