Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless internet near Dungarvan Co Waterford

Options
  • 09-03-2013 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Anyone got wireless internet on the outskirts of Dungarvan Co Waterford??.
    What speed are you getting?
    I am with Eircom (landline) NGB "UP TO 8MB". my best speed is 1.6MB down.
    Would like to get at least 5MB.
    Any hope?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Not sure if it helps but is that the speed u have always had? or has it decreased lately. If you have recently updated flash player it slows down your bb connection. I was getting 6 mb updated flash and suddenly my laptop slowed down to 1.6. I know it was the flash coz tried speedtest on an old laptop i had which didnt have flash updated and speed was still 6. Uninstalled new version and reinstalled old version of flash and hey ho speed was back up to 6

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mark in Lucan

Are you in sight of a '3' mast, if so: see if any of the panels point in your direction; borrow a sim and a router/antenna system and; check the available speed...

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

I am looking at the main MMDS mast at Carrondavderg outside Dungarvan and also some mast in Dungarvan town that has dishes on them

Speed has also been circa. 1.6

Mark and Davyboy....thanks for your help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Mark in Lucan

Does Dungarvan not have a fiber optic network!!!
    The mast should have antenna from '3' so check out a '3' modem near it. If successful, try a modem with external antenna (B683..) where you live.
    But before that, it would be time to visit Mr. Deasy about when the 30Mbps MINIMUM national broadband plan is coming to you...

Mark
    email to John Deasy tonight.
    Thanks for the suggestion

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

have you checked www.cablesurf.com

Cablesurf 120 Mb Now available !

Cablesurf a fastastic company BUT are confined to urban area of Dungarvan.

I have contacted a company called Solar broadband for info.
    Thank you for your interest. If you have any other ideas I would like to hear them.
    Thanks again

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

do you have line of sight to friends / family who have cable ?

• Advertisement

T&C would rule out what you have in mind!!!!!

garroff wrote: »
    T&C would rule out what you have in mind!!!!!
    EU law trumps that AFAIK

tonnes of encryption on the link

and you probably aren't going to get more than 11Mb on a long link

solar Broadband advertises 3MB for €30 but I do not have any knowledge of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

EU law trumps that AFAIK

tonnes of encryption on the link

and you probably aren't going to get more than 11Mb on a long link

Could you give more info on this EU law?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lukein

hi dose any have the sky inter net is it any good

'Fraid you'll have to ask Capt'n Midnight.
    My understanding is that Comreg controls all broadcasting in Ireland and do not hand out licences.

Lukein...if SKY is using the existing Eircom network, what difference can it be?

Could you give more info on this EU law?
    AFAIK you can share internet access.
    garroff wrote: »
    'Fraid you'll have to ask Capt'n Midnight.
    My understanding is that Comreg controls all broadcasting in Ireland and do not hand out licences.
    I'm only referring to using existing kit that doesn't need licenses.

stick an old 11Mb/s wireless card at the focal point of a parabolic dish and it'll go miles

If you have line of sight to a friend / family that is willing to share then it's an option. Wireless can be a curse though, if the link is robust it's the best thing in the world, otherwise if the link keeps dropping out it'll break your heart.

PARLIAMENTARY QUESTION No 415

Dail Eireann

To ask the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources when the 30 Mbps minimum national broadband penetration plan will be rolled out to the rural area surrounding Dungarvan, County Waterford.
    - John Deasy.

* For WRITTEN answer on Tuesday, 23rd April, 2013.

Ref No: 19052/13

Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources (Mr P Rabbitte)

Ireland’s telecommunications market has been fully liberalised since 1999 in accordance with the requirements of binding EU Directives. The market has since developed into a well-regulated market, supporting a multiplicity of commercial operators, providing services over a diverse range of technology platforms. Details of broadband services available in each County, including County Waterford, can be found on ComReg’s website at www.callcosts.ie .

The State can only intervene to ensure access to broadband services in areas where the competitive market has failed to deliver such services, as in the case of the National Broadband Scheme (NBS) and the Rural Broadband Scheme. NBS services are available within 31 of the 130 Electoral Divisions in County Waterford. See below for a list of these Electoral Divisions.

With basic broadband services widely available across Ireland, the focus is now on accelerating the roll out of high speed services. The Government’s National Broadband Plan, which I published in August last, aims to radically change the broadband landscape in Ireland by ensuring that high speed services of at least 30Mbps are available to all of our citizens and businesses, well in advance of the EU’s target date of 2020, and that significantly higher speeds are available to as many homes and businesses as possible.

During the preparation of Ireland’s National Broadband Plan, the commercial market operators indicated that they expect to provide 70Mbps to 100Mbps services to 50% of the population by 2015. Since the publication of the Plan, investments by the commercial sector are underway in both fixed line and mobile high speed broadband services, particularly in urban and semi-urban areas.

The Government is also committed in the Plan to investing in areas where high speed services are not commercially viable and will not be provided by the market. In an important milestone towards delivery of this commitment in the Plan, my Department will shortly appoint experts, to assist in the design, planning and procurement of the State-led investment. Intensive technical, financial and legal preparations including stakeholder engagement will be on-going throughout 2013 with a view to the launch of a procurement process in 2014. It is expected that services will be available in areas such as Waterford after the procurement process is concluded and services are rolled out. It is likely that, Waterford may also benefit from parts of commercial roll out of high speed services.

Through the implementation of the National Broadband Plan, we are committed to increasing the availability of next generation speeds significantly, with a view to ensuring that all citizens and businesses can participate fully in a digitally enabled society.

I would reiterate that the Government remains committed to ensuring that all parts of Ireland, including all of County Waterford, will have at least 30Mbps connectivity, through public or private sector investment, as outlined in the National Broadband Plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

Any luck with faster bb options?

Alphawave making a big play around West Waterford after taking over Ocean...

Is Sky or UPC an option outside urban?

• Advertisement

Alphawave package and price not good.
    As reading some non-flattering reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

No issues with them, always on.
    Ocean were a mess.
    Solar came and went.
    What are the options for area?

What package have you. What speed?