Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hf listening for pc/laptop

Options
  • 09-03-2013 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

hi,just wondering if there is a hf reciever available for pc laptop like the pc scanners and if so what kind of money are they going for thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

While you are waiting for replies try out this link
    http://www.websdr.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ratzo Rizzo

If you looking to listen to HF on the web try here...

http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

But if you're looking for a device to hook up to a PC or laptop then try an RTL SDR Dongle...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=rtl+sdr&_ipg=200&rt=nc

To monitor the HF bands you will need an 'upconverter' as these dongles cover roughly 50 - 1500MHz

HTH...

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

was really looking for one of those pc radios but they seem expensive,looking at some dedicated hf receivers on ebay at the moment,want something portable if possible thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

visit this site and download the console
    http://www.sdr-radio.com/
    I love this version theres plenty of recievers aound the globe to keepyou interestd from oz personally I love going into the US servers and poking around the local hams there.
    Its a little difficult to use esp the data decoder but onceyou getthe knack its brilliant.
    Pm me if you ned a few pointers.
    Ps theres a few guys in Ireland so its similar to having yourown reciever and antenna without the cost :)

...__... wrote: »
    visit this site and download the console
    http://www.sdr-radio.com/
    I love this version theres plenty of recievers aound the globe to keepyou interestd from oz personally I love going into the US servers and poking around the local hams there.
    Its a little difficult to use esp the data decoder but onceyou getthe knack its brilliant.
    Pm me if you ned a few pointers.
    Ps theres a few guys in Ireland so its similar to having yourown reciever and antenna without the cost :)
    downloaded that on to my laptop and looks great but do i need anything else as there is no sound,am i missing something
    thanks for the link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

radio with no sound?

there might be a problem there!

radio with no sound?

there might be a problem there!
    its not my pc thats works fine,,probably doing something wrong but will play away with it

daveob007 wrote: »
    its not my pc thats works fine,,probably doing something wrong but will play away with it
    Youneet to hit start radio on the top of the screen :) then it all comes to life it is complicated but god its worth it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bandit7388

yes i did that and still nothing,,,not to worry

ok heres a quick description
    First off open program, then on the top left there is a tab called remote via network.
    click on that, a small window pops up click on browse web this gives you a list of current radios to choose from.
    select your radio by clicking on the name/location and press select. wait afew seconds for the connection to establish a welcome screen will pop up telling you total connection time and inactive disssconection time.
    then cick start thats centre righton the top of the screen.
    the radio will start then sometimes there is problems just select a different radio.
    it is hard to use as there is so many features and really not enough help outthere.
    enjoy

• Advertisement

thanks for that,,works a treat can hear 11mtrs 27.555 calling ch

dont waste a great program on 11 metres !!!!! there is also a decoder on there for data works but hell knows how to teak it brilliant if you can get itworking right

...__... wrote: »
    dont waste a great program on 11 metres !!!!! there is also a decoder on there for data works but hell knows how to teak it brilliant if you can get itworking right
    11mtrs was just to test, getting some good hits since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 soerenswl

hi, i bought a funcubedongle pro+ few months ago, really good scanner replacement, all you need is some SDR software (hdsdr, v2.sdr-radio.com) - these 2 are most comfortable i found and it all works like plug & play.

the tricky part i have not yet figured out is how to decode digital modes with it, all programs i tested don´t get the audio signal in, even manuals for such special stuff were no help. that´s the only "bad thing" about it. coverage from 100khz to 1.9ghz allmode for around 189€ - no need to complain abou this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

can you hear SSB, CW with it? What do you use for antenna?

do I understand this correctly - there is a satellite that basically works as a repeater and that's where it takes it's signal from?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

soerenswl wrote: »
    the tricky part i have not yet figured out is how to decode digital modes with it, all programs i tested don´t get the audio signal in, even manuals for such special stuff were no help. that´s the only "bad thing" about it. coverage from 100khz to 1.9ghz allmode for around 189€ - no need to complain abou this.

Have you tried Spectrum Lab ? http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/spectra1.html

or connect a cable between the speaker out and mic sockets if you haven't already tried that

martinsvi wrote: »
    can you hear SSB, CW with it? What do you use for antenna?

do I understand this correctly - there is a satellite that basically works as a repeater and that's where it takes it's signal from?
    no antenna needed,work from various recievers around the world via the internet,can hear all modes very good so far if you have no room for outdoor antennas or wires,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

so you're not really picking up signals available at your location, instead you're streaming signals that someone somewhere has shared? how is it different from, lets say http://www.websdr.org/ or other SDR's available online?

thats true but the nearest location to us is up north or the uk.
    would prefer a dedicated hf reciever myself but this is ok till i can afford something decent.

Advertisement