Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What advice would you give to a clueless first time buyer?

Options
  • 09-03-2013 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some general advice when buying a house because I don't have a clue what I'm doing and don't want to make some major mistakes!!

Which estate agents bluff the least / most

Like, dont let the estate agent know your budget,

How to make an offer,

What my prioities should be regards location / condition of house / ticking the boxes I require etc.?

Here's my situation!

My budget is 120k MAX if it was an ideal house that I could walk into.
    I'm looking for somewhere within 10min drive to Cork city, preferably south of the city as I work on the south side and don't want to have to cross the city traffic twice a day!

I have a list of things I want the house to meet, but obviously with my budget I'll have to take some concessions.

My list is

Semi-detached / detached

Side entrance

Driveway that could be gated

min 2 bed

decent condition

decent location

I've found a beautiful house but it's sandwiched between a grand area and a v.rough area.
    that being said, two people who know the estate (one being a guard) said it's a quiet park and they haven't heard anything bad.
    I know the rule is location location location, so i've scratched it off my list, but the more houses I go see, the more this one is clearly heads and shoulders above the others!

Anyway, any feedback would be greatly received, have been reading through the topics and they're a great insight!

Advertisement