Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to upgrade my graphics card

Options
  • 09-03-2013 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭

I know my machine isnt up to scratch, but I feel the graphics card is whats letting me down the most. Havent got the spare cash atm to buy a new pc, so looking to replace my card.

My system is as follows:

Nvida GeForce 9600GS
    Intel Core 2 Quad 8200@2.33ghz
    4gb Ram

I'm looking to change the card to http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/ASUS-NVIDIA-Geforce-GT-640-PCIE-Graphics-Card-2-GB/311210/146

Just wondering (1) Will I be able to just replace the old card with above and (2) Will it give me a decent upgrade graphics wise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You should still be fine with that cpu for another while. What resolution is your monitor?

I'd get this card. Has 2 free games but is 1gb.

http://www.scan.ie/products/1gb-msi-radeon-hd-7850-oc-4800mhz-gddr5-gpu-900mhz-1024-cores-dvi-hdmi-2x-mini-dp-pluscrossfire-offe

If you are gaming at 1080p I'd pay the bit extra for a 2gb card.

Something like this

Also has the 2 free games and a great cooler which would allow big overclocks on that card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

BloodBath wrote: »
    You should still be fine with that cpu for another while. What resolution is your monitor?

I'd get this card. Has 2 free games but is 1gb.

http://www.scan.ie/products/1gb-msi-radeon-hd-7850-oc-4800mhz-gddr5-gpu-900mhz-1024-cores-dvi-hdmi-2x-mini-dp-pluscrossfire-offe

If you are gaming at 1080p I'd pay the bit extra for a 2gb card.

Something like this

Also has the 2 free games and a great cooler which would allow big overclocks on that card.

Thanks Bloodbath, my monitor res is 1920x1080. I dont play the pc as much as I used to, but any new games have to be scaled down that they just look fugly. So thats why I am aiming at upgrading. I'll take a look at those other cards as well. I just want to make sure, I dont need to upgrade motherboard and cpu aswell.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Anyone wrote: »

Thanks Bloodbath, my monitor res is 1920x1080. I dont play the pc as much as I used to, but any new games have to be scaled down that they just look fugly. So thats why I am aiming at upgrading. I'll take a look at those other cards as well. I just want to make sure, I dont need to upgrade motherboard and cpu aswell.

What is your PSU like and How much were you hoping to spend? Your CPU is still reasonably decent, it may hold the HD 7850 from its full potential in certain circumstances but probably not too much and it would definately be the best card to get.

If you get a decent cooler you would benefit signifigantly from overclocking the CPU as well.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/896/13/

marco_polo wrote: »
    What is your PSU like and How much were you hoping to spend? Your CPU is still reasonably decent, it may hold the HD 7850 from its full potential in certain circumstances but probably not too much and it would definately be the best card to get.

If you get a decent cooler you would benefit signifigantly from overclocking the CPU as well.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/896/13/

I have no idea how to fins that info out. I realise that putting a high end card into the machine will mean that it wont run to its max ability, but its something I am willing to trade off. Budget wise, I dont want to go over €200.

I have no idea about overclocking either, if its bios related I dont want to go messing around there :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Firstly, that build sounds like a machine that was purchased rather than built, so the OC ability, and that of the PSU, may be limited.

If both those hold true, and you're looking for a hassle free upgrade I'd recommend a 7750, but there's not much point going any further with an old CPU at those speeds and what's probably a 250-300w basic PSU.

7750 would even be bottlenecked by a stock Q8200, but it's a good card for it's low price, requires no pci-e connector, and should see you through most modern games at settings at the very least equaling the consoles even with that CPU.

What I would recommend.....upgrade to a 7750 and also find out what the best CPU your board can take and upgrade to that.

If it's a custom build with a relatively respectable PSU - OC that sucker to within an inch of it's life and get a 7850.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Maybe consider selling all those parts and doing a bigger upgrade?

You could get a mid range amd machine that can be upgraded for years pretty cheaply.

Item|Price
    AMD FX-6300 Prozessor, Boxed, Sockel AM3+|€121.53
    ASRock 970DE3/U3S3, AM3+, ATX|€55.64
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7850, 2GB GDDR5, lite retail|€163.44
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€359.60

If not then go for a 7750 or 7770 with your current rig.

Thanks folks, I have to get more data on my sys. Yes its an off the shelf pc. In the past I have replaced ram and cards, but not sure I am comfortable rebuilding, or building a pc totally.

Going to try get all the info on my pc tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Tsar_debean

think i have a spare 6770HD knocking around the house if you're not a million miles away, was only used for about 3 months, i'll let the lads decide on whether thats an upgrade or a down grade lol :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

6770 is definitely a big upgrade from a 9600GS!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Tsar_debean

6770 is definitely a big upgrade from a 9600GS!
    I loved my 9800xt2 those mid range cards like my 6770 or my 7770 always make me feels a like I should off bought the 80 quid more expensive model budget gaming meh :p

• Advertisement

think i have a spare 6770HD knocking around the house if you're not a million miles away, was only used for about 3 months, i'll let the lads decide on whether thats an upgrade or a down grade lol :P

Haha, cheers for the offer Tsar, think I'll hold off a while and just buy a new system in a few months.

Advertisement