Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc Computational Finance or MSc Financial Services HELP

Options
  • 09-03-2013 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi I am currently a Finance and Accounting undergrad expected to graduate with a high 2.1.

I am having trouble decided which masters to put down as my first choice the MSc Computational Finance or MSc Financial Services?

I was hoping someone who had done or is currently doing the course would be able to shed some light on the main differences and job opportunities of each?

I understand that the Comp Finance is heavily based on the trading floor but is this the only job one can get out of this masters and is the MSc Financial Services a more general degree?

My main interests are Research and Analysis of markets, trading and to a lesser extent Capital Markets but I have never had first hand experience in anything and I do not want to be pigeon holed.

Also I understand that the MSc Financial Services is a award winning degree how does the Msc in Comp Finance hold up to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

I'd also like the above questions answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Get in touch with Fergal O Brien ... I worked with him a little last year and he co-ordinated this course I believe ...

The great thing is UL KBS postgrads are highly viewed in the big companies out there due to the fact that you spend so much of your post grad doing hands on learning and interact with some companies out there.

Get in touch with Fergal O Brien ... I worked with him a little last year and he co-ordinated this course I believe ...

The great thing is UL KBS postgrads are highly viewed in the big companies out there due to the fact that you spend so much of your post grad doing hands on learning and interact with some companies out there.

Will do, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 29 eoinmjmac

Only saw this thread now, I am currently studying the MSc in Financial Services. Both courses are quite similar to a certain extent. The Comp Finance do have a lot of work on the trading floor, many of the modules are mixed especially in the first sem. Look at the modules on the KBS website and you'll get a better understanding, for example some of my modules only had Fin Services in them, others had a mix with Comp Fin, Fin Serv, Risk & Insurance, Tax, and Economic Analysis.

If you have any more questions send me a mail. I know I'm replying late to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I'm starting the MSc in Financial Services in September, looks like a great course, the trading floor with bloomberg cert sold me anyway. Fingers crossed

Edit: I know the comp finance has more to do with the trading floor but the financial services course seems more interesting to me as whole.

• Advertisement

1huge1 wrote: »
    I'm starting the MSc in Financial Services in September, looks like a great course, the trading floor with bloomberg cert sold me anyway. Fingers crossed

Edit: I know the comp finance has more to do with the trading floor but the financial services course seems more interesting to me as whole.

Great stuff mate, hopefully I'll be doing either computational finance or financial services next September. Yea its a good course with loads of job prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 FOS5252

Yeah I have been made a offer for Comp Finance, just a quick question my offer is based on me getting at minimum a 2.2, but is that a 2.2 in my degree ie 50%-60% or the UL system which is 55%-65% I think? I will most probably receive a 2.1 (67% or around) I am just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

1huge1 wrote: »
    the trading floor with bloomberg cert

Do they run bloomberg now and not reuters?

Polar Ice wrote: »

Yeah its now Bloomberg

When did that change? Last I was in there was two years ago and it was Reuters.
    I'm kinda curious why the change too.

• Advertisement

I think they were using it last year too. Maybe they changed during the summer of 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Polar Ice wrote: »

Any preference or do you think it matters?

Just out of curiousity

I haven't used bloomberg, that's why I was asking why they changed. I have the reuters certificate from 2 years ago when they were using reuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

Does anyone know what the demand to places ratio is like for the UL Comp. Finance course?

http://www.ul.ie/graduateschool/course/computational-finance-msc

I have heard that competition for places is tougher than the MSc Financial Services for instance.

Also for these type of courses, i.e. Financial Eng / Quantitative Finance, some courses have a lot more programming than others? The Smurfit /UCD course only does Excel and Matlab based programming/modelling from what I heard from a current student. While others do C, C++ etc. Any opinions on how this compares to industry?

Tarzann wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the demand to places ratio is like for the UL Comp. Finance course?

http://www.ul.ie/graduateschool/course/computational-finance-msc

I have heard that competition for places is tougher than the MSc Financial Services for instance.

Also for these type of courses, i.e. Financial Eng / Quantitative Finance, some courses have a lot more programming than others? The Smurfit /UCD course only does Excel and Matlab based programming/modelling from what I heard from a current student. While others do C, C++ etc. Any opinions on how this compares to industry?

The intake for computational finance is 10 - 12 while financial services is 25 - 30.

Not all who picks financial services want to do computational finance just a slight few might.

From what've heard as long as you meet the requirements 2.2/2.1 and you can afford it, you should be able to get an offer after the interview stage.

Regarding the other question about programming, I suppose that's what makes this course intense. The amount if programming languages you're exposed to.

AFAIK in computational finance you're exposed to R, python VBA/Excel, Java c/C++. Etc.

Take a look at dcu finance and industrial maths. I'm not sure how it weights but it's half the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 EmmaThomson

Hi all,

Just a few quick questions for people who may have previously taken the MSc Computational Finance as I have recently been offered a place.

I have just completed my undergraduate degree in UL in Financial Mathematics and received a 2.1 degree. What are the modules in the MSc like - would they be mostly theory based or more practical based? I understand there's 7 modules each semester - are there 7 exams each semester or would some of them include a lot of continuous assessment? Is there a lot of project work and assignments throughout the year? Would coming from a financial maths background be an advantage, or would most people who take this course come from completing a business degree? I would also like to know what the thesis is like? Overall do people think it is an extremely hard programme?

Thanks in advance,
    Emma

Hi,

I was offered a place aswell. I did a lot of research into this masters for accepting it.

Your background certainly helps. It's helps quite a lot to be honest. Most people to who did this Msc last year are from law and accounting , finance and economics, physics etc. But they put a lot of hours in, sometimes when it's get real busy some put I up to 50hrs a week.

The masters is a combination of both theory and practical, although you'll spend lots of time on the trading floor. All the modules bar the business ones have some practical work.

All the modules have a bit of continuous assessment. It's usually 70%|30%. Look at the book of modules, it lists the description of subjects and how it's graded.

The thesis is 15000 - 20000 words. I don't know much about the thesis now but some say its grand.

This MSc is certainly tough but if you out the effort you'll be grand. You Bsc shows you've the aptitude for quantitative stuff. A mate if mine who has just finished got 1.1 in both semesters. But it was all work and a combination of team work from those who were doing the masters themselves. Plus the lecturers were very helpful as well.

I'm nervous myself but I'm prepared to do the hard yard. I'm hope it answers some of your questions. I'm sure polar ice and huge can add more insight into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Busyness1

Just looking at the most recent past exam papers and course outlines, for semester 1, FI6071 is a 100% exam at the end of the semester, FI6081 IS 50% final exam, FI6141 is 50% final exam, SG6002 is a 48% end of semester exam. Then there is the trading floor cert and research methods in finance 1, one of my friends did a masters in tax last year and he said that the research module despite having an exam is pretty much solely focused on helping you with your dissertation(topics etc) and is not bad at all. Professional development 1 is an optional thing so not sure on whether it's graded or pass/fail.

Advertisement