Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screen dead?

Options
  • 09-03-2013 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Looking for some advice before I go ahead and order a new screen...

Basically the screen was fine this morning but now (after what I thought was an uneventful car journey) isn't working. It is receiving power and flicks on some of the picture for a second on bootup but then shows some blue lines and then goes blank (but still with power). The laptop is running fine, I can login and hear the appropriate sounds but obviously can't see anything.

I've taken her apart and put back together again hoping to rule out a loose connection but it's made no difference.

Basically I can only whittle it down to the screen cable is knackered or it's the screen itself... Any opinions would be much appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Have you considered telling us the make/model of the laptop ? Hard to expect a decent answer otherwise !

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Sorry Ken, didn't think it was that relevant but it's an Inspiron 1764, ~2.5 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Merl1n

did you try it on an external monitor

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

Simplest problem for you is that it is the screen, or there could be GPU issues, as previous poster said, test it on external monitor (-;

Yeah it's fine on an external monitor... is there any chance it's the cable? Don't want to order a new screen only to find it's just the cable :/

• Advertisement

There is a chance but not this is where you have to choose..take a chance on it yourself of go to a place with a no fix no fee policy and get if fixed.

Do you think it's worth me paying just for the consultancy bit from one of these guys and then I'll do what they recommend myself? I can get a new screen for ~€60 and I've heard people have been charged €180 for screen repairs in the past...

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Do you think it's worth me paying just for the consultancy bit from one of these guys and then I'll do what they recommend myself? I can get a new screen for ~€60 and I've heard people have been charged €180 for screen repairs in the past...

Thanks for all the help everyone!
    New 15.6" led costs €100 for supply and fit. .anyone charging any more is ticking the piss.. lcd screens will cost more but yours should be 100 all in

Great thanks for all the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

If you've been able to open it up to check the connections, then you'll have no bother replacing it yourself.

Dell sell them on Amazon UK for £45 plus shipping.

Plenty of videos on Youtube explaining the replacement process.

The only advice is not to overtighten screws on the screen bezel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

HelpWithIT wrote: »
    New 15.6" led costs €100 for supply and fit. .anyone charging any more is ticking the piss.. lcd screens will cost more but yours should be 100 all in

It depends on the laptop model, if I have completely dis-assemble the laptop just to replace the panel I certainly would look for more than €25 for labour :) . The last time I saw €75/85 were cheapest prices for a 15.6" panel, was last year though, have they come down in price?

Nick

The €100 I mentioned included fitting at €30 + VAT. I get the screens in bulk from China, Ebay prices for a new screen are down to about €60-€70, some sellers reconditioned screens at these prices also )-;

dilallio wrote: »
    If you've been able to open it up to check the connections, then you'll have no bother replacing it yourself.

Dell sell them on Amazon UK for £45 plus shipping.

Plenty of videos on Youtube explaining the replacement process.

The only advice is not to overtighten screws on the screen bezel.

You obviously missed the bit that he suspected the cable but didn't want to risk buying a screen if it is only the cable at fault (-;

I've decided to just buy screen and cable and do it myself, it'll be cheaper than paying someone else to look at it to try and rule out one or the other and the cable is only €13 including postage...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I had a very similar problem last year, brought it to laptop repair guy i trust, he disassembeled it and found the ribbon cable from monitor to motherboard worked its way a little loose and needed a cleaning, cost only €35.

Just goes to show its not always the case of a new screen being the only solution.

I had a very similar problem last year, brought it to laptop repair guy i trust, he disassembeled it and found the ribbon cable from monitor to motherboard worked its way a little loose and needed a cleaning, cost only €35.

Just goes to show its not always the case of a new screen being the only solution.

Yeah that was my first thought which was why I took it apart myself... I thought it was going to be something like the wire was trapped in the hinge or something but it all looked fine.

Advertisement