Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom Fibre in Monasterevin

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭mac.book

Dcully wrote: »
    Just to update this.

At last efibre installed this morning !!!

Was hoping for more considering your results mac.book but im not complaining,im just delighted after years of crap internet.
    Test performed over ethernet direct to my pc.

3656991454.png

Hmm not bad but this close to cabinet you should be getting 97 - 100Mb/s. Possibly the vectoring tech is only enabled after a few days, check your speed tomorrow evening again and see what you get then. On Wednesday last week I was told that we were getting 64Mb/s down and 16Mb/s up, then when I actually tested it myself Friday evening, I got 94Mb/s to 98Mb/s down and 16Mb/s to 19Mb/s up. Also can you tell me what your line attenuation stats are? You can find them on the main page of the router config. If I remember correctly my line was ~12dB Also under the 'System monitor' menu of the router you can run a test which will tell you the maximum attainable speed on your link, for me its 132Mb/s down, can't remember max attainable up speed.

Best of luck ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

mac.book wrote: »
    Hmm not bad but this close to cabinet you should be getting 97 - 100Mb/s. Possibly the vectoring tech is only enabled after a few days, check your speed tomorrow evening again and see what you get then. On Wednesday last week I was told that we were getting 64Mb/s down and 16Mb/s up, then when I actually tested it myself Friday evening, I got 94Mb/s to 98Mb/s down and 16Mb/s to 19Mb/s up. Also can you tell me what your line attenuation stats are? You can find them on the main page of the router config. If I remember correctly my line was ~12dB Also under the 'System monitor' menu of the router you can run a test which will tell you the maximum attainable speed on your link, for me its 132Mb/s down, can't remember max attainable up speed.

Best of luck ;)

VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
    Line Rate: 20.477 Mbps 71.678 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 20.478 Mbps 71.679 Mbps
    Trellis Coding: ON ON
    SNR Margin: 13.8 dB 20.8 dB
    Actual Delay: 0 ms 0 ms
    Transmit Power: -10.4 dBm 13.3 dBm
    Receive Power: -24.2 dBm 0.6 dBm
    Actual INP: 29.0 symbols 30.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 13.8 dB 12.6 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 28.957 Mbps 113.200 Mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 20 RyGaR

I got upgraded to Efibre yesterday and am in Saint Evins Park Monasterevin and this is what I am getting...

19.21mb Down and 9.85mb up. Sorry I can't post pictures cause it says I am a new user..

Dcully wrote: »
    Line Rate: 20.477 Mbps 71.678 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 20.478 Mbps 71.679 Mbps
    SNR Margin: 13.8 dB 20.8 dB
    Transmit Power: -10.4 dBm 13.3 dBm
    Receive Power: -24.2 dBm 0.6 dBm
    Actual INP: 29.0 symbols 30.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 13.8 dB 12.6 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 28.957 Mbps 113.200 Mbps

Attenuation is fine, and attainable speed also. I'd say you'll be bumped up to speeds around 100Mb by tomorrow. If not you can call eircom on Monday and explain the situation to them, you're paying for 100Mb after all ;)

RyGaR wrote: »
    I got upgraded to Efibre yesterday and am in Saint Evins Park Monasterevin and this is what I am getting...

19.21mb Down and 9.85mb up. Sorry I can't post pictures cause it says I am a new user..

That looks dreadful, any idea how far from your house is the cabinet? VDSL2 is great but the speed drastically drops when you're more than 300m from the fibre cabinet. By your stats I assume you're within 600m to 1km from the cabinet?

Try running the same tests as Dcully, just login into your router and under system monitor tab run the test, then post your relevant results here, most importantly the highest attainable speed and line attenuation

Line Rate: 10.238 Mbps 20.479 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 10.239 Mbps 20.480 Mbps
    SNR Margin: 11.7 dB 20.3 dB
    Transmit Power: 9.2 dBm 11.5 dBm
    Receive Power: -6.6 dBm -7.2 dBm
    Actual INP: 29.0 symbols 29.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 15.7 dB 18.8 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 14.192 Mbps 40.432 Mbps

Am located in the middle of Saint Evins Park so really not that far from the cab...engineer said it should be way better.

RyGaR wrote: »
    Line Rate: 10.238 Mbps 20.479 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 10.239 Mbps 20.480 Mbps
    SNR Margin: 11.7 dB 20.3 dB
    Transmit Power: 9.2 dBm 11.5 dBm
    Receive Power: -6.6 dBm -7.2 dBm
    Actual INP: 29.0 symbols 29.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 15.7 dB 18.8 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 14.192 Mbps 40.432 Mbps

Am located in the middle of Saint Evins Park so really not that far from the cab...engineer said it should be way better.

Must be a fault on the line, definitely get onto eircom support so they can run some tests for you. Might be a poorly spliced cable, faulty hardware or anything of this kind. Unless the connection to your house is that far away.

Here's a chart for reference - fttn-speed-graph.gif

Just got off the phone with an engineer and he has informed me that the lines coming into Saint Evins are very badly degraded. So I asked can anything be done to sort this out and he just said "god no"..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You'll manage 30/10 on that current sync.

Was it the KNN fella you called back? He wont have the authority to say a main pair needs replacing, you need an actual eircom tech for that.

• Advertisement

Well I am not sure...he just said he was an engineer that works in the area and that the situation has been brought to his attention.

Just to update on this , i rang eircom this afternoon and got some lady who said my line is only up to 50 mb and said she never heard of profiles etc, when i quizzed her further and told her im currently getting 70mb she said she was from the billing department, ffs are they being tutored to spout up to x speeds garbage now too?
    Anyways i asked to speak to tech support and got through to an engineer who ran some test and said my line is capable of 95-105 mb but cannot change the profile yet as their software for the task is not updated yet but should be in a few weeks and the process should be automatic.
    Anyone able to shed some light on this scenario?

He said the current profile is 70/20 which im locked at thus making me agree the line can eek out more.

They're waiting for an updated prequal, that's normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Engineer called to my house on Wednesday to prepare for fibre. But it took until this morning to get the authentication (this is what they said) of the line carried out by vodafone.
    Anyway, it's up and running now. I'm in Oldgrange Wood and around 100m from the cabinet.

3676389183.png

ED E wrote: »
    They're waiting for an updated prequal, that's normal.

Thanks once again.
    Can you explain what prequal means please :)

Just strange the cabs the last poster and mac.book are connected to didnt seem to have a waiting period and approach 100mb off the bat.

Its essentially the rating of the line, the max speed it can take. They get redone periodically.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Its essentially the rating of the line, the max speed it can take. They get redone periodically.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Living in Monasterevin myself up near the graveyard, these are the speeds i'm getting. I'm with Sky broadband. Don't fully understand al the technical jargon bit are those speeds acceptable for where i am

Cheers

Living in Monasterevin myself up near the graveyard, these are the speeds i'm getting. I'm with Sky broadband. Don't fully understand al the technical jargon bit are those speeds acceptable for where i am

Cheers

Thats standard ADSL your on,id guess 7-8mb connection.
    I dont think sky offer fibre yet but there is a fibre cab close to you so its available to you,if your out of contract with sky id go with eircom or vodafone asap.

Check out this map, zoom into kill hill area and see the cab location, its in ard evin estate i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cybersausage

Just got vodafone fibre in and the download speed seem pretty bad at 20mb the upload is 20mb that's good at least but I was told I'd be capable of 100mb. I'm in Ardevan ping is 17ms. These tests were done with ookla speedtest over wifi but I done one through eircom speedtest and results were 93mb down and 16mb up. I did this over wifi also. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
    Thanks
    Paddy

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Just got vodafone fibre in and the download speed seem pretty bad at 20mb the upload is 20mb that's good at least but I was told I'd be capable of 100mb. I'm in Ardevan ping is 17ms. These tests were done with ookla speedtest over wifi but I done one through eircom speedtest and results were 93mb down and 16mb up. I did this over wifi also. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
    Thanks
    Paddy

Wifi is not an accurate way of taking a speed test. Some speed tests download/upload more data than others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 valleylala

Hi can anyone recommend the best broadband for Ard Evan court? Eircom advised they have efibre so can hv broadband, tv& house phone..
    Is UPC available? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement