Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arc Mini Marathon 2013, May 6th

Options
  • 09-03-2013 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭

Just starting a thread for this to try and get some interest as its for a good cause ( Cancer Charity )

Last years thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78308381

Monday 6th May @ 10am in phoenix park

Good race for a great cause

some points of note

* seems to be a different track this year. 1 10k loop rather than 2 5ks like last year
    * advertised as just a mini marathon rather than a mens race ( as it has been every year until now )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

I always enjoy this race, all the proceeds to go to the charity. It has never got the biggest of crowds so opening up to women should increase the field, maybe attract them away from the Ladies mini marathon.

It looks like they have gone back to the original route which is the same as the Great Ireland Run, not the easiest of courses. Last years winning time was around the 37min mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

A good alternative to some of the other 10K's on aroudn this time.... TShirts this year instead of medals too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I think thats a good idea opening it up to women aswell(if thats what theyre doing). I know the womens mini-marathon gets in excess of 40k entries but it just doesnt work the same way around with blokes. We dont care about having a race just for ourselves, I think most men would rather a mix than the sausage fest its been up til now.

Just starting a thread for this to try and get some interest as its for a good cause ( Cancer Charity )

Last years thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78308381

Monday 6th May @ 10am in phoenix park

Good race for a great cause

some points of note

* seems to be a different track this year. 1 10k loop rather than 2 5ks like last year
    * advertised as just a mini marathon rather than a mens race ( as it has been every year until now )

I'm pretty sure it's still 2 x 5K Loop this year.
    I signed up yesterday! Good value compared to other races of this type
    Nice Technical TShirts on offer this year too.

http://precisiontiming.primo-solutions.co.uk/ps/event/ARCMiniMarathon2013

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

tunguska wrote: »
    I think thats a good idea opening it up to women aswell(if thats what theyre doing). I know the womens mini-marathon gets in excess of 40k entries but it just doesnt work the same way around with blokes. We dont care about having a race just for ourselves, I think most men would rather a mix than the sausage fest its been up til now.

I think you'll find that most women doing the mini marathon are not thinking of having the race to themselves, most of them are fundraisers and thinking of anyone but themselves ;)
    The carers and the fairer sex :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

I just got an email back. It's the same as previous i.e. 2 x 5k. Best of luck to all taking part.

Got my number today along with course map. Looking forward to it. All funds go direct to the charity so jump on board!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 adamsants

ARC 10K.jpg

Please think about signing up....it's all for very good cause!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

adamsants wrote: »
    ARC 10K.jpg

Please think about signing up....it's all for very good cause!

At the BHAA RTE race on Saturday oner of the ARC guys said that BHAA memebers can run this race for a tenner, can't beat that for value and for a good charity!

Just to confirm, is the start at 10am?
    Where in the park?

Is this a flat course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Steroo wrote: »
    Is this a flat course?

Two laps of 5k , 8k is flat . 2k up and down .

What makes you believe there are tshirts?

SnailsPace wrote: »
    Two laps of 5k , 8k is flat . 2k up and down .

What makes you believe there are tshirts?

Thanks. I was talking to arc about the t shirts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Skidrow wrote: »
    At the BHAA RTE race on Saturday oner of the ARC guys said that BHAA memebers can run this race for a tenner, can't beat that for value and for a good charity!

Just to confirm, is the start at 10am?
    Where in the park?

Check in was on Furze rd last year. Presume its the same as its the same course

Forecast isn't too bad for Monday, windy on Sunday but they expect it to die down. Not an easy course to get a PB on, as the hill coming out of the Furry Glen is tricky, followed by a sharp left and another section which is deceptively uphill for about 500m. But if you've done the ARC before, or various other races which use the same loop (e.g. Operation Transformation, Aware, Movember) you'll know exactly what to expect. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thelostdj

Does anyone know if there are shuttle buses from parkgate st like there are for the 5 and 10 mile races

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

thelostdj wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are shuttle buses from parkgate st like there are for the 5 and 10 mile races

I'd be shocked if there are. The 5 & 10 mile races attract more than 5000 runners, this won't get anywhere near that so there's no real justification for special traffic arrangements.

Really enjoyed this race today. I've concocted a little report for anyone interested.

Pre Race/Lap 1
    Arrived and got parked about 9:30, not sure if I had overdone Saturday afternoon training with a slow 10 mile jog (running Clontarf HM in July) which could hinder performance today. Certainly I wasn't feeling 100% as I made my way towards the start area. Didn't feel anything in the warmup though, so bang on 10 o'clock, we were off!

Start was fine, took a few seconds getting through the gantry, but apart from that, only a tiny bit of congestion immediately afterwards. A definite plus for me when it comes to the smaller races. Felt really good on the first lap, even the hill out of the Furry Glen didn't cause too much trouble, although I wasn't sure if I could maintain my pace, which had me in the top 25/30. In fact I went through half way quicker than I had ever run a 5k race! Surely this couldn't continue?

Lap 2
    I definitely wasn't going as quickly along Chesterfield second time around. My best supporter was at the roundabout though, to give me encouragement to finish strong. I don't know if the wind actually picked up second time passing the Ordnance Survey, it definitely felt stronger, but either way my pace wasn't matching the first lap effort. There was a small group developing, me, two guys in DFB tops, and a Sportsworld guy, as we went into the Furry Glen for the second time. I dropped the Sportsworld guy on the hill, but then the DFB lads dropped me as we caught up with the walkers and the ambulance approaching the 9k mark. I was fairly well busted on the seemingly neverending home straight, and as the finish line approached, I could see my PB potentially ebbing away. But finally I crossed the line, a PB unexpectedly secured by six seconds, and a very happy runner!! Thanks to ARC for the organising, and to all volunteers who helped out on the day. Well done to all who took part.

Great morning for it out there and a bigger field than last yeat. Very warm and the Furry Glen was tough. Well done to all who ran and all the volunteers.

Really enjoyed it

Absolutely, the heat took a bit out of most of us, definitely the warmest conditions I've ever raced in!!

I heard that one of the kids got overtaken at the end by some sprinting 30 something fella and the crowd booed yer man :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Just checked the results and I am missing, will bang them of an email to see if they can do anything. Got home in 42.32 to come in at the tail end of the Top 20. Nice comfortable first half but struggled on lap 2, furry glen was tough second time round.

I finished just behind the young kid who lost out in the sprint finish, there was a lot of people cheering him on but the older guy wasn't giving up. I don't think there was any booing but it did create a bit of excitement.

Did anyone think the course was short? My Garmin had it measured at 6.13mls. The numbers were up on previous years, hopefully Arc raised a nice bit of cash.

Caprica wrote: »
    Just checked the results and I am missing, will bang them of an email to see if they can do anything. Got home in 42.32 to come in at the tail end of the Top 20. Nice comfortable first half but struggled on lap 2, furry glen was tough second time round.

I finished just behind the young kid who lost out in the sprint finish, there was a lot of people cheering him on but the older guy wasn't giving up. I don't think there was any booing but it did create a bit of excitement.

Did anyone think the course was short? My Garmin had it measured at 6.13mls. The numbers were up on previous years, hopefully Arc raised a nice bit of cash.

I lost Gps coversge between 3-4k of both laps in the Glen. Happened last year too. Must be the big trees. Im sure the course was spot on

Advertisement