Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Ringtones

Options
  • 09-03-2013 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone currently use game music as a ringtone on their phone (or sound effects/jingles for notifications)?
    Modern games have fantastic music (and I'm not averse to a good chip tune either).

My current ringtone (for the last month or so) is this track from Hotline Miami. It's the music played when you finish a level.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

My friend has the codec sound from Metal Gear Solid as his ringtone and the surprise alert tone for messages.

Used to use the Nexus music from Demon's Souls as my alarm clock sound

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Got a new phone less than a month ago so was trying to come up with the same idea....and I got nothing :(

Just end up thinking of the usual LoZ sounds or such, wanted something a bit more original. Best I could come up with was Welkins "Squad 7...move out" for a message tone, but probably get sick of it after 5 minutes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Had the Mario coin sound for my messages for a while, but that's about it. I tend to end up hating the song on my ringtone or alarm, so never really put good music on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Have a Portal one on my phone for a few years now , use it for messages mostly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I use "The Man with the Machine Gun" for calls and "Victory Fanfare (FFXIII)" for messages.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Currently have Claptrap "Haha!" as my message tone and his dubstep song as my ring tone. You can grab them and a bunch of others here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I have the Jigglypuff song from the first Pokémon game as my text tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Grayditch wrote: »
    My friend has the codec sound from Metal Gear Solid as his ringtone and the surprise alert tone for messages.

Used to use the Nexus music from Demon's Souls as my alarm clock sound

I do use the metal gear sounds as well haha. Most people have no idea what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

have the "da da dahdahhh!" Zelda chest opening as my text alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Yeah MGS codec for me too. I have it as my ringtone for so long now that whenever Im watching something MGS related, like a youtube vid, and the codec plays, I get a little jolt and look at my phone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

That Game Boy start-up notification tone on the iPhone drove me bonkers for a bit. I kept hearing on all sorts of public transport, and would spend the next 10 minutes looking around like a goof trying to spot the awesome soul enjoying a bit of portable 8-bit goodness.

Mind, if you've ever taken a tube to Camden, an original Game boy isn't an uncommon sight to behold. Of course, the only answer is to whip out a GBA SP AGS-101, and throw out a 'you're doing it wrong' look. Sadly, I've only got an AGS-001, but it did the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I've been using this track from Ghost Trick for the last year or so as my ringtone. It plays when the character you are supposed to saving is 3 (in game) seconds away from death, which is the cue for the player to start panicking!

I'm pretty used to it now, but for the first few days I found myself scrambling to answer the phone, experiencing a profound feeling of oh****-oh****-oh****! Especially so when I was waiting on a call for a phone interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I've been using this track from Ghost Trick for the last year or so as my ringtone. It plays when the character you are supposed to saving is 3 (in game) seconds away from death, which is the cue for the player to start panicking!

I'm pretty used to it now, but for the first few days I found myself scrambling to answer the phone, experiencing a profound feeling of oh****-oh****-oh****! Especially so when I was waiting on a call for a phone interview.

Such a great game, surprised I haven't adopted this as my ringtone yet, must do so!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

MadYaker wrote: »
    I do use the metal gear sounds as well haha. Most people have no idea what it is.

me too :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

My friend has the Sonic collecting ring noise as a text alert, and Super Sonic as the ringtone.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

God of War,Rage of Sparta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I'm using a sample of Science is Fun from Portal 2 as my ringtone. Sadly I can't set a message tone, stupid WP7.8 :grrr:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

My text sound is the Reaper horn from Mass effect games

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Have the Sonic "Running Out of Air" music for my ringtone, Breathing in a bubble for message tone, Ring Collection for Emails, and end of level bonus sound, i think, for whatsapp messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I have the Metal Gear Solid Alert! for my notifications/text messages and have Zelda Gerudo Valley as my ringtone. I like it because it starts off pretty low volume and then gets louder. Unbelievable tune too.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Chocobo theme. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

http://www.thinkwithportals.com/music.php

"I saw a deer today" as my ringtone, but in fairness my phone is rarely off silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Currently using Deus Ex: Human Revolution Main Theme as my ringtone, but i like to change them depending on what i have most interest in at the moment.

Have used Ozar Midrashim from Soul Reaver, SMB3 (Overworld, Underworld, Undersea, Star Power (coin collect for messages)), Tomb Raider Theme, Age of Empires 2 Theme, and others.

My desktop log-in is the Playstation 1 log-in. Wish i could set that as my start-up and the disc start-up as the log-in, perfectly timing the 2 together! Alas, Win 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,781 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I have the Final Fantasy VII Boss fight song as ringtone

And Victory jingle for txt

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I use Crazy Frog from Crazy Frog Racer on the PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Can I ban a co-mod for bad taste? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just giving this a little bump to see if anyone has anything new!

I won't clog up the thread with static videos, but click through to have a listen.

My last 3 ringtones (after Hotline Miami from the OP) were:

1. Mario and Luigi Dream Team Bros Battle Music

2. The hub music from Duck Tales Remastered.

3. For River (Sarah & Tommy's Version) from To The Moon (a lovely piece of music for a ringtone - I actually got asked a few times what it was).

... and my current ringtone is Kitty Rock from Aqua Kitty. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Oh man now I want Steve's "Heyo!" from Borderlands as my notification tone

Advertisement