Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART fine - please help?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

John. wrote: »
    Ok so Ill probably have to pay the fine. I just thought that maybe I wasnt in the wrong from what their website says and Ive seen it happen so many times and heard of people paying the fare to the inspectors when things like that happen. I dont need anymore replies saying how wrong I am :)

Thanks!
    it's a bugbear of mine that when getting the mainline train to connolly if you follow the platforms to the dart there is nowhere to physically purchase a dart ticket without detouring down the front of connolly queuing and normally missing a dart in the process - i have tried to purchase dart tickets on my mainline ticket but this integrated ticketing seems beyond irish rail - so in some situations in the past when i've been in a hurry i've purchased my ticket at the destination and i've never been chastised for it - i guess had i met the inspector i'd be fined too like john - but the staff in the destination station are very nice about it which leads me to believe it happens often

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭John.

Pretzill wrote: »
    it's a bugbear of mine that when getting the mainline train to connolly if you follow the platforms to the dart there is nowhere to physically purchase a dart ticket without detouring down the front of connolly queuing and normally missing a dart in the process - i have tried to purchase dart tickets on my mainline ticket but this integrated ticketing seems beyond irish rail - so in some situations in the past when i've been in a hurry i've purchased my ticket at the destination and i've never been chastised for it - i guess had i met the inspector i'd be fined too like john - but the staff in the destination station are very nice about it which leads me to believe it happens often

The staff are nice about it too where I am and in Dun Laoghaire and Pearse!! they couldnt care less as long as I pay my fare. Sure the guy in Pearse told me that it was stupid and that I should appeal it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

This comes up regularly enough. Technically (and according to the bye laws) you are right, but you'd probably have to go to court to prove it.

n97 mini wrote: »
    This comes up regularly enough. Technically (and according to the bye laws) you are right, but you'd probably have to go to court to prove it.

i dont wanna risk going to court!

i dont wanna risk going to court!

Not wanting to be the bearer of bad news it's probably a case of pay the fine so.

• Advertisement

Not wanting to be the bearer of bad news it's probably a case of pay the fine so.

yep.. thats what im doing

yep.. thats what im doing

Ninja post edit there removing roll eyes.

It comes up regularly, but no-one will test it in court. The bye-laws seem clear, although there are plenty of idiot judges in the circuit court system, so no guarantee justice would be done.

Ninja post edit there removing roll eyes.

lol i read your last post completely wrong! my bad

like i dont think its really worth going to court over. What would happen if i lost in court?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

It will cost you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

SI 109 1984 does not apply, the fine was issued under the Rail Safety Act 2005

No ticket = fine unless there is a good reason, i.e. station you boarded at had no ability to sell you a ticket.

Caught red handed, pay up and move on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

SI 109 1984 does not apply, the fine was issued under the Rail Safety Act 2005

That act merely sets the penalty. In terms of offences, it refers back to the CIE bye-laws from 1984 and various other pieces of legislation dating back to the 1950s in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If you use the dart so often then why not use a leap card or annual pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Hungerford wrote: »
    That act merely sets the penalty. In terms of offences, it refers back to the CIE bye-laws from 1984 and various other pieces of legislation dating back to the 1950s in some cases.

The 2005 act sets an offence of not having a correct ticket as well as the legal basis to impose fixed penalty notices to passengers.

The 2005 act sets an offence of not having a correct ticket as well as the legal basis to impose fixed penalty notices to passengers.

Relevant part here:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2005/en/act/pub/0031/sec0132.html#sec132

Interestingly it would seem if you give your name and address you don't pay the fare or fine.

Relevant part here:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2005/en/act/pub/0031/sec0132.html#sec132

Interestingly it would seem if you give your name and address you don't pay the fare or fine.

im confused :confused: whats going on?

Pretzill wrote: »
    i have tried to purchase dart tickets on my mainline ticket but this integrated ticketing seems beyond irish rail
    This is down to either laziness or incompetence to be honest. It's possible to get a ticket from any station to any other station. You could do Tralee to Raheny if you wanted (including bus or Luas transfer) - the problem is that the person in the ticket office in Tralee may not know the station code for Raheny and therefore wouldn't know how to issue the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Aquarius34

cml387 wrote: »
    The Dart is a brilliant service which Dubliners are extremely fortunate to have.
    Yet there are people like the OP who believe that they can travel for free and when they're caught try to weasle out on a technicality.

ffs it's not like he stole a car or something. It was a once off and anyone would of done the same in his boat. Get real would you.

i dunno why cml387 gets off on half reading somebodys post and and trying to put them down.

p**ck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Aquarius34 wrote: »
    ffs it's not like he stole a car or something. It was a once off and anyone would of done the same in his boat. Get real would you.

it was a train not a boat and it was a one off that he was caught not the amount of times he has done it.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    it was a train not a boat and it was a one off that he was caught not the amount of times he has done it.

caught doing what? evading the fare??

i fully intended on paying the fare. the inspector knew that and the guy in Pearse street knew that

• Advertisement

caught doing what? evading the fare??

i fully intended on paying the fare. the inspector knew that and the guy in Pearse street knew that

Yes, we know you did. There are lots of innocent men in the Joy as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Aquarius34

Hilly Bill wrote: »

He has made a thread about it.

A ticket is like what 3/4 euro? People have done worse crimes. Dublin bus owes me a fortune because I didn't have the right change and they keep upping their goddamn fares everytime I get on a bus. So it's what's good for the goose is good for the gander. It seems to me you just want to punish someone for a small mistake but over-miss the crimes most people get away with and never get outted. Seriously it's embarrassing reading posts like yours.

Yes, we know you did. There are lots of innocent men in the Joy as well :)

unfortunately the judge and jury didnt believe them

they believed me though!

its actually funny what people conger up in their heads! especially on forums

I thought it was ok to do what i did because I had every intention of paying. After talking to two people that work for irish rail they completely agree with me. It didnt even enter my head to turn into spiderman when i got to Pearse street and scale the 5ft barrier. I simply read something wrong on their website and thought i was in the right. Someone pointed out that i misread it and i said ill pay the fine. End of

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

I thought it was ok to do what i did because I had every intention of paying.
    What would you have done if there was nobody at the barriers or ticket office when you got to your destination?

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    What would you have done if there was nobody at the barriers or ticket office when you got to your destination?

Obviously he'd have stuck it in an envelope and left it there. Or he'd have waited there till somebody arrived. Or he'd even paid double the next time :)
    Aquarius34 wrote:
    A ticket is like what 3/4 euro? People have done worse crimes. Dublin bus owes me a fortune because I didn't have the right change and they keep upping their goddamn fares everytime I get on a bus. So it's what's good for the goose is good for the gander. It seems to me you just want to punish someone for a small mistake but over-miss the crimes most people get away with and never get outted. Seriously it's embarrassing reading posts like yours.

Excellent logic here; you can't carry the right fare on a bus maybe once a year and are owed change so so it justify's somebody not paying his train ticket. Sure it's only a few quid, lets all not pay our way on any small price tag :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    What sort of answer do you expect there? It's nearly as silly as asking "what if he had a seasonal ticket and left it at home" or "what if he decided to stay at home and took the DART another day". That didn't happen and ifs, buts and whats are beside the point.

What sort of answer do you expect there? It's nearly as silly as asking "what if he had a seasonal ticket and left it at home" or "what if he decided to stay at home and took the DART another day". That didn't happen and ifs, buts and whats are beside the point.

In most of the Luas, Bus and Rail ticket penalty stories that pop up on here, the line of "I'd have paid my fare but..." pops up in some shape or form sooner or later.

Always after they are caught, as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

In most of the Luas, Bus and Rail ticket penalty stories that pop up on here, the line of "I'd have paid my fare but..." pops up in some shape or form sooner or later.

Always after they are caught, as well ;)
    Which is why it's even more stupid to ask here. The only answer that would ever get is the same old cliches, so what's the point in asking? And if it sounded convincing, someone would call bs on it or else tell the poster to man up etc and on and on with the same old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

Why dont you send all the details into DART customer services manager.....

and see what they say.....?...

Plead your case......didn't want to miss the service etc etc....

and you want a refund of the fine paid.

Advertisement