Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART fine - please help?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

What sort of answer do you expect there? It's nearly as silly as asking "what if he had a seasonal ticket and left it at home" or "what if he decided to stay at home and took the DART another day". That didn't happen and ifs, buts and whats are beside the point.
    No they are not. The OP is claiming he fully intended to pay, yet uses phrases such as "decided to go for it". Would he have waited for the next dart if he knew he couldn't pay at the other end or would he have "gone for it".
    The first time he paid at the other end he couldn't possibly have known that he could have paid his fare as he got onto a dart with no ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Aquarius34 wrote: »
    He has made a thread about it.

A ticket is like what 3/4 euro? People have done worse crimes. Dublin bus owes me a fortune because I didn't have the right change and they keep upping their goddamn fares everytime I get on a bus. So it's what's good for the goose is good for the gander. It seems to me you just want to punish someone for a small mistake but over-miss the crimes most people get away with and never get outted. Seriously it's embarrassing reading posts like yours.

He had the chance to buy a ticket before boarding a train but refused to do so and got fined for it. What are these other crimes im supposed to over-miss?

John. wrote: »
    caught doing what? evading the fare??

i fully intended on paying the fare. the inspector knew that and the guy in Pearse street knew that

You igorned the big posters telling you not to travel without a ticket and got caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    No they are not. The OP is claiming he fully intended to pay, yet uses phrases such as "decided to go for it". Would he have waited for the next dart if he knew he couldn't pay at the other end or would he have "gone for it".
    The first time he paid at the other end he couldn't possibly have known that he could have paid his fare as he got onto a dart with no ticket.
    Are you asking rhetorical questions or do you genuinely want to know? It sounds like you wouldn't think there's a good reason for what the OP did no matter what excuse is provided. So why bother asking?? It's an utterly pointless question and doesn't add any argument or point this thread hasn't seen yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Are you asking rhetorical questions or do you genuinely want to know? It sounds like you wouldn't think there's a good reason for what the OP did no matter what excuse is provided. .

Except there actually isn't a good reason here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The fact that law is so often quoted as a way of getting off, leaves me wondering why they don't just fix the wording.

I genuinely want to know. I am curious to see if he will admit that he deliberately fare evaded the first time he stepped on a train with no ticket, seeing as he has done it loads of times.

Are you asking rhetorical questions or do you genuinely want to know? It sounds like you wouldn't think there's a good reason for what the OP did no matter what excuse is provided. So why bother asking?? It's an utterly pointless question and doesn't add any argument or point this thread hasn't seen yet.

There wasnt a good reason.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    There wasnt a good reason.

If you think there wasn't a good reason, why are you asking at all? I believe a different poster asked the question, but still. I don't have a problem with people not believing the guy, I hate it when people will ask pointless or stupid questions when they only lead to more controversy and recriminations when the OP does get around to replying.
    Peppa Pig wrote:
    I genuinely want to know. I am curious to see if he will admit that he deliberately fare evaded the first time he stepped on a train with no ticket, seeing as he has done it loads of times.
    Why don't you just ask the guy if he will deliberately admit to fare evasion instead of some rhetorical questions? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your intent here.

Why don't you just ask the guy if he will deliberately admit to fare evasion instead of some rhetorical questions? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your intent here.
    I did :confused:
    What would you have done if there was nobody at the barriers or ticket office when you got to your destination?
    There is nothing rhetorical here. It's a simple "would you have evaded your fare if you could"? You are the one who keeps telling me it's stupid.

• Advertisement

I did :confused:
    Ok then, could you show me where you asked the OP if he would admit to fare evasion or something along those lines?

The above question is a completely different one. Asking someone what they would do if they couldn't pay for a ticket at the destination is obviously a different question to asking if the OP will admit to fare evasion.

And with either question, it comes down to the same thing. No one in these sorts of threads will admit to something akin to theft, and if they tried to explain why not then none of you would even believe the reason. Heck, I probably wouldn't believe it. So why ask????????

Asking someone what they would do if they couldn't pay for a ticket at the destination is obviously a different question to asking if the OP will admit to fare evasion.
    Not if the answer is "I would walk through the barrier and not pay my fare".

To keep you happy
    OP - would you admit to fare evasion?

Not if the answer is "I would walk through the barrier and not pay my fare".

To keep you happy
    OP - would you admit to fare evasion?
    How does that make any sense?!?!

If two different questions have the same answer, it doesn't mean the two questions are the same!!

Also, no one's going to admit to fare evasion, it's a completely redundant question.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭John.

wow :confused:

if any mods wanna close the thread.. please do. ive got what i wanted out of it and have stopped reading replys. its just getting silly

I won the appeal :D:D:D

thanks to all the people who told me how wrong i was

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

That's an unbelievably fast turnaround, given that the incident happened at a weekend and there was a public holiday this week. Essentially, that's only five (office) working days to receive, process, review and adjudicate your case. Fair play to IE...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I won the appeal :D:D:D

thanks to all the people who told me how wrong i was

not sure whether to be happy or not.

bad that someone was able to avoid a fine through a loophole, but good that it might push them towards addressing the loophole.

That's an unbelievably fast turnaround, given that the incident happened at a weekend and there was a public holiday this week. Essentially, that's only five (office) working days to receive, process, review and adjudicate your case. Fair play to IE...

haha.. sounds like you dont believe me :)

I rang them today because I hadnt heard anything back. The guy on the phone checked my case out and told me I should have received an email on the 14th March to tell me I won the appeal.. which I didnt. he told me i had nothing to worry about

So I appealed on the 9th and they 'received, processed, reviewed and adjudicated' my case in 6 days.

Im curious why so many people were against me on here even though Irish Rail agreed with me in the end. Is it just generally what happens on forums?

not sure whether to be happy or not.

bad that someone was able to avoid a fine through a loophole, but good that it might push them towards addressing the loophole.

you live to your name :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

haha.. sounds like you dont believe me :)

I rang them today because I hadnt heard anything back. The guy on the phone checked my case out and told me I should have received an email on the 14th March to tell me I won the appeal.. which I didnt. he told me i had nothing to worry about

So I appealed on the 9th and they 'received, processed, reviewed and adjudicated' my case in 6 days.

Im curious why so many people were against me on here even though Irish Rail agreed with me in the end. Is it just generally what happens on forums?

Maybe it's the smugness and childishness that comes across in your posts. Maybe it's just that most of us pay for our fares and don't try and weasle out of them. Eitherway, as stated above, maybe it will highlight this loophole and it will be closed off.

• Advertisement

Swanner wrote: »
    Maybe it's the smugness and childishness that comes across in your posts. Maybe it's just that most of us pay for our fares and don't try and weasle out of them. Eitherway, as stated above, maybe it will highlight this loophole and it will be closed off.

I wasnt childish or smug to anyone that actually answered me without making me out to being a criminal. Even the person that pointed out clearly how I was wrong.. I said thanks and said id pay the fine.

anyway it doesnt matter now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭markpb

On this forum, yes.
    Maybe it's just that most of us pay for our fares and don't try and weasle out of them.

What makes you think he had any intention of weasling out of it?

I admitted that if i was in the wrong that i would pay it.

Irish rail decided i was right so i dont have to pay it.

But of course, Swanner knows best

markpb wrote: »
    What makes you think he had any intention of weasling out of it?

The fact that he walked past a ticket machine and decided to board a train without a valid ticket. Maybe he intended to pay, maybe he didn't, neither you nor I can prove that.

Regardless he was caught by a ticket inspector and was looking for technicalities to get him off paying the subsequent fine.

Anyway, it's done now. The OP has been incrdibly luck on many counts here, not least the quite remarkable speed with which IR have processed his appeal.

The fact that he walked past a ticket machine and decided to board a train without a valid ticket. Maybe he intended to pay, maybe he didn't, neither you nor I can prove that.

Regardless he was caught by a ticket inspector and was looking for technicalities to get him off paying the subsequent fine.

Anyway, it's done now. The OP has been incrdibly luck on many counts here, not least the quite remarkable speed with which IR have processed his appeal.

i dont know what you get out of assuming such things about people

its not really a remarkable speed at all either. Their automatic email reply that I got said that they were experiencing a large volume of correspondence and would get back to me within a week.. thats why I rang because it was longer than a week.

If it was so important to them, the 'technicality' wouldnt have happened and I would pay the fine. They obviously know that there was no way of me not paying my fare at Pearse Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭acidskiffle

Pay the DART fair twice a day without fail and have no problem with the OP.
    I would absolutely take the DART and pay at the other end rather than wait an extra 15 minutes (if I was sure I could do so like the OP was).
    And he seen a chance to not have to pay a fine from doing so and his instincts were right.
    All people are doing here is speculating whether or not he is a liar which is impossible and therefore pointless.

i dont know what you get out of assuming such things about people
    I made assumptions based on your actions. Get over it and move on.
    its not really a remarkable speed at all either. Their automatic email reply that I got said that they were experiencing a large volume of correspondence and would get back to me within a week..
    That makes it even more remarkable.
    If it was so important to them, the 'technicality' wouldnt have happened and I would pay the fine.

So you keep saying but you wouldn't really have had any choice now would you ? It would have been that or court and you clearly stated you didn't want to go to court.

Anyway, this thread is pointless so over and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Whoooooo I know now how to get free dart journeys,

Reposting this in Bargain alerts

I made assumptions based on your actions. Get over it and move on.

That makes it even more remarkable.

So you keep saying but you wouldn't really have had any choice now would you ? It would have been that or court and you clearly stated you didn't want to go to court.

Anyway, this thread is pointless so over and out.

:rolleyes: why bother comment on it then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement