Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiding Dog

• 09-03-2013 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I'm minding my brother's dog for the weekend. I was a bit trepidatious at first because my own aren't great with strange dogs, but they seem to remember that he spent an afternoon with us 5 years ago and are pretty much ignoring him. He, however, seems to remember the telling off Ra gave him last time he was here, when he landed on her, and has hidden himself in the spare room and won't come downstairs.

I know OH is worried about him and is trying to coax him out, but would we be better off just leaving him to himself for now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I would leave him for a while, dogs don't always understand what we're saying and trying to do, if he hears the OH talking nicely, and reassuringly, he may assume that he's actually being praised for being in the spare room, and staying there. Keep an eye on him, in case of toilet emergencies :) but I would suggest that you just go about your normal day.

When I saw the title of the thread, I thought you were looking on advice on how to keep a dog hidden, from a landlord maybe. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

He'll come out in his own good time. If you really want to get him out does he respond when he see's his lead? Exited? Walkies time? It was the only way to get my rescue dog out from his hiding place when he landed here 18months ago. I had to crawl in under the hedge and put it on and he walked out no problem at all. He did his best to stay under the hedge during the day for about 4 days:(, only being coaxed out for walkies and to come inside in the evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Oops, I suppose it could be taken that way. If I needed too I'd just stick them in a cupboard :D Though I could probably convince them that Ra is a draught excluder.

I've just left him upstairs for now. I hope that a good walk later will get them more comfortable with each other. It was very sweet to see T follow him round last night, but I suppose that he might have felt intimidated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

He'll come out in his own good time. If you really want to get him out does he respond when he see's his lead? Exited? Walkies time? It was the only way to get my rescue dog out from his hiding place when he landed here 18months ago. I had to crawl in under the hedge and put it on and he walked out no problem at all. He did his best to stay under the hedge during the day for about 4 days:(, only being coaxed out for walkies and to come inside in the evening.

Yeah, he's happy to go out for walks, and refuses to toilet in the garden.

Advertisement