Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facing possible dismissal

Options
  • 09-03-2013 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I started a new job 5 months ago in an accounts role. I had never worked in accounts before but had a degree in business and my background had been in sales. the role is very varied we look after payments for different companies so with each one the procedures vary. My training was very rushed and was done by many different people and we hopped from one thing to the next quite quickly.
    I have in the process made a number of mistakes that are mainly due to just not knowing the procedures and gaps in training. They are not serious mistakes for example handing work to my immediate supervisor without a report attached, handing invoices up with one or two not in order ( by alphabet) , items on reports which should have been deleted, a payment made from the incorrect bank account - we have many , missing time deadlines due to spending time on work to get it right.
    My supervisor is very intolerant of these mistakes and when addressing them with me will say it is unacceptable and not to let it happen again. I have never repeated the same mistake twice and have learnt from each one and my knowledge became stronger as a result. He has never asked why a mistake was made or tried to support me to understand. It has been 5 weeks since a mistake and I made one the other day. He now says It is consistent and has told me I am now not going to pass my probationary period and that next week we will meet with hr and I may be let go. He has on a few occasions told me I would be let go if I kept making mistakes but again did not work with me on improving.
    I am absolutely devastated as I gave up a good job for this role and they were aware I had not got the experience. I have since returned to college and have done a computer course to bring up my skills for this job as I am determined to make it work.
    Has anyone any advice on what I can do or has anyone been through this before? I have reported him to hr over this treatment and this is also going on at the moment. If I lose this job I am not left in a good place with rent, car, credit card bills etc and with the recession out there I have no hope of getting another soon. Any advice at all from anyone who has been on either side of this before would be so appreciated?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You were warned not to make more mistakes after having done plenty during probation and was warned this would lead to your probation being ended; you made more mistakes and is now told your probation is ending. I'm sorry but to put it bluntly you did not pull your socks up fast enough and clearly you knew what job you were getting yourself into as well. Add in the fact your on probation, you were warned over making further mistakes I'm only seeing one outcome from your future HR meeting as probation is just that...

The only hope I can see for you is to try to show that you made no mistake for 5 weeks (which honestly is not a very long time), the training you're doing and asking for a final chance (possibly with extended probation depending on how close the deadline is for the current one) to show that you have improved. I'm not sure your Supervisor or HR will buy (I know I'd not) it but that's about your only hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If items like invoices not being strickly in alphabetical order is regarded as a mistake, then I' be asking to see the written manual where it shows the exact standards that are applied.

It seems to me that it really depends on HR's take on the situation. However hurried training, and no re-training attempts from the manager, could see it being their fault, not yours, that the job was not done correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If items like invoices not being strickly in alphabetical order is regarded as a mistake, then I' be asking to see the written manual where it shows the exact standards that are applied.

Trying to find loopholes won't really help if it's a case of not passing a probationary period. Once you're not let go for discriminatory reasons, they don't need to back themselves up like they would in a normal dismissal situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 blue4apple

Nody have you read my post in detail? The mistakes are due to gaps in training and things I was not aware of and could not avoid. also, each time I have messed up I have not repeated it and so have learnt but have gone on to make more mistakes for the same reasons.
    when I take my time to get things right I am told I am taking too long to do things I cant win.
    My main concern now is that the fact I have complained will mean dismissal anyway as I have brought everything to the attention of hr, is it likely they will keep someone on after probation who has gone knocking on hr's door?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

blue4apple wrote: »
    Nody have you read my post in detail? The mistakes are due to gaps in training and things I was not aware of and could not avoid. also, each time I have messed up I have not repeated it and so have learnt but have gone on to make more mistakes for the same reasons.
    when I take my time to get things right I am told I am taking too long to do things I cant win.
    My main concern now is that the fact I have complained will mean dismissal anyway as I have brought everything to the attention of hr, is it likely they will keep someone on after probation who has gone knocking on hr's door?
    Yes I did read your post; now re-read mine. You admitted yourself to making mistakes and not delivering your job on time; it is your job to step up proactively to say you feel you're missing information in area A, can you please repeat area B etc. and then learn it as no one will ever give you a perfect training or hand over in a position and it's not acceptable to try to find this out after you've made the mistakes.

No one will be impressed by someone saying X months later oh the mistake is because I was not told that; that ship sailed in the first month or two in the position (the honeymoon time as it's called here) and from everything said it's not a basic role either, i.e. you're expected to step up to meet the challenge, to be the one who's proactively solving things, double checking in time etc. and you have failed to do so by your own admission. That's why I also think your probation will be ended because your not meeting the expectations of the role as per your Supervisor's comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Nody wrote: »
    The only hope I can see for you is to try to show that you made no mistake for 5 weeks (which honestly is not a very long time), the training you're doing and asking for a final chance (possibly with extended probation depending on how close the deadline is for the current one) to show that you have improved. I'm not sure your Supervisor or HR will buy (I know I'd not) it but that's about your only hope.

That's a bit harsh, Nody, didn't you read the OP, she has explained that her mistakes are primarily due a lack of training, which no amount of good attitude can make up for. If several people are training you on several methods in a hurried manner, you can only realistically do some of the job right and mistakes are inevitable. Too often in jobs managers only see what you did wrong and make no attempt to change/improve the training methods behind them which has led to this situation. The OP even took a course to improve her work, what more could they do?

OP, I advise explaining to HR that you are not only very willing (and obviously capable, having done a course to help you out) to learn and have the skills behind you, but you need a proper training regime so you can get up to scratch on all methods, maybe do some overtime and study the official procedures (if there are any!) until you are confident. They cant sack someone who is doing and has proved that they are doing their best. Good luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

My take on this is that some supervisors/managers love to give a hard time to new people and you may be better off out of the situation. In any case you should document your position what you are doing to rectify problems raised and counter the issues one by one. They may want to move people on before probation ends and be looking for an excuse or re-negotiate your pay? Anyway don't worry make your best case and plan out other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 blue4apple

Thanks Wanderer2010, that's exactly what I need a proper training plan, and nody it is impossible to know that there is gap in your knowledge until you have missed something that you could have never known anyway or could have never asked about.
    If it is that likely I will not pass my probation should I leave now or will staying and going through this complaint process make things all the worse?

Advertisement