Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Berlin Germany

• 09-03-2013 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I am going to Berlin soon, for 4 days.

Looking for good things to do like museums, markets, tours etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

If you're going to see one museum then it should probably be the Pergamon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Sandemans free walking tours are great

http://www.newberlintours.com/

They are not really free as you are requested to make a donation at the end of the day, but my wife and I had such a good time we were generous with our donation. The guides are usually university students trying to earn a little extra cash, but they all know their history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I highly recommend the insider walking tours - a great way to see the city and possibly even meet up with other people you can hang out with. It's also a good way to get your barings as everything really is within walking distance, although on the U-bahn it can seem miles away because you change lines, but if you were to walk it's like 10 mins! I also recommend getting a welcome ticket which will cover you for bus and rail travel within certain zones. Don't bother with the open-top tour - instead get the 100 or 200 bus - these go the same routes as the hop-on hop-off tourist buses. Invest in a decent city guide and it will be every bit as good as the tour buses (which I hear can be pretty bad as far as the commentary goes!). The welcome card will cover your travel on the bus so it means you get the benefit of the hop-on/off bus but at no extra cost!

Even if you are not a museum person, you have to visit the Pergemon muesum - out of this world. Also, book in advance for a tour of the dome of the Reichstag - you have to book in advance. Sadly we didn't get to do this, but it is definitely on my list if I ever return.

So first stop - the walking tour which will help you get your barings, meet others and also you can pick the guide's brains for places to go too!

Enjoy Berlin!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

The DDR museum near Berliner Dom is great. Also if you are interested in history, I found Topography of Terror really impressive. It's an outdoor museum built on the site of the former gestapo headquarters. As far as I remember it's close to Checkpoint Charlie.

Advertisement