Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collage at 30

Options
  • 09-03-2013 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi guys and gals,

Ok here's the deal. In turning 30 in May, I've never been to Collage, and have only completed my junior cert. Ive never had a "career" as such and am currently unemployed.

I'm sick of feeling inadequate and always being judged for having no career and qualifications.

Ideally I want to go to collage to work towards building a life for myself.

My question is, do collages take on mature students with no leaving? Or would I have to sit my leaving cert.. Oh god the idea of maths again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Hi guys and gals,

Ok here's the deal. In turning 30 in May, I've never been to Collage, and have only completed my junior cert. Ive never had a "career" as such and am currently unemployed.

I'm sick of feeling inadequate and always being judged for having no career and qualifications.

Ideally I want to go to collage to work towards building a life for myself.

My question is, do collages take on mature students with no leaving? Or would I have to sit my leaving cert.. Oh god the idea of maths again.

30 is still very young for a return as a mature student. Perhaps you would be better starting off on a Fetac level 5, depending on the course you wish to pursue at college, therefore avoiding maths. A return requires a high level of commitment, so ensure you select the course you want to do, not one for the sake of it. Most colleges require a leaving cert, but a mature with fetac level five should have no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭HarrisonLennon

30 is still very young for a return as a mature student. Perhaps you would be better starting off on a Fetac level 5, depending on the course you wish to pursue at college, therefore avoiding maths. A return requires a high level of commitment, so ensure you select the course you want to do, not one for the sake of it. Most colleges require a leaving cert, but a mature with fetac level five should have no problems.

That's sound advice, thanks for taking the time. I'll look into FETAC for sure. I just want to be happy doing something I love. Now it's just a lot of soul searching to find the right option for me.

What's your experience, have you a an education that affected your career

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

That's sound advice, thanks for taking the time. I'll look into FETAC for sure. I just want to be happy doing something I love. Now it's just a lot of soul searching to find the right option for me.

What do you love? Forget cliches like soul searching.
    University may be tough if you've never really gone to school as an adult, although I never underestimate anybody.

I found that university didn't affect my career, in fact I quit half way through to take a job in my industry.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Gave up the beer five years ago,

Did a level 5 Fetac in 2009, went to college in 2010 and will hopefully gain degree this coming May. I never did a full leaving cert, and am a good bit older than you are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Yes you should, of course you will have to put in the work and effort.

People who judge you like that are clueless and not worth your time anyway, don't do it for those people at all but for yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement