Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City Swiming

Options
  • 09-03-2013 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I am going to Limerick next weekend. The Hotel I am staying in does not have a swimming pool. I will be staying at the Absolute Hotel. Is there anywhere near this Hotel that I can go for a swim. Not to far, 10 min walk.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

TonyMiggs wrote: »
    I am going to Limerick next weekend. The Hotel I am staying in does not have a swimming pool. I will be staying at the Absolute Hotel. Is there anywhere near this Hotel that I can go for a swim. Not to far, 10 min walk.
    Grove island leisure complex is a short walk from the absolute. Haven't got details handy, sorry. Enjoy your stay!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Grove Island pool is only a 5 minute walk away. Its near the supervalue.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 TonyMiggs

Thanks . That sounds good I will look it up. any phone number for Grove Island Leisure Complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Thanks . That sounds good I will look it up. any phone number for Grove Island Leisure Complex.
    Try that new fangled Google machine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

If you look at their facebook page they have all the pool times on it.

• Advertisement

Thanks to all. Sorry for not thinking of Google. Signs of Alzheimer's. It must be my age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Thanks to all. Sorry for not thinking of Google. Signs of Alzheimer's. It must be my age

I've never been to grove island so don't know what its like.

However, the UL 50 metre pool is about 10 minutes out the road on that side of town and obviously a superior facility.

You could walk it along the canal bank and bank of the river Shannon if you are that way inclined. The walk starts close to the hotel.

Hi, Rainbowdash, Thanks for that idea. I have walked around UL grounds before.
    very nice. I did not realize there swimming pool would be open to the public.
    If weather is good I will do that walk, otherwise Grove Island here I come.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

UL is definately superior alright but you won't walk it in 10 mins from the Absolute, more like 30 mins depending on your pace. I'd also be reluctant to walk the canal bank on your own, some unsavory characters can be lerking around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

bazz26 wrote: »
    UL is definately superior alright but you won't walk it in 10 mins from the Absolute, more like 30 mins depending on your pace. I'd also be reluctant to walk the canal bank on your own, some unsavory characters can be lerking around there.

The walk to UL would take ~45 mins. When the weather is fair, it can be a very pleasant walk.

And the pool is indeed open to the general public:
    www.universityarena.com/

I regularly walk the canal bank (almost daily) and haven't had any hassle there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Hi, Rainbowdash, Thanks for that idea. I have walked around UL grounds before.
    very nice. I did not realize there swimming pool would be open to the public.
    If weather is good I will do that walk, otherwise Grove Island here I come.

UL is great but it is much closer to a 45 minute/1 hour walk. You could probably get a cab or bus though.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

UL is only superior in terms of length of the pool. Grove island has clearer water and better attended changing rooms. If you go at an offpeak time you often find you might get a lane to yourself. Free hairdryer use also. Don't think there is much in it pricewise (€6.50/€7ish).

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

bazz26 wrote: »

Sorry Bazz26, I must ask when was the last time you were on the bank?
    Adding to what Lockman said:
    I`ve been walking/cycling the route for over three years and never came across any unsavoury characters lurking with intent.
    Extensive work has been carried out on a lot of it and trees have been thinned out, new tarmac laid on parts of it.
    At anytime of the day it is busy with walkers, cyclists, dog walkers and families out for a stroll.
    Granted ten years ago it may have been a different story.

TonyMiggs, just check the Arena website for opening times. Events are held there regularly, so just have a look before you head out there. Also if you are feeling adventurous and want to use the river bank, wear old shoes if it has been raining. It can get muddy and puddly as you approach the UL section of the bank.
    If you`re looking for a swim, either place will suffice, however if you`ve never been at a 50m pool, then go to UL for the experience, and have fun.
    Enjoy your stay in Limerick.

Brian

Hi to all above, I am back from my weekend in Limerick. Thank you for recommending Grove Island Leisure Complex. I was very pleased with it, and the lady on the reception (Mary) as very helpful. giving us info on Limerick.

Advertisement