Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Chelsea Match Thread. FA Cup 10/3/2013. ko 16.30 ITV.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,316 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Man United were appalling in that 2nd half, unbelievable how so many players who get paid millions of £££ and cannot do the basics right. Shocking display

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Man United were appalling in that 2nd half, unbelievable how so many players who get paid millions of £££ and cannot do the basics right. Shocking display

Chelsea should of won 2-4 at least. They had plenty of chances to kill us off.

I think the only way to beat Chwlsea now is if game goes beyond 90 minutes.

Chelsea hot favourites now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

To be fair they're not machines and got a draw they didn't deserve. Hate comments like this. By this logic the best paid will win 99% of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Trilla wrote: »
    To be fair they're not machines and got a draw they didn't deserve. Hate comments like this. By this logic the best paid will win 99% of the time.

Nah he's bang on IMO. Playing at that level, sure people can make mistakes but the collective **** up over and over again was an embarrassment and should not be happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Whos going to call the police over Rios attack on Torres?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

James McCarthy to score the winner in the FA Cup final. :)

Eh......we'll let you.

adox wrote: »
    Eh......we'll let you.

its ok, I'm sure the Fa will charge him first ;)

Attack??

Is that what they call it now.

Attack??

Is that what they call it now.

I saw his lips move and say "honkey"
    Lucky to stay on the pitch TBH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

adox wrote: »
    Nah he's bang on IMO. Playing at that level, sure people can make mistakes but the collective **** up over and over again was an embarrassment and should not be happening.

It was one game ffs. We played poor... very poor.

It happens now and again. We were excellent mid week and lost. Awful today and drew. Lets move on to the next game and not be questioning peoples wages or puzzle ourselves as to how can modern day professionals screw up collectively in one game.

Wins vs Reading and Sunderland and the league should be over imo. Won't be easy though!

I saw his lips move and say "honkey"
    Lucky to stay on the pitch TBH

It was the 2nd stupid thing Rio has done this week.

You're right had Ref seen it he would of went.

Stupid and he could of went but I doubt Torres was in any danger of getting brain damage either;-)

It was the 2nd stupid thing Rio has done this week.

You're right had Ref seen it he would of went.

Stupid and he could of went but I doubt Torres was in any danger of getting brain damage either;-)

Shame he wasnt knocked out for a few seconds then, Rafa could have whispered "You play for liverpool and its your first season"!
    Bang, immediate change in form!

Shame he wasnt knocked out for a few seconds then, Rafa could have whispered "You play for liverpool and its your first season"!
    Bang, immediate change in form!

Mata chance at end was super too. The way he brought it down and turned the United player. Deserved a goal, but glad DDG made super save.

Chelsea were by far the better team today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Can somebody please clarify as to who the guy dressed up as Valencia is? He looks the spit of him but the only difference is that he can't play football.
    I want the real Antonio Valencia back,not this imposter as he was woeful today.At times it seemed like he was doing Ashley Cole's job for him.

zerks wrote: »
    Can somebody please clarify as to who the guy dressed up as Valencia is? He looks the spit of him but the only difference is that he can't play football.
    I want the real Antonio Valencia back,not this imposter as he was woeful today.At times it seemed like he was doing Ashley Cole's job for him.

The man is gone to the Dogs.

I have never seen player get so poor from last season to this.

2 completely different players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Indeed very lucky to survive that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

zerks wrote: »

I thought in the last few minutes against Madrid he looked good, a bit of purpose and he was getting some breaks but then right back to the gutless performances today. It's like he's developed a phobia of left backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The man is gone to the Dogs.

I have never seen player get so poor from last season to this.

2 completely different players.

He had a negative effect on our play as soon as he came on,shocking how he degraded from player of the year to this level.

Thought in the first half we'd steamroll Chelsea but the 2nd half performance was about the worst I've seen in a long time.Lucky to get the draw in the end.

Hope the rumours about Chevrolet funding the Ronaldo transfer come true as our dependancy on Valencia is farcical.At least Nani was a threat until he got injured whereas Val gave the ball away constantly & had us on the back foot plus he offered zero cover for Rafael.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Chelsea deserved to win, DDG saved the day. Evra looked knackered and was out of position for most of the second half. Doesn't seem to think it's his job to track back after he makes a run forward. Fergie had to move Rooney out left to get a bit of work ethic into that side.

Cleverley also looked knackered sand was uncharacteristically wasteful in possession. A real lazy attempt at a tackle when tracking back a few mins into the second half summed up his day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Why did Fergie refuse Rafa's handshake at the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

fullstop wrote: »
    Doesn't like him?

I think it was before the game that Rafa was complaining about.
    Said he waiting to shake hands and Fergie walked by him.

Asked about post match, Rafa said he was out on the pitch celebrating with his players so didnt see Fergie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Did they really not shake hands? Did they shake at the start of the game?

I just heard on the radio this evening that Fergie refused the handshake, didn't see the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Now why would Fergie not shake hands with Rafael Benitez?

oh yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Doesn't like him?

Well if it's as easy as that. What was the big deal about Suarez not shaking evra's hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well if it's as easy as that. What was the big deal about Suarez not shaking evra's hand.

Just let it go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

RasTa wrote: »

Just let it go
    Cause it suits you? Either this rubbish is an issue or it's not. Personally think people have the right to not shake hands with people as they see fit. But if you reckon Suarez not doing it was a big deal and Ferguson not doing it is okay then you sir are a hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Funny quotes! Especially the bit about celebrating at the end. It was 2-2 with quarter of the match to go. Chelsea should have wrapped it up. United were shocking, only for De Gea and some luck Benitez would have had something real to celebrate :) I thought myself the match ended in a subdued manner as is often the case of cup matches which go to replays (unless there is a late equaliser obviously or unless the teams aren't peers).

Benítez, asked why he had not shaken hands with Ferguson at the finish, said: "I was waiting – I was waiting at the beginning [of the match]." Had Ferguson walked past him? "Yeah. It's his decision. I was ready and waiting [to shake], I have some education. I was waiting, I have education because I know that a lot of people are watching so I know what I have to do."

Elaborating on why he had not greeted Ferguson at the end, he said: "I was with my players celebrating."

Chelsea will be hot favourites now.

Really like to win cup this year but think we blew it yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Any idea when the date for the replay will be penciled in?

ITV said yesterday the calendar was pretty full up for both teams, I presume it will be a mid week game if we go out of the EL this week.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Any idea when the date for the replay will be penciled in?

ITV said yesterday the calendar was pretty full up for both teams, I presume it will be a mid week game if we go out of the EL this week.

I say the FA are praying that Chelsea get knocked out for this reason alone.

It's their own fault. There was talk it may be the weekend of 30th March. But not 100% how true that is, only saw it on few twitter pages.

I say the FA are praying that Chelsea get knocked out for this reason alone.

It's their own fault. There was talk it may be the weekend of 30th March. But not 100% how true that is, only saw it on few twitter pages.

If the team can produce some of the form they showed yesterday they'll go through, I have my doubts though as the first goal is cruicial.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »

If the team can produce some of the form they showed yesterday they'll go through, I have my doubts though as the first goal is cruicial.

Was impressed with Chelsea yesterday. Only fault I had with ye was that ye should of killed the game and won.

If Chelsea get knocked out of EL then FA will breath sigh of relief. Could get messy of they get through.

Unfair on both teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Was impressed with Chelsea yesterday. Only fault I had with ye was that ye should of killed the game and won.

I think both teams were equally guilty of this - United in the first 30 minutes, Chelsea in the final 30. The difference was that Chelsea couldn't capitalise on their domination, whereas United forfeited theirs entirely. It was a mixture of head-scratching and hair-pulling to see the team go from playing electric football to suddenly not being able to string three passes together. Some of the individual performances were also downright despairing.

If Chelsea get knocked out of EL then FA will breath sigh of relief. Could get messy of they get through.

Unfair on both teams.

I was hoping to get Millwall in the Semi's, if both us and them got through, imagine the panic down the FA headquarters if that draw had been pulled out. :P

Edit : If we stay in the EL until the Final the FA will struggle to find a date for our postponed EPL game.

Liam O wrote: »
    Now why would Fergie not shake hands with Rafael Benitez?

oh yeah

How long ago was that? Is he that childish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

How long ago was that? Is he that childish?
    Yeah, he should just forget about somebody accusing him of systemic cheating.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Cause it suits you? Either this rubbish is an issue or it's not. Personally think people have the right to not shake hands with people as they see fit. But if you reckon Suarez not doing it was a big deal and Ferguson not doing it is okay then you sir are a hypocrite.
    Wouldn't be so quick to label anybody a hypocrite here.
    This was before the game, in the tunnel was it not?
    Did they shake after the game?
    Is there an obligation on managers to shake hands before the game in the way that it's expected of players who have to line up and do it as a sign of fair play before the game?

IMO nobody should have to shake hands prior to or after the game, if you want to do it then go ahead and do so but it's the media that make a big deal of these non-events, I'm sure Fergie and Rafa didnt lose any sleep that they didnt bother to shake hands.

If two people who clearly dont like each other dont want to shake hands then so be it, get on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be so quick to label anybody a hypocrite here.
    This was before the game, in the tunnel was it not?
    Did they shake after the game?
    Is there an obligation on managers to shake hands before the game in the way that it's expected of players who have to line up and do it as a sign of fair play before the game?

Look its plain to see who the hypocrite is:

from 1:00 on...

Interviewer:
    Suarez refused to shake the hand of Patrice Evra. How did you see all that?

SAF:
    I thought it was a disgrace, and Patrice Evra says to us this morning, Im keeping my dignity i have nothing to be ashamed of, and to do that is a disgrace to Liverpool Football club and they should get rid of him

Look there is no denying Ferguson's ability as a manger but the past couple of years have not been kind to him with regrards of having egg on his face on a few occasions now with his hypocrisy.
    And it is O.K to call him up on his hypocrisy you know.
    No one is perfect.

If you don't wanna shake hands so be it, but don't make a big issue out of it previously.

Leiva wrote: »

Look its plain to see who the hypocrite is:

from 1:00 on...

Look there is no denying Ferguson's ability as a manger but the past couple of years have not been kind to him with regrards of having egg on his face on a few occasions now with his hypocrisy.
    And it is O.K to call him up on his hypocrisy you know.
    No one is perfect.
    Show me a manager that isn't a hypocrite.
    Fergie didn't shake his hand because of something Rafa said.
    The equivalent would be Evra not shaking Suarez's hand not the other way around so I think it's unfair to label someone a hypocrite for not having the same view on each situation.

Yeah, he should just forget about somebody accusing him of systemic cheating.

What cheating this he accuse him of. All the points he made were clear facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Has Ferguson explained the situation from his side? Is it possible there was a misunderstanding?

I think Ferguson should have shaken it, I'm sure he's forced himself to shake the hand of plenty of people he doesn't like in the past. Benitez is a man under fire and there's no need to feel threatened by him.

That said he should be more concerned about the United defense's distribution of the ball yesterday. We were asking to be beaten in the last 30 minutes.

Has Ferguson explained the situation from his side? Is it possible there was a misunderstanding?

I think Ferguson should have shaken it, I'm sure he's forced himself to shake the hand of plenty of people he doesn't like in the past. Benitez is a man under fire and there's no need to feel threatened by him.

That said he should be more concerned about the United defense's distribution of the ball yesterday. We were asking to be beaten in the last 30 minutes.

In his own words he is a disgrace to Manchester United football club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

niallo27 wrote: »
    In his own words he is a disgrace to Manchester United football club.

I'm with you Niallo, I think they are changing the text on the plaque by his statue at Old Trafford to say "Handshake snubber"

I forgot to mention in my last post that this doesn't compare to what Suarez did, not even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

This is a non event and hasn't given us any new, surprising or even interesting insight into the character of either manager.

Fergie spits the dummy and Rafa slings some mud.....nothing to see here.

Essien wrote: »
    This is a non event and hasn't given us any new, surprising or even interesting insight into the character of either manager.

Fergie spits the dummy and Rafa slings some mud.....nothing to see here.

It is a non event alright. It makes for good light entertainment though. Rafa definetly bothers him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement