Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi in Tipp Town

Options
  • 09-03-2013 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Work has started beside the Excel i think its great that eye sore will be gone and the clock tower done up should be good for the town

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I've serious doubts about aldi going into that location.
    Look at the artics that supply all the other supermarkets. How on earth will an artic fit along those streets beside having to turn in on mitchell st.

The customer base is the same. An extra supermarket will only damage the others. The super valu at bank place is quiet enough already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Good for the look of the town but for work wise they only employ the bare minimum down here in cahir not one cahir person working in there shop!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

digzy wrote: »
    I've serious doubts about aldi going into that location.
    Look at the artics that supply all the other supermarkets. How on earth will an artic fit along those streets beside having to turn in on mitchell st.

The customer base is the same. An extra supermarket will only damage the others. The super valu at bank place is quiet enough already.

saw a block truck going down the side of the building today no real bother too him there is massive room at the back there trucks would have no problem just driving in turn around inside and out again

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jimmydkid

I think aldi wanted to build out the limerick road but urban council wanted something in centre of town. I meet alot of people from tipp town and surrounding areas in aldi in Cahir so I think it will do quite well

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bartmans82

I hear that Aldi beside Excel cinema in Tipperary town is done. Done as in aborted, cancelled. Another setback for this dying town. At least 5 complaints have put an end to the 4 year fight by Aldi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Black_Ninja

Aldi has appointed the contractors who will build the company's new store in Tipperary Town.

The winner of the contract is JLS Stewarts who will begin work on the site on Monday May 27th.

The store is scheduled to open on November 21st of this year.

Commenting on the news local councillor Brian rafferty has described it as a boost for the West Tipperary and the revitalisation of Tipperary Town Centre.

He notes that JLS Stewarts are the same contractors who built the Department of Justice building and the new town council offices on Rosanna Road.

Fifteen people are expected to be employed at the store alongside the manager and the assistant manager

Tipperary Midwest Radio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Great to hear and great that something is going into the twon centre.
    Town centre business are really struggling with Tesco and Dunnes out on the limerick road.

I've been told that the entire ballroom has been demolished and that only the front facade has been kept.
    Really hope this isnt true

Paddico wrote: »
    I've been told that the entire ballroom has been demolished and that only the front facade has been kept.
    Really hope this isnt true

where did you think the shop was going to go? was still standing at the weekend well the roof is off alright, I herd only thing to be kept was the clock tower, anything be better than the eye sore that it was

I thought they would go into the original ballroom itself. Although its in a dire state it still has some lovely original features like the balcony, stage, ect.
    I would be very surprised if only the tower was kept. I would imagine the whole front was protected.
    When its renovated it should look great, bit shame about the original ballroom itself. A lot of memories for an awful lot of people who went there.

• Advertisement

probably going off topic here but the place should have all been part of the excel project and done up years ago and could have been preserved better that way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Lets leave the excel for another thread, it's in enough trouble as it is :P

Lets leave the excel for another thread, it's in enough trouble as it is :P
    I see the smiley face but I dont get the joke. What sort of trouble?

I see the smiley face but I dont get the joke. What sort of trouble?

I suggest reading pg 1 of the nationalist on occasion and taking a spin up Mitchell st so you can witness the progress on your beloved facade!

digzy wrote: »
    I suggest reading pg 1 of the nationalist on occasion and taking a spin up Mitchell st so you can witness the progress on your beloved facade!

Where did you get 'your beloved facade' from?? What I said was I hoped it was protected along with the origonal ballroom

I thought they would go into the original ballroom itself. Although its in a dire state it still has some lovely original features like the balcony, stage, ect.
    I would be very surprised if only the tower was kept. I would imagine the whole front was protected.
    When its renovated it should look great, bit shame about the original ballroom itself. A lot of memories for an awful lot of people who went there.

Have you been in a lidl or aldi lately? They're nearly all in new buildings with ample parking. As said earlier the shop has to go somewhere and a car park must be provided for.
    As regards the ballroom, when was the last time you or any other member of the public was in it. I' m no spring chicken and it's been derelict as long as I remember. I don't think too many objections were made to the planning authority for its retention due to "a lot of memories for an awful lot of people who went there"! Who cares? You claim you do. However you haven't been on that street in about two months minimum. If you were you wouldn't need to ask questions here about its progress.of course it'd be nice if the clock tower was restored. However l'arc de triomphe it ain't. Most people who will shop there will be more concerned about parking, pricing and other supermarket issues that whether a derelict building was demolished. Look at the the parking in town outside other shops-like tesco for example-people park right at the front door. there wouldnt be a prayer of shoppers parking in the market yard and wheeling their trollys across the road.Of course it'd be nice if the ballroom was viable but given that it isn't you've to respect the right of aldi to remove it in consultation with the local authority.

Best of luck to aldi. It's great to see a few lads getting work during its construction and the future employees.

Well I’m not too auld myself but funnily the last time I was in the ballroom itself was March this year. The side entrance on Mitchell St was open one wet and damp Sunday and the back door to the hall was wide open.
    Had a good nose around, saw all the original features then and took a few picts which I might post shortly. Even bumped into a school friend of mine who wandered in with a few of his brothers for the same curious reason as myself. About 12 people there at the time agreeing that it would be a shame if demolished but all assumed it would be. One oldish lady telling how she met her husband in such a corner.
    No doubt it was in a dire state, couldn’t get up the tower and there was rubbish everywhere.

But to answer your question, no I don’t live in Ireland anymore. I only visit the family once every 2 months or so. If the tower gets demolished (maybe it has, I don’t know) then it will be in one of those ‘memories of buildings’ in the town that have sadly been removed, presumably with much regret in later years.

Pictures of the old tower ballroom.Taken in March this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Anyone know if they are on schedule for the 21st?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

tipptom wrote: »
    Anyone know if they are on schedule for the 21st?

Not a hope.

• Advertisement

Not a hope.
    Had a look in last week but it was dark,they don't seem far of,whats the main hold up?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭blastit

Pictures of the old tower ballroom.Taken in March this year
    What is along the floor, looks like rows of something? Isn't a ballroom as in dancing?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

they are the dwarf walls the floor sat on.

they are the dwarf walls the floor sat on.
    Oh I see the floor is taken up, thanks

blastit wrote: »
    Oh I see the floor is taken up, thanks

The old wooden floor sat on these walls. Aparently it gave a more 'bouncy' effect when dancing.

Is the 21st the planned opening date?

Anyone know that the story will be with parking in there.

There is a huge site at the back which would offfer great town cenrtre parking. Dont know if Aldo own the whole site though?

id say the 21st is still good or pretty close anyway place is more or less ready thats only going by me looking in from the road haha

The old wooden floor sat on these walls. Aparently it gave a more 'bouncy' effect when dancing.
    that and the beer:D

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jimmydkid

Is the 21st the planned opening date?

Anyone know that the story will be with parking in there.

There is a huge site at the back which would offfer great town cenrtre parking. Dont know if Aldo own the whole site though?

As far as I know the green field site at the back is owned by Donovans mart!

• Advertisement

Was in there today,nice and bright and staff very helpful but I suppose that had to do with all the suits up at the tills observing.
    Tough to get parking but I guess there will be plenty of parking once it returns to ordinary days of trading.

Advertisement