Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone for a pensioner?

Options
  • 09-03-2013 2:34pm

Any recommendations on a mobile for my septuagenarian Mum please? She has a Nokia 2310 but I think it's awful. It also needs charging regularly. I'm looking for something nice and small, loads of battery life and that's it really. No bells and whistles needed really. Loads of brownie points in it for me if I get something decent (especially tomorrow) :).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

The doro range of mobile phones are pretty good. they're available from O2 and vodafone. Not sure about the others.

I was kind of thinking of something old that was hot at the time and could be picked up cheap as chips today e.g Nokia 3310?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

The Doro range certainly gets good write ups, although I don't think the latest model (the 615) is available here yet. But Doro have all the basics you would need, especially if you're elderly with fading eyesight and hearing! In fact, I think I'll start thinking about one for myself now!

I currently have one of those fancy Android things and I HATE it - always seem to be hitting the wrong button or symbol and it makes a lot of weird noises I can live without.

Anyway, Jon Sweet Coyote, hope you find something suitable for Mother's Day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Doro is definitely the way to go, easy to use, larger sized keys and font it's also louder than a standard phone. It also has a panic button built in so in case of emergency she just hits that and it automatically dials a set number. It's basically a phone designed for older people, who want to call & text and don't want any of the bells and whistles which most manufacturers are pushing).

TBH I wouldn't worry about it not being the latest model, in a phone if that design there wouldn't be very much difference.

(Declaration of interest, I work for one of the network, obviously I'm only posting my own opinions here)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭JimFin

Nokia 100 from O2 shops is way to go. Great practial little phone, with clear buttons, good battery life and does the basics really well. Great value for money. Got one for an older person and it fits the bill perfectly.

Nice one lads...the Nokia 100 is available unlocked for €25 at Argos.I can pick it up this morning and sneak it in as a Mother's Day gift too! Thanks again.

Advertisement