Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 10 Irish-born Boxers

Options
  • 09-03-2013 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭

Who are your top 10 Irish-born boxers? This includes all weight divisions and past plus present pugilists.

Revision 1
    Mine are:
    1. Katie Taylor
    2. Peter Maher
    3. Jimmy McLarnin
    4. John Monaghan
    5. Jack Dempsey (Nonpareil)
    6. Tom Sharkey
    7. Barry McGuigan
    8. Steve Collins
    9. Michael Carruth
    10. Andy Lee

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Bump Steve, Barry & Jack up one or two places & I'd go along with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

So you're not including Macklin, then? Clearly a better boxer than Lee. Lee still had too much unfulfilled potential to be listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

How can Lee be on that list surely Dunne should be as he was a world champion and Lee has yet to be

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 221 ✭✭Mr. Wong

People's dislike for Dunne astounds me. The man was a world champion FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

You left out Michael Carruth and yet you have Katie Taylor number one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

unknown13 wrote: »
    You left out Michael Carruth and yet you have Katie Taylor number one.

I did not leave him out. He's at #9. What is wrong with Katie Taylor being #1?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Knocking Taylor because she never fought a pro is harsh.
    How about Félix Savón and Teófilo Stevenson. They'd have hammered any pro.

You are free to post your own top 10. ;)

Mr. Wong wrote: »
    People's dislike for Dunne astounds me. The man was a world champion FFS!

He was hummilated by Kiko Martinez and Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Taylor at 1 is a farce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Worztron wrote: »
    Knocking Taylor because she never fought a pro is harsh.
    How about Félix Savón and Teófilo Stevenson. They'd have hammered any pro.

You are free to post your own top 10. ;)

How can you be certain that they'd hammer any pro? Neither were unbeatable as amateurs, yet they'd also hammer any pro? Not sure, but I'd take a peak Tyson/Foreman from that era(s) within 9 mins of completion.

As to Taylor. Greatest success story without a doubt. She is amateur, and a female. Too difficult to compare her to the male pros we've had.

He was hummilated by Kiko Martinez and Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym.

Dunne's name somehow always brings up heated discussion. Not in my top ten. Unsurprisingly!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

I would have George Gardiner in there somewhere...also are we counting Irish-Americans e.g Tunney, Sullivan, Corbett, Dempsey etc.?

walshb wrote: »
    How can you be certain that they'd hammer any pro? Neither were unbeatable as amateurs, yet they'd also hammer any pro? Not sure, but I'd take a peak Tyson/Foreman from that era(s) within 9 mins of completion.

As to Taylor. Greatest success story without a doubt. She is amateur, and a female. Too difficult to compare her to the male pros we've had.

Watch videos on Félix Savón + Teófilo Stevenson and you will know what I mean. They are 2 of only 3 boxers ever to win 3 Olympic gold medals in boxing.

I would have George Gardiner in there somewhere...also are we counting Irish-Americans e.g Tunney, Sullivan, Corbett, Dempsey etc.?

Let's go the whole hog and include Muhammad Ali?

Taylor at 1 is a farce.

Why? Look at all the gold medals she has won.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭moany

What about Wayne McCullough !! Does he count.

That would get messy so I will only stay with Irish-born.

Why? Look at all the gold medals she has won.

It's not a farce to list her.

moany wrote: »

A great boxer alright but there are only 10 slots. Please post your top 10.

• Advertisement

Problem with these lists is too many people waste too much time criticising others' lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Are the 6 counties excluded here? Rinty Monaghan, Wayne McCullough, Dave McCauley, John Caldwell, Freddy Gilroy ...

Surely better than Andy Lee?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

That would get messy so I will only stay with Irish-born.
    Ah well then definitely throw Gardiner in there! And yeah you're right, although I think Tunney should still be eligible since both his parents were Irish, giving him 100% Irish blood

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Sorry just noticed Rinty in original list

Watch videos on Félix Savón + Teófilo Stevenson and you will know what I mean. They are 2 of only 3 boxers ever to win 3 Olympic gold medals in boxing.

I have watched plenty of them. I have also seen them lose. I have also seen a peak Tyson and Foreman as pros.

btw, I rate Teofilo Stevenson as the greatest Olympian of all time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

moany wrote: »

He certainly gave Morales a run for his money alright. Don't if he'd be top 10, probably just outside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

Who are your top 10 Irish boxers? This includes all weight divisions and past plus present pugilists.

Revision 1
    Mine are:
    1. Katie Taylor
    2. Peter Maher
    3. Jimmy McLarnin
    4. John Monaghan
    5. Jack Dempsey (Nonpareil)
    6. Tom Sharkey
    7. Barry McGuigan
    8. Steve Collins
    9. Michael Carruth
    10. Andy Lee

Jim Corbett Mayo parents
    Gene Tunney Mayo Parents
    Mike McTigue Clare Born
    Coffey Roscommon Born
    Frank Moran Mayo Born
    Jim Braddock Irish parents
    Tom Sharkey Louth
    Jack Demspey Irish dad
    John Sullivan Irish parents
    Steve Collins
    Tyson Fury will be one of the best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Why would John Joe Joyce, Kenny Egan, Joe Ward and Paddy Barnes not get a mention here?

I know amateur versus professional is a different game.....but if Katie Taylor is number one on on the list......

Dont know a huge deal about boxing, but it stands to reason to me that the competition Barnes or Joyce might face would be far greater than what Katie Taylor faces.

Choochtown wrote: »
    Are the 6 counties excluded here? Rinty Monaghan, Wayne McCullough, Dave McCauley, John Caldwell, Freddy Gilroy ...

Surely better than Andy Lee?

They certainly are not! They are born on the island of Ireland therefore are Irish.

John Monaghan is already on my top 10 list.

• Advertisement

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Why would John Joe Joyce, Kenny Egan, Joe Ward and Paddy Barnes not get a mention here?

I know amateur versus professional is a different game.....but if Katie Taylor is number one on on the list......

Dont know a huge deal about boxing, but it stands to reason to me that the competition Barnes or Joyce might face would be far greater than what Katie Taylor faces.

I see your point. But Taylor has been so so dominant that she deserves her mention as much as those. Male boxing is without doubt a more competitive sport. But, the females are really taking hold now, and of late. I would have her ahead of them.

Advertisement