Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 10 Irish-born Boxers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭Worztron

Ah well then definitely throw Gardiner in there! And yeah you're right, although I think Tunney should still be eligible since both his parents were Irish, giving him 100% Irish blood

Gene Tunney certainly is Irish but I had to have some limit otherwise we'd have to include Irish-Canadian, Irish-English, etc. and it could get too cumbersome.

Include Irish-born (or those of Irish nationality e.g. Andy Lee, etc.)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Revision 2
    1. Peter Maher
    2. Jimmy McLarnin
    3. John Monaghan
    4. Tom Sharkey
    5. Jack Dempsey (Nonpareil)
    6. Katie Taylor
    7. Barry McGuigan
    8. Steve Collins
    9. Michael Carruth
    10. Freddie Gilroy

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

Andy Lee is Irish but not Irish-born.

I'm friendly with Andy but how he makes a top ten is baffling. He hasn't achieved anything of significant note yet in his career.

Andy Lee is Irish but not Irish-born.

I'm friendly with Andy but how he makes a top ten is baffling. He hasn't achieved anything of significant note yet in his career.

I updated my top 10 and look here re Andy Lee: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83608930&postcount=32

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

Worztron wrote: »
    Revision 2
    1. Peter Maher
    2. Jimmy McLarnin
    3. John Monaghan
    4. Tom Sharkey
    6. Katie Taylor
    7. Barry McGuigan
    8. Steve Collins
    9. Michael Carruth
    10. Freddie Gilroy
    So your including McGuigan who wants to to british ? and excluding sons of erin who were born abroad ?

• Advertisement

rusheen wrote: »
    So your including McGuigan who wants to to british ? and excluding sons of erin who were born abroad ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_McGuigan >> Nationality = Irish
    I have to draw the line somewhere.
    Why don't you put in your top 10?

Check out my new thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83642651#post83642651

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

This who is Irish and who is not Irish debate is one of the most tedious recurring debates we get on here. It tends to bring out the Celtic-supporting, dutch gold drinking rabblement, as well as the Leinster-supporting, smoked salmon eating west Brits.

Revision 3
    1. Peter Maher
    2. Jimmy McLarnin
    3. John Monaghan
    4. Tom Sharkey
    6. Jack McAuliffe
    7. Barry McGuigan
    8. Steve Collins
    9. Katie Taylor
    10. Michael Carruth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Revision 3
    1. Peter Maher
    2. Jimmy McLarnin
    3. John Monaghan
    4. Tom Sharkey
    6. Jack McAuliffe
    7. Barry McGuigan
    8. Steve Collins
    9. Katie Taylor
    10. Michael Carruth

peter maher/////////////////????????????????????

barney4001 wrote: »
    peter maher/////////////////????????????????????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Maher_%28boxer%29

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I'm sure he knows who he is, I think he's getting at the point that Maher wasn't really that good a fighter. So much to the point I'd suspect someone who places him at the top of a top 10 Irish boxers list as trolling.

Big Ears wrote: »
    I'm sure he knows who he is, I think he's getting at the point that Maher wasn't really that good a fighter. So much to the point I'd suspect someone who places him at the top of a top 10 Irish boxers list as trolling.

Peter Maher was Heavyweight Champion of the World. His boxing record was excellent.

Your suspicions are blatantly wrong. Retract your troll allegation.

Maher is underrated and underacknowledged, only getting recognised lately after Mattie Donnellan's book. I wouldn't have him in my top 10, but he wouldn't be far outside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Christy Elliot, anybody ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Peter Maher was Heavyweight Champion of the World. His boxing record was excellent.

Your suspicions are blatantly wrong. Retract your troll allegation.

He was blown away by the top fighters of his time, stopped in 3 rounds by Peter Jackson, and 1 by Bob Fitzsimmons (also in 12 by Fitzsimmons). He only won the World Heavyweight title because he was nominated to fight for it by Corbett (who had vacated it) against quite a poor opponent in the form of Steve O'Donnell. Many disputed the decision for Maher and O'Donnell to fight for the title, and quite a large number of people didn't recognise him as champion.

Infact he wasn't even the best Irish Heavyweight of the time period, Tom Sharkey was, who also was Heavyweight champion (albeit due to even more controversial circumstances), yet you rank Sharkey 4th overall.
    Now Maher certainly wasn't a bad fighter, he was a legitimate top Heavyweight contender/extremely fortunate 'champion' in his time, but he just wasn't near the same level of the top guys.

Rating him above McLarnin, who has beaten more hall of fame boxers than anyone ever, and had no dispute as to the legitimacy of his title claim, well that's just unfathomable.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

Guys seriously George Gardner, how has he not been mentioned?! http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Gardiner_(boxer)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Big Ears wrote: »

I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING BOXING FOR NIGH ON 70 YEARS AND I NEVER HEARD OF MAHER OR HEARD HIM EVEN MENTIONED,GUESS HE SLIPPED THROUGH THE NET

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

The pink panther has to be top 10 ? Irish pro champ at 3 weights !

barney4001 wrote: »
    I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING BOXING FOR NIGH ON 70 YEARS AND I NEVER HEARD OF MAHER OR HEARD HIM EVEN MENTIONED,GUESS HE SLIPPED THROUGH THE NET

1168834-calm_down_bro_super.jpg

1. Jimmy McLarnin
    2. John Monaghan
    3. Jack McAuliffe
    4. George Gardiner
    6. Tom Sharkey
    7. Peter Maher
    8. Barry McGuigan
    9. Steve Collins
    10. Jim Rock

• Advertisement
Advertisement