Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under pressure due to sickness

Options
  • 09-03-2013 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in a Supermarket job for 5 weeks now and i'm a good worker, I do as much if not more work than a lot of the other floor staff who know how not to get caught out.
    However last week I was dying sick and called in, I returned to work on my next rostered day and my manager gave me a bit of a roasting over my sick day even though he knew I was genuinely sick.
    I'm sick again today including a very upset stomach, i'm planning on going to work but to be honest I think i'll be sent home, surely that won't put more pressure on me, i'm doing all I can to be there like !! Any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

sickworker wrote: »
    I'm in a Supermarket job for 5 weeks now and i'm a good worker, I do as much if not more work than a lot of the other floor staff who know how not to get caught out.
    However last week I was dying sick and called in, I returned to work on my next rostered day and my manager gave me a bit of a roasting over my sick day even though he knew I was genuinely sick.
    I'm sick again today including a very upset stomach, i'm planning on going to work but to be honest I think i'll be sent home, surely that won't put more pressure on me, i'm doing all I can to be there like !! Any advice.

If it is a certain family owned chain, that is just how they operate. Scare staff into not calling in sick, giving them hell on the phone because they are under a lot of pressure and absence is felt a lot more because they are so much more understaffed than they used to be. It's also the norm to just keep replacing temp staff, stores are heavily discouraged from making staff permanent.

There's nothing really that you can do, try get a cert maybe if that would shut them up, though I know you don't need one for single absence days. These are seen as a lot worse than a few sick days together as well. Maybe make the point that you are not getting paid for them so it's more of an incentive to not call in if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

2 sick days when you are there only 5 weeks is not a good sign. Particularly being sick on a Saturday does not reflect well on you. Of course people get sick and it cannot be helped. However in the FMCG environment such absences are frowned upon more than many other industries. All you can really do is apologise and do your best to convince them of your commitment to the job and that these recent illnesses hopefully won't be repeated again for some time.

Hope you are feeling better soon OP

PS I would definitely not make comments about you not getting paid and it being an incentive!!!! REALLY NOT the way to impress!

Advertisement